The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Golden Pak®

I was exploring a new asian store and amongst the many yummy foods, spices, and drugs that I did recognize I kept seeing these packs of red fruit that simply said Golden Pak®. Being wholely unrecognizable and not knowing if its a food, spice, or drug I decided what the heck :shroomer:

Pak.JPG

It has a nice asian fruit smell remeniscent of dates, the fruit is ~2.5 cm long and ~1.75 cm wide, kinda spongy and mucilaginous with tan insides and a sweet palm sap/date sorta smell, the seed is red/orange, 1.2 x 0.5 cm, and pointed on both ends.

It seems to be some sort of palm fruit, it tasted fairly good, and I'm not hallucinating... it seems I found food :lol:

At the store I assumed a simple google search would swiftly settle it but I was wrong...

Any clue as to species?

Edited by Auxin

I was exploring a new asian store and amongst the many yummy foods, spices, and drugs that I did recognize I kept seeing these packs of red fruit that simply said Golden Pak®. Being wholely unrecognizable and not knowing if its a food, spice, or drug I decided what the heck :shroomer:

Pak.JPG

It has a nice asian fruit smell remeniscent of dates, the fruit is ~2.5 cm long and ~1.75 cm wide, kinda spongy and mucilaginous with tan insides and a sweet palm sap/date sorta smell, the seed is red/orange, 1.2 x 0.5 cm, and pointed on both ends.

It seems to be some sort of palm fruit, it tasted fairly good, and I'm not hallucinating... it seems I found food :lol:

At the store I assumed a simple google search would swiftly settle it but I was wrong...

Any clue as to species?

shit, u didnt eat any did you?

Aha! Jujube, thats it. Thanks darcy :)

shit, u didnt eat any did you?

:lol: Cant have more brains than balls ALL the time, what fun would that be?

They look more like Z jujuba to me

ive seen Z spinosa seeds and they are tiny by comparison with the lunkers in these things

you can buy the trees if you love the fruit

Perrys (SA) - http://perrysfruitnursery.com.au/ (also sell fresh fruit)

http://perrysfruitnursery.com.au/eJujube.htm

(also have other cool stuff like Capers, medlars etc - uncommon)

there are diff cultivars if you can find them

Lang is one

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?...amp;cPath=41_51

Z mauritiana on the other hand does better in tropical aust - too well! - and fruit can be harvested from the wild alongside fresh tamarinds and other fruits

Good to have you and your encyclopedic brain back amongst us Rev :)

Thanks Rev :) Good to see ya around. Didja get the comp all fixed up?