The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Grafted Peyote.. rot?

Hi all,

After my loph was grafted on a Trich i've noticed it getting alot plumper over the past couple of weeks..

Anyway this morning I went to have a look and on its side is a big patch of what looks like to be rot?

Has anyone any suggestions? I've kept it dry for a few days already so the soil isn't that wet.

Please help!

KlUe

post-2817-1170108844_thumb.jpg

ouch, looks like rot to me, I could be mistaken but that's the same rot that i've had eat a few of my larger lophs from the inside out, they'd look totally healthy but would collapse pretty much upon touch, inside was like a browny/organge/red thick goop...in some more minor cases i've tried to cut a lot of it out, but IME by the time I realise it and cut it out, it's already created a little shaft through most of the cactus and it continues to infect.

Anyway, i'm not positive if it's the same case with your cactus, but it doesn't look nice, the button is very cute though :)

Can't really offer any advice as it's ultimately your decision to operate and the likes.

Is the effected area really soft and mushy?

ouch, looks like rot to me, I could be mistaken but that's the same rot that i've had eat a few of my larger lophs from the inside out, they'd look totally healthy but would collapse pretty much upon touch, inside was like a browny/organge/red thick goop...in some more minor cases i've tried to cut a lot of it out, but IME by the time I realise it and cut it out, it's already created a little shaft through most of the cactus and it continues to infect.

Anyway, i'm not positive if it's the same case with your cactus, but it doesn't look nice, the button is very cute though :)

Can't really offer any advice as it's ultimately your decision to operate and the likes.

Is the effected area really soft and mushy?

Cheers for the reply gerbil, i've not actually felt the rotting part as I didn't wanna disturb it any further, but the rest of the loph is still quite firm (not softing) suggesting its still healthy in the other areas.

Should I keep it in some sun or put it in the shade??

I have had the same rot as gerbil described, comes out of no way. I would be using a fungicide i reckn dude.

One year ago i have received about 20 grafted lophs. About 5 of them had the same rot like yours. To me it looks very much like orange rot. Meanwhile it has spreaded and i´ve lost all 20 plants that came from this seller. The Rot has turned most of them in a big ball of brown slime. It has infected two of my other lophs too. If i´d were you, i´d take it out of your collection soon. It is very infectious and just isn´t worth the risk! If you want to have a chance to save this one you should treat it. This is one of the worst infections i´ve came across by now.

I have had the same rot as gerbil described, comes out of no way. I would be using a fungicide i reckn dude.

Cheers mate, i might make up a fungicide mix this arvo and hope for the best.

One year ago i have received about 20 grafted lophs. About 5 of them had the same rot like yours. To me it looks very much like orange rot. Meanwhile it has spreaded and i´ve lost all 20 plants that came from this seller. The Rot has turned most of them in a big ball of brown slime. It has infected two of my other lophs too. If i´d were you, i´d take it out of your collection soon. It is very infectious and just isn´t worth the risk! If you want to have a chance to save this one you should treat it. This is one of the worst infections i´ve came across by now.

Damn man... Thats bad luck!

I've put it by itself in a shady area and as Conan suggested, I might try out a Fungicide.

I only lost two small lophs from this orange rot. One completed collapsed to a slimy goo within 24hrs after having no sighs of damage.

my tip is to regraft!

i had some orange rot on a fast growing loph on peres, the rot entered via the cracks in the skin... i cut the loph of and tried to cut away all of the orange discoloration of the flesh, but could not entirely as i would have had nothing to graft left by doing so. in short the sicion went on top of a pachanoi and took of like a rocket, without surgery i'm sure the peyote would have died. i did not give this graft a lot chances for survival, but even though the scion still showed an area of orange discoloration the graft took off.

regrafting might be good aswell for another reason, because the pedro often grows a lump on the spot you did cut dead straight, regrafting means this time the lump will not appear again. the lump pushes the loph of the stock and as a result the orange moves in.

my tip is to regraft!

i had some orange rot on a fast growing loph on peres, the rot entered via the cracks in the skin... i cut the loph of and tried to cut away all of the orange discoloration of the flesh, but could not entirely as i would have had nothing to graft left by doing so. in short the sicion went on top of a pachanoi and took of like a rocket, without surgery i'm sure the peyote would have died. i did not give this graft a lot chances for survival, but even though the scion still showed an area of orange discoloration the graft took off.

regrafting might be good aswell for another reason, because the pedro often grows a lump on the spot you did cut dead straight, regrafting means this time the lump will not appear again. the lump pushes the loph of the stock and as a result the orange moves in.

Cheers planthelper, but to be honest I dont know if there is enough room to actually cut more off the loph..

I'll see how it looks tomorrow and if its any worse, i'll give it a try.

KlUe :)

hey man,

from the looks of the pic I think you should cutoff the top, then cutoff the trich and regraft to it again, making sure no rot is left on either pieces. To be honest I've had a bit of the same problem with grafting some Lophs to Trichs with rot in a similar place (between the graft and the scion) although no way near as bad, just very small tiny bits of black. I've found mine to sometimes heal over as the loph grows from the trich more and covers up the grafting crack between the two and then everything is fine but from your graft I would definitely regraft as it looks pretty well rotted. (brown colour rather than black even)

As much as I hate the thought of it - its probably best to lop the loph oph :P I made a phunny lol. There appears to be a lot left on the button - perhaps it is better to do some emergency surgery than watch her rot through a slow and agonising death? We dont want that now! Maybe see if she heals any over the next day or two (though the rot would spread faster than the loph would grow... :( ) you could let her be, but we dont want the cancerous rot to spread. Not in a loph.

I only lost two small lophs from this orange rot. One completed collapsed to a slimy goo within 24hrs after having no sighs of damage.

Does anyone know what this orange rot is? if it can destroy a loph so fast... does anyone know a remedy to fixing it?

Ok well unfortunately the rot ate through the WHOLE loph, i had to cut it off :( Was definitely orange rot, nasty stuff!

Does anyone know if this can spread through to the host cacti? I've cut the whole top about 1cm down from rot so it hopefully callouses fine.

Anyways, at least some good news out of this - the T.Pachanoi has given me a new pup formation. Cheers to that B)

KlUe

post-2817-1170922042_thumb.jpg

post-2817-1170922054_thumb.jpg

• Like 1