The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
darkhorse

Areas not locations

I'm from south west Syd (shitty I know as most bad news comes from here, but were not all bad) and have had no luck in finding any actives around my area, I know most people don't like to disclose specific locations as some like to rape and bring unecessary attention, and I also know its the wrong season for them around here, but if someone could at least point me in the right direction (or location, depending on your perogative) for the upcoming season I would be greatly appreciative. The problem is that no one I know is really into the whole scene and you guys are my only haven for local knowledge. Perhaps its even safer to pm me to avoid broadcasting.

If this request is inappropriate please just tell me, just don't ignore me as I am easily hurt by cyber shuns :wink: , jokes aside I won't rage you :wave-finger: just inform me as to avoid me asking anything like it again.

Cheers all.

I think you knew the answer you'd get from a post like this... :)

yeah I know but worth a try, been looking for years, and I'm not kidding, thought it was worth a try. Thanks anyway.

Yeah I know that feeling - but think if you did find a nice patch, really cool spot that yielded well - would you take a complete stranger there off the internet?

Just keep looking, asking, researching and dont give up hope, I'm sure you will have some luck in the future.

if there arent any in your area, you will probably need to travel - out into cow paddocs fo cubies or to the blue mountains or other close ranges in may.

I dunno if there would be any ideal conditions for shrooms in the south west. Get to understand where you MIGHT find some, then start looking when the weather is conducive. Cows or pine tree forests are a start. Are there pines in the Lake Gillawarna parkland on the Georges River ? Don't recall any, but its been a lot of years

Thanks guys for the replies.

Fusion, I completely agree with you, not until they are no longer a stranger atleast, researching and asking is where this site comes in, as for giving up hope, why would I, I have the rest of my life.

There are some some cow paddocks my way but how protected remains to be seen.

Lake Gillawarna hahahahaha I used to do my primary school walkathon there imagine that, that would be wild, does she-oak count it looks like pine, has needles, yet its slang name is she-oak , I'm baffled.

Lake Gillawarna hahahahaha I used to do my primary school walkathon there imagine that, that would be wild, does she-oak count it looks like pine, has needles, yet its slang name is she-oak , I'm baffled.

She-oaks (Casuarina sp) are totally different plants and far removed from pines. They are angiosperms (flowering plants, derived) while pines are conifers (seeds only, ancestral).

Going on this and how common Casuarina are I would say that Psilocybe would be incapable of growing on she-oak needle litter. Surely it would have been frequently documented by now if it happened.

I am however just making assumptions and have no evidence either way.

sorry morg I know that just a bit of wishful thinking I suppose

you need to find someone in the know to take you, it is very dangerous to pick by yourself if you have never picked with someone.

Areas around Warwick farm racecourse and the big stadium with grassed area might be worthwhile. With horse poo around it might be interesting to go after some rain. There's some public parks and sports field around there aswell.

There was also a large grassed area near the old Landsdowne bridge on the Hume highway that has a large plantation of radiata pine and some poplars that I did used to hear about when I lived in Sydney. It was near a caravan park and was adjacent to the creek that flows there.

PM me if you hit a goldmine in appreciation of the tip :)

Edited by sobriquet

I dont want to give away a specific location but go down and check out the ferns in that park in redfern. If you dont my celtic arse might get down there and fornicate amung the ferns... nugnugn...

Along these lines....

I think the ideas in Stamets' book are awesome. Spreading spores by putting prints on a hat for example. Does anyone do this at all to try and get more mushrooms naturalised in urban areas?

Which Psilocybe varieties are suitable for spreading in this way?

I've just put a whole bunch of contaminated but partly colonised P. cubensis grain into the mulch in the neighbourhood and covered it with grass clippings and watered over the top. What is the likelihood of it 'taking' and fruiting there??

Come on guys, lets get the mushrooms growing everywhere!

Along these lines....

Spreading spores by putting prints on a hat for example. Does anyone do this at all to try and get more mushrooms naturalised in urban areas?

Then.....

Come on guys, lets get the mushrooms growing everywhere!

Fuckin' YES. Home growers can all do their bit by dumping old casings/cakes etc in public areas, in the wild. Let's face it, id you're growing cubes at home you won't be desperately searching for random outcroppings, for you would have enough to sustain you. But to contribute to the "what if" for others is pretty cool.

That said, this would be one of the few non-natives that I could accept as an introduction, as I don't think fungii will ever overpower native plant species. It's hardly lantana or trad.

I don't think fungii will ever overpower native plant species. It's hardly lantana or trad.

You've got to be kidding!?!? We know next to nothing about plants and even less about fungi, especially the fine details of the exact role each species plays in a given ecosystem, if anything i'd say fungal introduction is far far worse than plant introduction.

Yeah, I think you've overlooked alot of fungal/plant interactions there.

How many plant diseases are fungal?

What about introduced species outcompeting essential natural symbiotic fungal flora?

Phytophthera anyone?