The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Papaver somniferum

Hello all :wink:

I know this has been discussed in numerous threads in the forum but I wanted to clear up some misunderstanding.. Apologies if this has been clarified before, but i've been looking around and not seen an answer to the following:

As we know poppies can grow in the wild, and I've heard of 'the little old lady next door' having them in their backyards for ornamental purposes, as they are a great colourful plant to have around. Wether this is legal or not, I doubt.. But I just can't see how that lady next door could be arrested from growing a beautiful plant.... The main question is though:

How can the authorities actually prove you are growing with intent and if it would be possible to prove you are unaware of their illegality OR that if they're growing in a random area of your property could look as unsuspicious as anything else thats growing there. For all they know I've could have absolutely no idea what they are and therefore there is the intent and/or cultivation question.

Thanks in advance for any clarification. Feel free to PM me.

Peace, keep it green!

KlUe

Edited by KlUe

Gidday KlUe and welcome :)

As far as I'm aware, the thing that will be a dead give away will be harvested pods or scarred pods. Otherwise intent would be fairly hard to prove, unless you may have some books/other articles/guides on the subject of poppy extractions etc. Provided you already have a fairly ornamental garden, I doubt very much that anyone would look twice. On the other hand, if you have a bare yard with only a couple thriving poppies, it may look a little suss. Can anyone else elaborate?

Cheers

Ace

Gidday KlUe and welcome :)

As far as I'm aware, the thing that will be a dead give away will be harvested pods or scarred pods. Otherwise intent would be fairly hard to prove, unless you may have some books/other articles/guides on the subject of poppy extractions etc. Provided you already have a fairly ornamental garden, I doubt very much that anyone would look twice. On the other hand, if you have a bare yard with only a couple thriving poppies, it may look a little suss. Can anyone else elaborate?

Cheers

Ace

Thanks for the reply Ace :)

I've got a small amount of ethnobotanical plants in my balcony (all legal mind you), but of course harvested pods or scarred pods would be kept quite discreet - obviously if you use the pin scrape technique its over in a short amount of time (and the pod can be burnt/discarded if seeds are not required, correct?). As for the ornamental part, the garden is completely ornamental everywhere else (as i am looking to plant in the ground).

Peace!

KlUe

Sounds like a pretty safe method - not that I in any way condone these sort of activities. I've got no expirience with this plant, so I'm probably not the best bloke for advice here, but I cant see why it'd be a huge problem. Keep them 'ornamental' and you'll be fine :). May I ask what other species you have in your collection?

The culture or possession of both Papaver Somniferum (and this includes the sub-species Setigerum) and Papaver Bracteatum is strictly prohibited.

The only exceptions are those growers, processing companies or research institutions that are licensed to do so by the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services and the Poppy Advisory and Control Board.

This restriction also applies to the old-fashioned brightly coloured and seemingly multi-petalled ornamental or Peony Poppy, which is only another form of Papaver Somniferum.

Sorry - my bad - do NOT grow these unless you intend to break the law. I should not have opened my big mouth like that :P

Sorry - my bad - do NOT grow these unless you intend to break the law. I should not have opened my big mouth like that :P

Ah well, i guess a reconsideration will be in force.

In regards to the other species growing atm.. I've currently got:

1x T.Pachanoi recently grafted with a San Pedro, and another San pedro button,

2x mexican dream herb plants (forgot species name),

1x Salvia splendens plant,

2x Sceletium tortouseum (sp?) kanna plants,

1x Psychotria viridis

1x Psychotria carthagensis

1x Banisteropsis caapi

5x Syrian rue seedlings

I think thats about it for the moment :)

Peace

Nice collection KlUe! Have you considered taking up an interest in the mycological side of entheo-gardening?

People ARE getting busted for poppy cultivation, and no, you don't need to have scored pods to get into trouble.

The law makes no difference between a poppy plant and a cannabis plant. You have 50 poppy plants and you are going to jail!!!

If you have scored pods you will also get done for manufacturing of an illegal drug.

Saying that poppies only become illegal once scored is like saying cannabis only becomes legal once harvested :rolleyes:

Touche` - Thats a pretty good way of looking at it.

Once again Torsten saves the day and throws us a get out of jail free card :P lol

This unfortunately is what the law says :P

Although you do still see the 'granny next door' type, growing them for ornamental purposes, flowering arranging ect.

I doubt many granny's have been prosecuted for growing poppys.

Yeah I tend to think they'd get off with only a warning compared to a long haired guy wearing a poncho with about 3 months worth of facial hair... (no offence to any one fitting this description - as soon as I find a poncho, I intend to take on this identity :P lol)

Such is life I guess.

I know its said every day, but i just hate the thought of going to jail or being called a criminal because our govt is allowed to decide what is better for us than our own intuition.

Peace all, and thanks for the replies and warm welcome :)

Nice collection KlUe! Have you considered taking up an interest in the mycological side of entheo-gardening?

http://forums.mycotopia.net/showthread.php?t=9849

This is a grow thread I started from an imported mushroom starter kit from the Netherlands, Ace.

I believe you need to be a member to view the pictures, which I highly recommend if you're into the shroom scene.

This was my first experiment and my first shroom experience, which I thoroughly enjoyed and was amazing to watch them grow.

If this is not suitable for these forums due to its legal issue, admins please remove if necessary.

Peace

KlUe