The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Dried brahmi activity?

I've got shiteloads of fresh brahmi- so much in fact I need to cut some out to clear space. But does anyone know if it loses its activity dried? If not I'd hate to waste it by throwing it out :)

does it lose its activity when dried? definitely not. traditionally used in this form, frequently..commonly combined with gotu kola and/or calamus.

dried & powdered taken internally. mixed into a paste with water, can add other herbs, applied to skin and scalp.

further, the most effective/potent form is the expressed juice..as the purest essence of the plant, this is said to be heavier though, and is most beneficial used by patients who have good digestion/assimilation. i crush/pound to a paste with mortar and pestle, then squeeeeze through muslin.

i've thought about maybe juicing the leaves, then freezing - brahmi ice blocks.. 20-25 ml daily is the ayurvedic dose..not sure how many grams of leaf that is. sweeten with cold-extracted honey or raw sugar. re juice - same deal with gotu kola.

many thanks to gomaos for providing me with beautiful plants from his garden

[ 08. February 2003, 15:26: Message edited by: coin ]

:huh: Edited by Rev

yeah, it's palatable enough for me to be able to chew on a smattering of leaves..bitter/sweet.. quite nice with other greens

i use gotu kola like that in salads, and chopped up mixed into vada (fried lentil balls) with coriander leaves..using gk more often, cos the brahmi doesn't grow as abundantly here in melbourne..or i'm just not doing something right

it's certainly eaten fresh in india.

hmmm..i have two different looking plants.

one i bought from a nursery labelled "brahmi (bacopa); memory herb" the other from gomaos.

the plant description here on SAB says that leaves and stalks are bald.. true for nursery bought - gomaos' has fuzzy stalks, and the leaves/stalks are much larger and lusher, dark green. also, gomaos' is more fragrant, kinda like thyme or something, but more subtle..haven't tasted this one yet...mine has that generic "green smell"

are these differences due to climate?

gomaos, are you reading this thread? where'd you source your plants?

coin,is your brahmi plant sitting in water,up to half the depth of the pot?

t s t .

no..should i try that?

one is sitting in a tray that i keep topped up..this grows faster/longer

others are free draining..they look the same

when i keep cuttings in water, my cat jessie likes to drink it..she goes to my room looking for that water

ok, thanks! that's very interesting

so it's sold in vietnamese grocers.. for culinary purposes? how's it used?

curious

mm cool

familiar with all those cept limnophila..will look it up

yeah vietnamese mint is polygonum odorata/odoratum..i grow that and it goes nuts also ..