The Corroboree
XipeTotec

Coleus Dosage and experiences

A mate of mine can happily sit on his bum all night with a bowl full of officinalis, even. Might be some whacky enzymatic thing at work?

VM

Salvia Officinalis possess high amount of Thujone.

White sage or salvia officinalis or even wormwood are !!!extreme!!! potentiator of the green thing ...

It seems that Thujone does something very special when coupled with THC.

Yep I know personally that S.div in any form on any occasion never did much more than a mild nangs-like tingletangleyingleyangle effect... though I had fun watching all the "well read" types set about recreating the finer points from trip reports, complete with startled animal eyes and hiding under desks... dont we love posers? I've never got much of of thuj based things, various homebrew absinthes etc, but chewing officinalis or leucantha leaves puts me in a quiet place that isn't bad when I need some Fortress of Solitude time. I don't think its a thujone thing as any borderline effects from thuj are more like a mild case of poisoning in my system... somewhere between a tick bite and a hangover... whereas this effect is very smooth and..well uplifting isnt the word, and it sure isnt sedating, but comfortably off to one side might do it. It doesn't help me achieve anything that can't be done naturally, but it probably halves the time required for "settling" if yez get my drift. mantra in plant form.

Mutant, that was a thing called a "lighthearted remark",there was one in another post you mighta missed too... I'm fairly sure they have those overseas now. 20somethings are not, btw, teenagers, and around here, a LARGE amount of bioassays on common garden plants ARE done by adventurous if cash strapped young people, purely an observation rather than an insult to anyone. 60 year olds don't seem to contribute as much as say 25 year olds... just a wee lil thing we've noticed. I thank you for taking the time to point out the bleedingly obvious to the well and truly aware... here was us thinking that ALL plantnuts are say 19yo tops, with missing teeth, trackmarks, teethmarks all over their mums flower beds... thanks again for setting us straight. There should be another thread somewhere on here, dealing with it in more depth, if you want to dig it up for us.

Take that how you will, though preferable not entirely to heart, and maybe wait til at least the double diggies before getting snippy. This isn't uni, there are no grades given. my style is my own (ok somewhere between Sparkster and illegalbrain anyway), like it or lump it. Anyone around here will tell you I am less concerned with chemistry than with living, and its probably not a bad offset for the more serious and studious of gnomes. I'm all for seriousness , don't get me wrong... in fact I think it can go hand in hand with fun and good humour most days... but Mr.Loincloth of the Panther Tribe didnt spend much time thinking about alpha this vs the metabolite of that... he just knew what worked for him and what didnt, and occasionally shared that info. I don't feel any need to "legitimise" my interests, pasttimes or medicinal applications by sounding like a walking talking abstract, and not all chemfreaks do either... its just a means to an end for em. But it must be remembered that for whatever reason, we take different approaches to our relationship with the plant world.

I'm happy to say "this plant seems better at killing bugs than that one, but the other is good for sore throats" without having to explode with ;

"The essential oils (EOs) extracted from Greek sage, S. fruticosa, and mint, Mentha pulegium, together with their main constituents, 1,8-cineole (eucalyptol), thujone, and camphor and pulegone and menthone, respectively, were tested for insecticidal effects on the olive fruit fly, B. oleae (Diptera: Tephritidae). The EO of Greek sage plant and its main constituents also were screened for toxic and genotoxic activities in D. melanogaster (Diptera: Tephritidae). Genotoxic activity was determined using the somatic mutation and recombination (SMART) test. Results showed that mint EO and its main constituents were the most effective insecticides against B. oleae. Among the tested constituents of Greek sage oil, 1,8-cineole was found to be the most toxic for B. oleae, whereas thujone and 1,8-cineole did not significantly differ in their toxicity against D. melanogaster. For both insects, camphor was found to be the weakest insecticide. Greek sage EO, 1,8-cineole and thujone showed negative genotoxic activity, whereas camphor exhibited mutagenic activity. Mixtures of authentic 1,8-cineole-thujone, 1,8-cineole-camphor, and pulegone-menthone, in proportions resembling those in the corresponding oils, showed no synergistic or antagonistic interactions among the main constituents of Greek sage oil, whereas the toxicity of pulegone was suppressed in the presence of menthone, indicating antagonistic interactions. Pennyroyal oil and the compounds pulegone, menthone, 1,8-cineole, and camphor were significantly more effective as insecticides against B. oleae than D. melanogaster."

Though I can entirely understand how some people end up doing so. Its not for me.

Take personal accounts and impressions for what they are. Not many people report an almost kava like sense of earthy peace from cocoa in cold water either, but that doesn't mean MY responses to it are invalidated by the consensus, or that me saying "its quite nice but not ...yknow... fireworks" is somehow taking the piss out of the material at hand, or anyone that has an interest in it. Quite the opposite really.

I'm not writing for ethno review, I'm here between talking to my 2 yo and making something for lunch, talking about things that might be of use to someone, somewhere, of a similar mindset quoting from personal experience from around 10 years ago. Details are lacking, bummer eh? Take also how you will MY reports on MY experiences and views of MY sources of plant matter, some of which I can provide binomials for, some of which I can't.Some of those I could provide would be wrong, anyway, but ya get that. Try googleimaging for "green Coleus" then sift thru the results for the ones commonly found in warm humid bits of Australia, or something. Anyway, you'll get what I have to give, love it or leave it, and that goes for anyone else around here really. We're a helpful pack of weirdos but we're all very, very individually geared... we share happily, joyously, excessively even with the thankful, we're not so much on the providing for the demanding.

For the record banging yourself over the head with a plank (Piraticus walkingtheelia) gets you in an altered state too, but not one I'd quest after... not to say that there arent thousands of people out there (of at least 30 years of age) that arent regular and avid plankers. Just that planks aren't for me, and I'm happy to say as much. It hasn't been a problem before...

Welcome aboard,

VM

• Like 1

Just so you know Vert, I really appreciate both the style and content of your posts. I haven't read one that wasn't worthwhile (which is more than I can say for myself).

mutant, there are multiple paths in plant understanding, some of the most 'switched on' people I've spoken to about plants have very little knowledge in regards to binomial names and chemistry but grasp plant concepts on a much more intuitive level. It wouldn't hurt to recognise this possibility.

Vert already made a 'preaching to the choir' point so I won't repeat.

Ok maybe I got a bit drifted above, sorry if I sounded like I some purist of some kind or preachy. Of course there are multiple paths, and maybe sometimes some are inclined more to certain types of paths.