The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Couple of new barrels - Golden and White spined

Spent far too much on cacti with these two new barrels - but how old do you think they are?

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0636crop.jpg

And just because I'm so stoked with them, my macro pups :)

IMG_0640.jpg

Edited by bit

Nice collection, Id say 20-25 years old?..

Crikey! That's nearly as old as me! Added a new closeup pic :) That makes me feel a bit better at the price I paid..

Bit, they are GREAT new hedgehog mammas with pups. I'm jealous. :drool2: What type r they?

Bit, they are GREAT new hedgehog mammas with pups. I'm jealous. :drool2: What type r they?

Thanks :) Can't claim anything about them, as I grew them with my pocket, so to speak. They're just regular 'Golden Barrel' Echinocactus grusonii as far as I know. One is the slightly rarer white spined variety.

kinda doubt it, you can grow 'em pretty big under the right conditions.

Nice Barrels :drool2: Not sure how old they are but who cares that are mighty specimens.

Great buy.

They do grow quiet quickly in the correct conditions, i have many that size i have grown from seed, About 8 to 10 years. Still is quiet a long time compared to shrubs and things. Some people get a large one and damage the top off the head forcing it to frow out pups, they grow really fast compared to seed, then they pull them off and re root them.

I want your white spined barrel 20 years off collecting I have only 2 off them.

Id swap you a large lopho ?

Holy cow, thanks for the encouragement guys :) Before the end of summer I'll put all my cacti together for a photo - this is only about 2/3 of them :)

They do grow quiet quickly in the correct conditions, i have many that size i have grown from seed, About 8 to 10 years. Still is quiet a long time compared to shrubs and things. Some people get a large one and damage the top off the head forcing it to frow out pups, they grow really fast compared to seed, then they pull them off and re root them.

I want your white spined barrel 20 years off collecting I have only 2 off them.

Id swap you a large lopho ?

Thanks man, I'd be tempted if the logistics of cacti swapping between sydney and auckland were simpler? I don't have any loph at all!

Here is my only barrel and the oldest specimen in my collection. Its over 10 years old. NOt sure of exact age. I am considering trading it if i get some reasonable offers. The only reason why i want to get rid of it is it don't want to keep potting it up as it gets bigger, i want something i can plant in my garden (in the ground) and that wont suffer if things get too wet. I don't think they are well adapted for wet subtropical climates near the coast (where i live). If i do decide to trade it it will be brisbane pick up only. anyway here are the pics.

post-899-1174357007_thumb.jpg

post-899-1174357062_thumb.jpg

post-899-1174356939_thumb.jpg

Why not just make a site very free draining prophet? I'm thinking of planting a whole heap of cacti at home, getting sick of spending so much cash on potting mix, it'll just make removal of them harder when I leave..

Those babies get huge and stunning...