The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
liftyourskinnyfists

Gorilla Gardening

I've been planning on doing some "Gorilla Gardening" for over a year now using seedballs. Here is a pretty generic recipe for making them. http://www.pagancluster.org/resources/seedballs.htm

Heres a more indepth explaination: http://www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/g...seedballs.shtml

I'd like to use a variety of plants but so far I'm planning on using Papaver Somniferum. I can get 100,000+ of the Persian White seeds for $11.50.

The idea is that I can steathily plant vacant lots and fields with psychoactives and only have to worry about the harvest. Plus if whole towns are seeded, it'd be really hard for the man to try to control that. :wave-finger:

Anyone wanna recommend other seeds for the mix? Preferably of seeds that I can get in bulk for cheap, and that will grow in a moderate climate. I was thinking some of the Desmanthus species, maybe phalaris, or Stipa robusta. I don't think any of these are too invasive and the Desmanthus can be found here anyways.

Thanks for the seedball links lift, Ive seen some pretty cool plantings take place with natives using seedballs. Ive always wondered how to make them! Ive watched an whole side of a local hill range re-generated using them, quite inspiring i must say.

Its a great idea - would be great with mushy spores to spread some more edibles.... :P

So how do Gorillas go in the garden these days? :wink: lol

I wonder how we could go with some acacia species...? Do you think it would be a feasible venture? Still very much a legal one, and it wouldnt raise any suspicions - and good for local wildlife.

Gorilla:

gorilla_inset.jpg

Guerilla:

Che%20Guevara%20-%20Foto%20(Korda).jpg

Good seed ball link, tho not universally applicable I assume. Things like Acacia that need heat and/or smoke to germinate might be better dispersed as plain seed... especially when, in the case of acacia or desmanthus for example, the seed are large enough to evenly distribute by hand.

As for suggestions perhaps you should mention your USDA zone

Edited by Auxin

Good seed ball link, tho not universally applicable I assume. Things like Acacia that need heat and/or smoke to germinate might be better dispersed as plain seed... especially when, in the case of acacia or desmanthus for example, the seed are large enough to evenly distribute by hand.

As for suggestions perhaps you should mention your USDA zone

I live in USDA zone 4B. I think seedballs can and have been used anywhere in the world. For examples of their use in agriculture I suggest looking to Masanobu Fukuoka in Japan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka ) and Sepp Holtzer in the mountains of Austria ( http://www.ecofilm.de/inhalte/films/aqua_eng.htm ). If anyone wants to see some amazing permaculture in action they should watch Holtzers aquaculture video. The reason they can be applied anywhere is that the macro/microclimates will determine which seeds in the seedball are better adapted to that particular environment. One doesn't have to try to decide the best location for this or that particular plant, natural selection will do the work, you just have to observe and learn. Of course if you picked to use only seeds from tropical plants in your seedballs for a temperate climate you wouldn't be very successful. Think about your local environment and then pick plants that will grow in it.