The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

MG, immature seed?

On an ipomea violacea vine, the seed pods have dried and turned brown, what i thought was a sign of maturity.

Every seed in the pod is a light brown/tan colour though.

Gomaos, i noticed in the archives you had the same problem. Is this a trait of the specific species you have, or was it just a case of the seed not maturing properly?

Has anyone experienced this?

thanks, gerbil

yes,my vine last year produced seed of this colour,but no probs...all germinated.

had me thinkin a bit too.... :D

evening,

germination has been no problem, 24-48 hours no worries...but germination is not the issue

on the topic of MG,

and gomaos i suppose you'd be the best to answer this.

3 seperate plants, 2 are showing large dark purple/blue flowers and large leaves.

1 showing small light blue/purple/pink flowers and smaller leaves

On the darker plants, flowers are forming in two different ways. One started out by spear head looking things, which are quite hard, and are up until the very last moments of flowering.

and the other, more along the lines of a top and bottom lip, which the flower emerges from, the flower is very soft and translucent up until the moment of flowering.

The lighter coloured flower is producing the tan seed. the other 2 are yet to finish seeding.

I am under the impression that all 3 plants are the same species?

The seeds that the flowers leave you with, are they tan, or blackish? what type of flowers do these seeds come from?

thanks all

gerbil

[ 01. March 2003, 22:40: Message edited by: gerbil ]

i recently received seeds like these from mandragora,she said they were mixed colour ipomoea purpurea.

t s t .

hmm thats interesting, the plant with the single colour flower is the one with tan seeds.

ah i forgot to mention, shit.

tst, i think it you was you that mentioned the 5 pointed flower?

the darker flower, and the "hard" spear, which turn into a flower, The blue flower has been 5 pointed. Was that what you experienced? and what ever happened with that pod you tagged?

Gom, your ipomoea violacea was SAB sourced?, if this is your only species, is the variation due to age etc?

could the SAB source be ipomoea purpurea?

i need to read up a bit more on the species i think

[ 02. March 2003, 00:03: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Sorry to answer this so late.

The only explanation I can offer is that there must have been a mix-up.

I thought all plants were ipomoea violacea from sab seed, but they could have also been originating from the AFSR or tstantra.

Sorry for that, I'll try for it not to happen again...

It's actually a good thing gomaos, more species.

The thing i found interesting about the difference in plants, are the "hard" and the "lipped" parts where the flower emerges from.

Once the harder flower plants set seed, will see if they come up black.

Will take a better look at them tomorrow and see if there are many differences

a few mornings ago i went outside to my violacea patch,about half the flowers were 'magenta' instead of violet/purple like the rest.i assume colder night time temps had been responsible.rain,heat,wind and time will also cause variations in mg flower colour.

the plants in the patch are so tall the ends now fall down and climb back up them selves,these cascades show strange growth habits,enlarged calyx and ovaries,GREEN flowers.am waiting to see if they set seed.i assume some elements are having trouble in the reversed sap flow,causing a deficency.or it could be an excess of some nutrient?

t s t .

My ipomea violaceae/tricolor plants

always set dark brown to black seeds,

I only get tan light colored ones in

unripened pods.The flowers change colour

during the day from bright violet/blue in the

morning to violet/red in the afternoon.I,ve

made m.g. wine before but did,nt get around to

drinking it,fantastic colour though,blue at

first then it changes to violet/red after a

while.I,ll have to give it another go one day.

Daily flower pH change, interesting. The coloring matter are anthocyanins and anthocyanidins so blue means basic and red means acidic. I've grown MG once and the pH in mine only changed when the flowers began to die (basic blue when healthy and acidic pink-red when dieing).