The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

Cacti photos, ID, planting question.

Hey guys I had the good fortune to stumble upon this nice cactus garden while I was driving willy nilly around the place this weekend. There is one hell of trich I was absolutely started to find, perhaps you could have a go at an ID.

Also, there is a picture of the cutting the owner gave me, it's sitting next to a fat piece of the standard San Pedro I got a few weeks back, so you can see the difference.

Now, regarding planting of this cutting, it is best to cut it off flat (like the standard SP in the photo) or leave as is, where it has been cut off at the point it joined the main trunk (make sense?)?

Any idea was the other monster cactus is with the sun behind it, I've been seeing this everywhere, even in my dreams.

Anyway this cuttting makes me feel alright about being outbid on Eileen while I was sleeping :unsure:

Also, the owner said a combination of natural honey and water applied to the bottom of the cactus (or any plant cutting) encourages root growth. Anyone know of this method?

Thanks very much,

Micro

post-1521-1173839438_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1173839637_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1173839919_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1173840194_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys I had the good fortune to stumble upon this nice cactus garden while I was driving willy nilly around the place this weekend. There is one hell of trich I was absolutely started to find, perhaps you could have a go at an ID.

Also, there is a picture of the cutting the owner gave me, it's sitting next to a fat piece of the standard San Pedro I got a few weeks back, so you can see the difference.

Now, regarding planting of this cutting, it is best to cut it off flat (like the standard SP in the photo) or leave as is, where it has been cut off at the point it joined the main trunk (make sense?)?

Any idea was the other monster cactus is with the sun behind it, I've been seeing this everywhere, even in my dreams.

Anyway this cuttting makes me feel alright about being outbid on Eileen while I was sleeping :unsure:

Also, the owner said a combination of natural honey and water applied to the bottom of the cactus (or any plant cutting) encourages root growth. Anyone know of this method?

Thanks very much,

Micro

sort of looks similar to a some cuttings which I have... mine however, has not really got the blue colouring, is skinnier and has spikes closer together(although is probally a new piece also) I could not ID though... yours does have some macrogonus and bridgesii characteristics though, but does not look entirely like either of them

Edited by shroomytoonos

The cutting on the left is what I've been calling Macrogonus, doesn't look Bridgesoid to me at all.

The cutting on the left is what I've been calling Macrogonus, doesn't look Bridgesoid to me at all.

this is what I would call a macrogonus, note the spines which are alot shorter than the example above, although spine configuration is very similar. the reason I drew comparison to bridgesii is only due to spine length

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...ost&id=4422

Edited by shroomytoonos

Sorry to disappoint but spikey is a KK242(cuscoensis?) i.e. not active.

The tall one is a mexican fencepost.

Yeah I thought cuzco as well, but not quite

other one looks like Pachycereus marginatus.

honey does work well for most plants but Ive heard no real evidence of anything speeding up cacti rooting.

Edited by shruman

In pic#1 you have a few differen't cacti there, the red flowering one looks like a Cleistocactus sp. possibly a few different species of these in that pic, to me looks like also present is an Oreocereus or Cephalocereus "old man cactus" the one with the hair. Also that big Stenocereus in the background and a few others that I can not readily identify.

In pic #2 the big guy with the sun behind looks like Stenocereus sp. possibly marginatus.

In pic #3 & 4 I would have to agree that it appears to be a Trichocereus macrogonus but also seems to have some slight peruvinoid resemblance, so possibly just Trichocereus macrogonus or even a hybrid between this and T. peruvianus.

Its becoming increasingly popular to call it Cuzcoensis :) who knows?

... btw, I would say the little tip poking its head in on the photo of the cuttings looks exactly like my KK242's, but like I said the cutting looks more like something I've got I've been told was a Macro, are they from the same plant?

Hey thanks guys that was sort of what I expected, I can't really work out what name to settle on and it probably doesn't matter, it's a beautiful plant and I look forward to seeing it grow :rolleyes:

... btw, I would say the little tip poking its head in on the photo of the cuttings looks exactly like my KK242's, but like I said the cutting looks more like something I've got I've been told was a Macro, are they from the same plant?

The tip poking out is attached to another cutting from the same big plant.

I love that tall one, very impressive. I've seen smaller similar ones in nurseries labelled Stenocereus Marginatus.

He had some nice old man cacti growing too.

Thanks again,

Micro

Hey thanks guys that was sort of what I expected, I can't really work out what name to settle on and it probably doesn't matter, it's a beautiful plant and I look forward to seeing it grow :rolleyes:

The tip poking out is attached to another cutting from the same big plant.

I love that tall one, very impressive. I've seen smaller similar ones in nurseries labelled Stenocereus Marginatus.

He had some nice old man cacti growing too.

Thanks again,

Micro

Actually, I just went back and zoomed in on that pic... I'm not sure why I said exactly, and I definitely was overeager when I italicized it. I would say it is similar to some of the KK242's I've got here, but the big piece looks like one I've got that I've been considering a macro. But, the other definite macros I have look quite different to yours, and the growing tip on the one that looks similar looks pretty different to the tip I can see poking in in your photo.

Well, I'm sure that cleared things NOT up.

Hehe I just watched Borat.

Haha, you know I'm not even sure why I asked for an ID actually in the first place! A rose by any other name...

Haha, you know I'm not even sure why I asked for an ID actually in the first place! A rose by any other name...

changing the name of a rose won't change what it is, likewise with a cactus, the name however gives us an indication of possible activity.

Nice finds btw

Also the question of KK242... Cuzcoensis or Peruvianus and is it active or not?

Also the question of KK242... Cuzcoensis or Peruvianus and is it active or not?

afaik peruvianus... and very active

Trout's Notes KK242

Edited by --{ MAYJA }--

in regards to kk242 as is in alot of cactis cases i think, the personality is developed with 'age'

so dont be biased if u have used young material. worth looking at with older material in aus, or have u?

Sorry to disappoint but spikey is a KK242(cuscoensis?) i.e. not active.

The tall one is a mexican fencepost.

I was basing my question on that ^^^

I just found this website with a bit of a clarification on the peruvianus/cuzcoensis question.

[edit] cool website, check out the buddah in the growroom!

Greenhouse6-07_B.jpg

Edited by El Duderino

Only one way to find out about the "personality" of a plant, NEVER take anothers word for it, try yaself then you know for sure.