The Corroboree
hardtimes

i am not going to be naughty this time.

I am going to try very hard to ask non-fibrillating questions. Too many people became agitated from my last attempt, and I cannot have their twitching cardiac muscles on my conscious.

(jokejokejokejokejokejkokejokejokejokejokejokejokejokejoke) :innocent_n:

I have some indian poppy seeds (white in colour) as well as some tine shiny black poppy seeds which apparently grow a purple flower. I bought them from a source (not this forum) which advertised them as papsom.

I live in bris, with soil similar to Samford/Mt Nebo - sub-tropical environment. Would the seeds grow in this soil or do they need a different type of soil?

Where is the best place to store them in the weeks prior to sowing?

In Brisbane - what is the best time to sow? Is it correct that they need only be dropped into the top layer of the soil?

Do they require daily h2o? does only one plant grow from 1 seed? would these 2 types cross-pollinate? would that be a problem? how high do they grow - so i can make sure the fence is tall enough. can anyone share any hints on what to grow them with - to ward off grubs and to "hide" the poppy a bit?

How many seeds should I sow if I have only 2sqm to use? do they like morning or afternoon sun? should i cover them with a shade cloth in bris?

Do i need to treat the soil before sowing?

I imagine some of these questions are answered in other posts and links - but being in Brisbane may change the requirements.

I have lived in Toowoomba and Hobart - and they grew lovely gardens - but the soil is different, the climate is much colder in the growing season and the autumn/winter cycle is much longer than Bris.

I had to go the the Dr the other day because of terrible toothache - awful pain . I am unable to take paracetamol so panadiene forte was out of the question. but we did decide that the active ingredient without the paracetamol would be the wisest move. If anyone fiinds themselves with terrible discomfort, PM me and I can give you some help and advice. I found the codeine caused me to come out in an awful rash, with welts and weals all over. ended up needing phenergan. I have many of these tabs left now - what a waste.

.......................................................and i still have the pain.

thankyou for your time

hardtimes

Edited by hardtimes

Considering you've had a near full on anaphylactic reaction from codeine,Phenergan is an ANTI-histamine and it fixed the symptoms,I'd stay away from opiates including poppies as you are obviously allergic to them and it can be fatal.

Out of interest how does latex like gloves or frangers affect you on contact?...even latex from milk thistles or lactusa varieties?

Edited by mescalito

Personally, I'm not a poppy man myself, and still know very little about them for many reasons. But I like to help as much as I can, so let me point a couple things out:

does only one plant grow from 1 seed?

Yes - I think that every plant on the planet does this :( If only we could get a couple out of each lol

Dont be suprised if you dont get 100% germination - so you probably will get less than one plant per seed.

Where is the best place to store them in the weeks prior to sowing?

Like with almost all seeds - I think a cool dark place would be best - a clean spot in a cupboard or similar should do the trick.

how high do they grow

AFAIK, most ornamental poppies grow to about 2 feet tall, but the opium poppies grow upwards of 5 feet. I could be wrong, but I'm sure thats what I read somewhere.

How many seeds should I sow if I have only 2sqm to use?

I'd think use a small handful - if you have too many, you can pull a few out so the remaining ones have plenty of light.

Do i need to treat the soil before sowing?

Not too sure about poppies, but I dont think a bit of good compost would be a bad thing. And probably till the soil a little to aerate it.

Do they require daily h2o?

I'd say so for the seedling stage, then not so much as they mature. But this is going off most otehr plants - poppies could be different.

and i still have the pain.

I hope things get better for you - but be careful. You've had enough friendly comments in this regard. We are all a friendly community here and dont want to see any one get hurt. :)

Best of luck, but for obvious reasons - the info here is pretty general and is standard for most plants. I do not condone the growth of any illegal plants or others. Your actions could be very dangerous - but I'm sure you already know and have heard this time and time again.

Ace

Yates thrive premium potting mix, get yourself one of those wide pots, maybe two meters or more if your serious. fill with yates, sparingly scatter seeds and cover with more soil, just a real little bit, so you can just not see the seeds anymore. within about a week you'll see sprouts. just place the pot in a nice sunny spot water daily or whatever to keep moist, germination rate around 90%. they grow kind of like a lettuce until its flowering time (shorter days if i'm not mistaken), then they will grow stalks etc.. once pods flower stop watering, don't water unless absolute necessary, this increases alkaloid content

this is what i've been told anyway..

:lol:

Edited by Sphinx

Yates thrive premium potting mix, get yourself one of those wide pots, maybe two meters or more if your serious. fill with yates, sparingly scatter seeds and cover with more soil, just a real little bit, so you can just not see the seeds anymore. within about a week you'll see sprouts.

2 metres?. I've never seen a 2 metre wide pot, how many bags of mix does it take to fill it? :lol:

Good info but... now to get the bugger into the yard... :P

thank you for your advice.

is now a good time to sow? or should i wait?

cheers

re codiene: has always been like that with me, specially if I take too many at once. i can take other meds with no problem.

I didn't measure it, just saw it at bunnings ferntree gully :) it was massive, at least 1.5 meters i'd say, about 30cm deep and 40cm high something like that

I couldn't tell you about sowing, if i'm right about them flowering when the shorter days start then you could affort to wait to sow around august i guess.. they are annuals but if given perfect conditions the life cycle can complete in three months. maybe even sow early october. i think there's a decent poppy cultivation guide at erowid, in fact..

http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/opium_poppy_cultivation/

yep.. you need a pretty decent area to get a little patch going, they take up a bit of room (plants should be spaced about 15 cm apart) i say long wide pot because i live inner city = tiny courtyard = many potted goodies

re above link: very very cool. thankyou.

from what i can understand, If i were to start planting it would be best about March?

and if i were to cultivate - that would be in Sept? or is that too long? i just cant get a grip on growth time.

cheers

Hardtimes

re above link: very very cool. thankyou.

from what i can understand, If i were to start planting it would be best about March?

and if i were to cultivate - that would be in Sept? or is that too long? i just cant get a grip on growth time.

cheers

Hardtimes

if u r growing for seed, you will know, cause pods will dry, and form little holes

When you say march sept .. are you saying that because the tek says march september? I think that's from the states so march sept doesn't mean a thing down here :)

someone else can probably answer this better, just grow it and see what happens :)

When you say march sept .. are you saying that because the tek says march september? I think that's from the states so march sept doesn't mean a thing down here :)

someone else can probably answer this better, just grow it and see what happens :)

I just recall that when I lived in Tassie, the harvesters were busy when it was extremely windy - and I am +ve that was in Sept.

I also, I think, recall someone saying March was a good time to sow.

I just recall that when I lived in Tassie, the harvesters were busy when it was extremely windy - and I am +ve that was in Sept.

I also, I think, recall someone saying March was a good time to sow.

think about red poppy day or whatever, thats when they will be in flower

No, they are long photo period flowering plants. Early/late winter to early late spring thru to early summer best times to sow. Depending where you are. Really, sow 2-3 months before a dry spell when the days are going to be long. ie. the daylight is shorter when you sow them compared to when they fllower. Gee, hope that mad sense.

hang on, so sow in sept for dec flower finish :wacko: Yep... :)

Edited by BlackDragon

No, they are long photo period flowering plants. Early/late winter to early late spring thru to early summer best times to sow. Depending where you are. Really, sow 2-3 months before a dry spell when the days are going to be long. ie. the daylight is shorter when you sow them compared to when they fllower. Gee, hope that mad sense.

hang on, so sow in sept for dec flower finish :wacko: Yep... :)

:huh::scratchhead::BANGHEAD2:

umm - thaa-aa--nksss---i think....just let me start from the beginning. AGAIN........!!!!

hey - I found a fellow-crazy. You're one of my people. :worship: you are our leader.

everytime i read this, my eyes start crossing....hey - I know you - you write textbooks......chemistry, physics and research.

:huh::scratchhead::BANGHEAD2:

umm - thaa-aa--nksss---i think....just let me start from the beginning. AGAIN........!!!!

hey - I found a fellow-crazy. You're one of my people. :worship: you are our leader.

everytime i read this, my eyes start crossing....hey - I know you - you write textbooks......chemistry, physics and research.

u will be good for each other... good of you help her balckdragon, instead of your usual torrent of abuse.

:huh::lol: Ok, hypotheticaly, you want them to finish when its hot and dry, and when the photoperiod is long.

So that means you want to sow out three months back from that time.

:bong::huh:

Bd.

:huh::lol: Ok, hypotheticaly, you want them to finish when its hot and dry, and when the photoperiod is long.

So that means you want to sow out three months back from that time.

:bong::huh:

Bd.

So you are saying the little buggers should be grinning at me from the backyard at this very moment?

well - all i got out there is cat poo and pegs.

thank you for the pleasant word - salad, btw.

someone mentioned you usually abuse? oh - i think they are just not reading you correctly. those cut and paste sentences of ours are difficult for the unsophisticated to follow. B)

From the local gardens round here, flowering finished around two to three months ago. Pretty much no point sowing in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the year. After that should be fine. Expect nicer flowers later in the year tho. Also, if you do grow 2 varieties together, there is a very strong chance they will produce hybrid seed.. This maybe desired, maybe not.

Bd

Most questions in life can be answered with http://www.erowid.org and http://www.google.com

Enjoy

PS I like the effort you put into you're posts, with the colored/different size text and the jokes you include. Very entetertaining and soft on the eye :worship::blink:

Thankyou - for the compliments and for the answers to life, the universe and most things. some things I couldnt give a damn about.

and - you know what - my posts are a reflection of me: all effort and no go...........

..............colourful, bumpy and lumpy, high and low, better than a poke in the eye with a burning marshmallow and people love to laugh when I am around..............mum said they are jealous.

no - i jest - i am gorgeous and fn brilliant. :wub:

sorry haven't read every post, just want to hint:

the weather in brisbane is perfect NOW for starting them off in shade.

post-269-1171674182_thumb.jpg

post-269-1171694190_thumb.jpgpost-269-1171694148_thumb.jpg

post-269-1171694148_thumb.jpg

post-269-1171694190_thumb.jpg

post-269-1171694148_thumb.jpg

post-269-1171694190_thumb.jpg