The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Francois le Danque

Wormwood

Question

Hey d00ds, haven't been on for a while, but i just need something cleared up if that's okay.

The Artemisia that grows everywhere, mainly in people's yards, is this pontica? i really hope it is. When i went to the nursery and asked them if they had wormwood they said they just knew this stuff as wormwood (not very good nursery...).

I'm hoping it is because I'm making my own absinthe. And no i don't just plan to "soak wormwood in vodka", i'm doing it properly using a 200 year old recipe. Well almost, i can't be bothered getting wine spirits so i'm just using high proof rum.

ANYWAY the recipe (which im following to the letter, almost) asks for Artemisia Pontica (Roman Wormwood). And I cant seem to find it anywhere, not even on ebay. Could it be noone has it because its so common?? I hope so. Anyway again if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it. I'm about to go for a walk and take a couple of photos of the mystery plant, so i'll be back in about half an hour. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

I think I've got a Pontica out the back, so if you get a photo, I'll try and help you with the ID....

Consarnit i forgot i dropped my camera and it subsequently stopped working...

well i had a good look at it, and it grows on sticks kind of... and each 'stick' has a bunch of droopy silvery green leaves on top. The flowers are right at the top of the sticks and are little grey balls that are green if you break them. The whole plant has that anise/liquoricey smell, and taste kind of the same except worse, bitterer.

benzito if YOU could post a picture it would help...thanks anyway.

Interesting project Frank. A few weeks ago the Sydney Herald's liftout magazine had a story of an american chemist who is doing the same thing on a grand (ish) scale in Europe. He's analysed some original 200+ y/o spirit and is recreating it to the best he can using original methodology, right down to an ancient distillery unit.

Stoopid me recycled the magazine tho :) but I'll try to find further info, you may find it fascinating as it parralells your intentions.

artemisia absinthium is the more common one i think... its the one i have seen most in peoples gardens. bigger and more leafy, silvery foliage, cutting strikes sooo easily! after one season i have literally hundreds of these growing that were propagated from just a couple of plants.

i have ~120 grams of dried herb which was harvested in april if you want it.... i never got around to using it, too busy. pm me.

if you live near a bunnings store, go into the nursery and order it thru "herb herberts" range of plants. ~$4 each. get a few and take cuttings, i got 100% strike rate, just stick them in a pot in the shade and wait a month. easy peasy.

the artemisia abrotanums i have look very similar to the absinthium, only grow taller. my ponticas look very different - very fine almost feathery foliage, and more green than silver. but i've seen alot of variation, and i may have the pontica ID mixed up, lost the tag...

EDIT: i'm pretty sure herb herbert has all three - pontica, abrotanum and absinthium.

Edited by Alice

Interesting project Frank. A few weeks ago the Sydney Herald's liftout magazine had a story of an american chemist who is doing the same thing on a grand (ish) scale in Europe. He's analysed some original 200+ y/o spirit and is recreating it to the best he can using original methodology, right down to an ancient distillery unit.

Stoopid me recycled the magazine tho :) but I'll try to find further info, you may find it fascinating as it parralells your intentions.

Yes i read that article. This whole adventure is our good friend Ted's fault....

I may take you up on that offer Alice, can you supply me with Pontica as well? It was save me dealing with those nasty eBay people.... not for free of course.

Artemisia arborescens can also be used. I dont know where in Victoria you are, but the Geelong Botanic Gardens sells both pontica and arborescens open Wednesday mornings, dont know where to find absinthium though.

Thanks friend, Arborescens is the one that grows everywhere, super helpful. Now i would use it if i was just after flavour and/or thujone, but im looking for authenticity here....thanks anyway.

i suppose my good friend will have to pick me up some pontica and absinthium during his trip to nimbin...along with some other tasty things.