The Corroboree
KlUe

Big Day Out bans Aussie Flag

What the FUCK!!!??!?!? How can they compare the flag to gang colours!?!?!?!? Look what the world is turning into??????? Now that is just fucking weak - especially with Aussie day coming up. I'll have mine flying high (hehe) no matter what these fuck-sticks think!

Please pardon my language, but I think everyone will be able to understand my outrage...

What the FUCK!!!??!?!? How can they compare the flag to gang colours!?!?!?!? Look what the world is turning into??????? Now that is just fucking weak - especially with Aussie day coming up. I'll have mine flying high (hehe) no matter what these fuck-sticks think!

Please pardon my language, but I think everyone will be able to understand my outrage...

They rekon its due to the Cronulla riots and the recent racial crap lol.....

nope, it's a piece of cloth mate, not one of your testicles :P . I was born here too, but it'd take a damn sight more than that to ruin the BDO for me :lol: .

They rekon its due to the Cronulla riots and the recent racial crap lol.....

that is the exact reason, there is no other. people who had the flag were attacked as were those who didnt, sadly remenisant of gang colours esspecially how some brandishing the flag caused trouble, as well as everyone else. its the whole 'a few spoil it for the many' secenario. but honestly they should ban ALL flags if thats the case, not just the aussie flag.

its all rather rediculous really...

Thats true, but I dont see how proudly (or otherwise) wearing the flag on your clothing can be banned. I understand its because of racism and gang wars and all that shite, but like you said, its a piece of cloth! Why ban it? Its no different to the whole Marijuana ban - it was banned (mostly on misinformation) because of these supposed negative effects, and the whole thing was blown out of scale - just like this, its simply isnt worth banning for the insignificant minority who abuse it. Its not going to cause a riot any more than a nasty comment. If people take offence to it, then they should look at themselves more than the cloth. Sorry for the rant but I hope you understand lol :P

What the fucks going on when you can't fly your own flag in your own country for fear of offending someone???

No way this sort of shit would be tolerated in any other country. Except maybe the UK. They seem to have gotten increasingly PC lately

I wonder what the BDO ruling is on Union Jack Tshirts or the US Confederate flag which also seem to feature at these type of events. Will people be turned away for wearing this sort of gear?

Seems to be happening all over though. I saw a story on one of those current affairs shows where some body corporate was threatening to FINE a bloke for hanging a flag over his balcony...

Sniffer dog phalanxes, and scalpers ruined the Big Day Out for me years ago.

Fuck the BDO!!! Its nothing but the eastershow for 16-35s these days this new rule is just the icing on an increasingly shitty cake :puke:

Mind you the lineup for this year is pretty awesome.

^^ Maybe it is because the type of Brits or Aussies that tend to "proudly" wrap themselves in the flag are the type of thugs that cause trouble and wreck events like the BDO. It's clled nipping a problem in the bud.

I find the Australian flag quite offensive, it is good that the BDO is taking steps to prevent people shoving their jingoistic nationalism down my throat.

Edited by Chronik Fatigue

^^ Maybe it is because the type of Brits or Aussies that tend to "proudly" wrap themselves in the flag are the type of thugs that cause trouble and wreck events like the BDO. It's clled nipping a problem in the bud.

I find the Australian flag quite offensive, it is good that the BDO is taking steps to prevent people shoving their jingoistic nationalism down my throat.

I respect your thoughts Chronic but the fact is that Australia is a free country and no matter who or where people are they should be allowed to display our country's flag.

I can agree that there are a number of Aussies that would do so to cause trouble, but during the last few months, the couple of Muslim leaders examples have been far worse than any individual wanting to wear the flag.

Our flag is all we really have, and it is our symbol for what we are - offensive or not.

At past BDOs people have had the flag shoved in their face and been told to kiss it. As much as I wouldn't like that and I agree with your sentiments CF, banning a flag seems a little, umm, undemocratic. But then again, the very fibres of democracy seem to be disappearing in this country, so perhaps it is appropriate...

I go to BDO knowing it will be full of racist louts, because the music keeps me coming back (It's not like we have many festivals to choose from in Adelaide, hence me skipping over the border from time to time). It's not like other festivals I've been to, which are much more harmonious.

At past BDOs people have had the flag shoved in their face and been told to kiss it.

Now, I can completely understand the reasoning behind the banning when you have dickwads doing stuff like that - if only people would look at the vets who faught for that flag (weather people agree with that or not) they would understand that they are just idiots (the dickheads - not the vets lol). I wish people like that would wake up to them selves and remove their head from their arse... But I guess thats prolly asking a little too much :(

For fuck sake people this is a concert of gnarly proportions not a racist rally! If these people find the need to be racist they should take it elsewhere. Any and all flags should be ok to fly at any time of the year perticularly when people are simply proud of theirs - not for waving it at others and telling them that theirs does not belong. We are a hugely multicultural society and the fact of the matter is, we always will be. A lot of people are in this country because they are escaping a lousy life elsewhere. Its these people who seem to understand that we are lucky enough and they are especially proud of Australia. But when dickheads within our own society start pulling it all apart because of their view that they are better or we are better or what ever the case is - we end up with ridiculous bannishings like this one.

Anyway, I'm rambling and probably not making a word of sense, so I'll go quietly now :P

The bdo never banned the flag, read the offical press release from the bdo organisers

http://www.bigdayout.com/news/pressreleases.php

Clarification on the Flag Issue

The Big Day Out would like to offer the following to clarify its position on “flag banning” at the Sydney show.

Contrary to the reports in the media, it was never our intention to disrespect the symbolism of the Australian or any other flag.

In recent times, there has been an increased incidence of flags brandished inconsiderately and this has led to increased tension. Our only goal in discouraging this activity at the Big Day Out is to ensure that our patrons are not subjected to or inconvenienced by this behaviour.

We have no problem with people being patriotic, and we certainly do not have a problem with people wearing or displaying what they feel is important. Regardless of how it has been interpreted, this is about audience safety and enjoyment.

With all this in mind and the aim to create a happy, peaceful MUSICAL event, organisers would like to request that fans please leave large flags at home. The substantial increase of flags brought to large public events such as the Big Day Out is becoming excessive and has created complex issues including but not limited to sight line problems.

This is simply a request, not a command.

The Big Day Out is not an Australia Day event, but a music festival showcasing music artists from around the world and aspires to unify people through music.

On the whole, Big Day Out audiences have been extremely well behaved and we hope that this has clarified this situation.

Unfortunately the media reports yesterday were not quoted accurately and we must thank the participating media for wasting everybody’s time including the Prime Minister John Howard, Premier Morris Iemma, NSW RSL President Don Rowe, Keysar Trad (a confidant of the Mufti Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly) and Burt Lane of the Australian National Flag Association….

If anyone has such a problem with this petty issue then they should just stay at home and leave the BDO for the majority of people who go to enjoy the music rather than proving something to the rest of society.

Edited by narayan

The bdo never banned the flag, read the offical press release from the bdo organisers

http://www.bigdayout.com/news/pressreleases.php

Clarification on the Flag Issue

The Big Day Out would like to offer the following to clarify its position on “flag banning” at the Sydney show.

Contrary to the reports in the media, it was never our intention to disrespect the symbolism of the Australian or any other flag.

In recent times, there has been an increased incidence of flags brandished inconsiderately and this has led to increased tension. Our only goal in discouraging this activity at the Big Day Out is to ensure that our patrons are not subjected to or inconvenienced by this behaviour.

We have no problem with people being patriotic, and we certainly do not have a problem with people wearing or displaying what they feel is important. Regardless of how it has been interpreted, this is about audience safety and enjoyment.

With all this in mind and the aim to create a happy, peaceful MUSICAL event, organisers would like to request that fans please leave large flags at home. The substantial increase of flags brought to large public events such as the Big Day Out is becoming excessive and has created complex issues including but not limited to sight line problems.

This is simply a request, not a command.

The Big Day Out is not an Australia Day event, but a music festival showcasing music artists from around the world and aspires to unify people through music.

On the whole, Big Day Out audiences have been extremely well behaved and we hope that this has clarified this situation.

Unfortunately the media reports yesterday were not quoted accurately and we must thank the participating media for wasting everybody’s time including the Prime Minister John Howard, Premier Morris Iemma, NSW RSL President Don Rowe, Keysar Trad (a confidant of the Mufti Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly) and Burt Lane of the Australian National Flag Association….

Nice clarification then. I guess the media can warp any bloody thing nowdays.

Then again, the BDO could've released that statement after they found out how much anger it caused..

Haha - thanks for clearing that up Narayan! Looks like the usual bunch are the ones that helped the media along on that one. They are the reason why a lot of people dislike the flag and I understand that stance completly lol

Just keep your flags small enough so the folks behind you can see folks :)

I agree, this topic is incorrect. This article is wrong, as seen in the sentence 'BDO organisers issued a statement this morning saying the flag was not banned, but they said they did not want concert-goers taking it into the event.'

The flag was not banned, but discouraged or by BDO organisers or something. That doesn't mean shit, people are still allowed to bring the flags in without being arrested, lol.

even so, to be "discouraged" i think is disgracefull, what sort of country are we living in?

Unfortunatley this sort of country :(

cronulla.png

I respect your thoughts Chronic but the fact is that Australia is a free country and no matter who or where people are they should be allowed to display our country's flag.

Sure they should. But the BDO is a private event and the organisers have the right to refuse entry on whatever grounds they damn well please (as long as it isn't discriminatory), it's no different to the 'no black' dress rule at rave clubs.

I can agree that there are a number of Aussies that would do so to cause trouble, but during the last few months, the couple of Muslim leaders examples have been far worse than any individual wanting to wear the flag.
Well, thankfully those muslim leaders aren't likely to attend the BDO and if they did they wouldn't be allowed to brandish large lebanese flags either.
Our flag is all we really have, and it is our symbol for what we are - offensive or not.

Wtf? All we have? I have a deep spiritual relationship with this land and some of its people, no flag could ever match that.

Fuck the flag, it is a symbol of colonialism, genocide and militarism. In absolutely no way would such a divisive symbol EVER represent me.

They're going the wrong way on a one way street!! And in front of the cops and all! But jokes aside, I know there are far too many idiots out there, but I guess you can find them in abundance globally....

I agree, this topic is incorrect. This article is wrong, as seen in the sentence 'BDO organisers issued a statement this morning saying the flag was not banned, but they said they did not want concert-goers taking it into the event.'

The flag was not banned, but discouraged or by BDO organisers or something. That doesn't mean shit, people are still allowed to bring the flags in without being arrested, lol.

Actually, according to the original statements by the organisers of the BDO they fully intended to confiscate flags or flag-bandanna's. This latest press release looks very much like a backdown

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ban...9330794734.html

Sure they should. But the BDO is a private event and the organisers have the right to refuse entry on whatever grounds they damn well please (as long as it isn't discriminatory), it's no different to the 'no black' dress rule at rave clubs.

As long as it isn't discriminatory? How in any way is our flag discriminatory? It is different mate, very different to a no "black dress" code.

Well, thankfully those muslim leaders aren't likely to attend the BDO and if they did they wouldn't be allowed to brandish large lebanese flags either.
They said the Australian flag mate.

I'm sure the event organizers have no idea what the Lebanese flag looks like anyway.

Wtf? All we have? I have a deep spiritual relationship with this land and some of its people, no flag could ever match that.

Fuck the flag, it is a symbol of colonialism, genocide and militarism. In absolutely no way would such a divisive symbol EVER represent me.

Your views again respected, but I believe most Australians love our flag.

I agree with you - it is a symbol of those things, but you fail to see the positive things it represents.

Haha - stick it to the man KlUe!

I agree - its the positives that people are wearing it for - understandable that there are a lot of negatives, but they arent why it is flown...

There should be a world flag, screw all this national patriotism stuff all it achieves is dividing people and giving people an excuse and reasons to differentiate themselves from others when we are all the same.

It's suprising to see so many paranoid nationalists on this forum!

Klue - what exactly is it about the flag that you love so much? Vague allusions like "the positives" don't really hold much water and certainly don't give your arguments any credibility. Telling the world we are a proud and great nation will only get you so far (hint: not very).

Ace - If the flag if flown only for its "positives" why is it I only ever see young bogans sporting the Australia singlet? Why was the flag proudly displayed by a vast number of attendants of the Cronulla pogrom?

Anyway, this isn't such a huge blow. Maybe the disappointed nationalists should just grab a stars 'n' bars flag to wear on the day - the sentiments are similar enough.