The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SashaBOOMs

spam

Mmmmmm could this be another Russian Spambot!

post-1255-1170966997_thumb.png

Edited by cisumevil

Yup, 2nd one this year ive noticed so far, they always use spirituality/philosophy, no mod.

Folks, you have to tell me these things PLEASE!!!

I am a little more generous on letting sus names in so as not to exclude anyone by accident. The draw back is that I might well let the odd spammer in and won't know until he posts. The good thing is that only manual spammers can get in at the moment, so their volume will always be low.

to earn money so he can feed his family I guess :scratchhead:

..whats the purpose of a manual spammer?

I'm intrigued also. I can understand email spam, where sites might get 'link-through' counts on URLs/Read emails that they can use as a selling point for mass-marketing, but no-one on a forum is enticed to act upon anything in the spam post.

...I know I sound silly, but I thought spam had purpose, umm you know like visit this link....or buy this pill.

I just curious as to what the statement 'I'm a spammer' achieves?

Does he get points/credit for every forum he joins? But why would someone pay for this? Is it just collecting data on what forums/numbers of are out there for statistical data? :scratchhead:

AJ

ROFL :lol:

The actual spam post has been edited. No point giving them the satisfaction of success. yes, there was a link.

...I know I sound silly, but I thought spam had purpose, umm you know like visit this link....or buy this pill.

I just curious as to what the statement 'I'm a spammer' achieves?

Does he get points/credit for every forum he joins? But why would someone pay for this? Is it just collecting data on what forums/numbers of are out there for statistical data? :scratchhead:

AJ

The big time spam servers can end up being shutdown and the owner(s) getting busted.. In some cases, it is a serious crime.

I've read numerous news articles on spammers being fined huge amounts and even jail terms.

Though I doubt spammers on here would be classified as illegal as it is manually posted.

ROFL :lol:

The actual spam post has been edited. No point giving them the satisfaction of success. yes, there was a link.

Orrhh crap, T you bugger that little bit of info would have been handy!!!!

**AJ looks up and sees the 'DUMB SHIT' sign on top of his head** :rolleyes::BANGHEAD2:

Well at least it brought a bit of humour to last night

KlUe I gotta say, you have been one of the most positive posters round ere lately even when the questions are ermm....STOOPID.

thanks mate I always enjoy your posts!! :)

AJ

EDIT ---> just saw OS's delayed post, I'm not alone!!!

Edited by Auntyjack

The big time spam servers can end up being shutdown and the owner(s) getting busted..

That's why they get their FOAFs to do the leg work for them.

Can't be much of an income.

I contributed to an online site a few years back that was fan-board for a Melbourne rock/jazz fusion outfit. There was a point when it appeared that a specific member had a virus that would re-infect the board immediately after he posted at any time, and fill the next 20 entries with spam for all manner of shyte. I actually suspected it was me, as I was running a dirty PC and it seemed to co-incide with my visits, but alas the unintentional 'culprit' was tracked down and advised that he was infected with nasties.

Im surprised that such trasmissions aren't happening here from time to time.

sorry for the confusion. I'll make an edit note next time.

Spammers sit in call centres in India and russia and sign up to forums to get a URL posted. Good forums software will keep spam bots out quite efficiently, but it can't keep clever individuals out. So, by using a funky or ethno related name they sometimes slip in. Don't know if they get paid by the hours or by successful postings. I presume the former as most don't follow up signs up that are approved 48 hours after initial contact.

The security features on this forum are very high and I have turned off most privis that can cause unauthorised access from dirty computers. eg, no flash movies in your avatars, no PM file attachments etc. By keeping it to plain image formats and text this forum is quite safe from such intrusions.