The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

foolish gnome-overacidic brew?

a gnome was making a brew and put in too much vinegar,he has about 200mls[2 doses]of liquid which he guesstimates has an acidity about the same as pure vinegar.

can he add bicarb soda or somesuch to reduce the acidity?and how much?anything else he should be aware of?

t s t .

you could carefully keep on boiling to evaporate some of the acetic acid. but don't burn the goop towards the end. neutralising it will give it a salty taste.

maybe do a full acid /base extraction.... but only if legal.

Another foolish genome, living in with me, once tried to extract some cacti alkaloids, with muratic acid..... & made it way too acidic. He then rolled a pellet of the tar like residu and swallowed.

The result was an ouchy burning sensation felt for what looked to him like more then 15 to 20 minutes......

he gulped down all the milk, water and food he could to try and stop that burning feeling, which luckily eventually did mellow out, before inducing vomiting.....

He decided to stick to citric acid from now on.

isn't muratic acid the same acid as found in the stomache???????????? :rolleyes:

yes! some slightly alkaline water would have fixed the problem.

:huh: Edited by Rev

Torsten:

yes! some slightly alkaline water would have fixed the problem.

What would be a safe alkaline substance? besides the one reverend ReV mentioned??

I presume that lye is out of the question :D or is it ok in very very slight amounts, that the amatuer psychonaut must'nt even begin to consider. :confused:

[ 24. January 2003, 06:27: Message edited by: brian ]

"isn't muratic acid the same acid as found in the stomache?"

Yup, its normally called hydrochloric acid, but the stuff in your stomach is very dilute- it can go from less than 0.001M upto 0.1M(?) whereas the stuff you get in the hardware store is about 10.145M.

But in any case you should never ingest hydrochloric acid.

Somewhat unrelated info I just felt like typing:

Hydrochloric acid, 0.1M is pH 1.1

Citric acid, 0.03333333M (0.1N) is pH 2.2

Acetic acid, 0.1M is pH 2.9

Lemon juice is pH 2.2-2.4

Lime juice is pH 1.8-2.0

Vomit (Human) is pH 1.0-3.0

And no, dont use lye. Try small quantities of baking soda, but then of course the sodium salts of your acid will be in there. Try simmering it down, adding water, simmering more, then adding just a toutch of baking soda to neutralize any remaining strong acids. Of course thats just for legal brews, illegal brews are evil and will make you a heroin addict and promote terrorism- my government told me so, so it must be true right?

Thanks Aux, & somewhat nice unrelated info! :)

out of curiossity, are some acid salts absorbed better than others? i dont know anything about this but i would have thought that salts from hydrochloric acid would be better (than suphates citrates acetates etc.) because thats what weve got in out stomachs. does anyone know about this?

I think it is related to solubility in acidic solution. ie, in many cases the hydrochloride is the most soluble and that is why it is easiest absorbed. In some cases, such as some large organic molecules like yohimbine (I think), the organic salts (such as acetates) are more soluble. Thing is that they are converted into hydrochlorides in the tummy anyway

"Thing is that they are converted into hydrochlorides in the tummy anyway"

Unless you consume a sulfate. In that case half is turned into the hydrochloride and half is turned into the bisulfate. That is assuming you have enough HCl in your stomach to begin with.