The Corroboree
naja naja

Ebay supposed monstrose

Doesn't look proper mostrose to me, just a bit of mutant growth. Also since it's not a bred variety, I don't think u can correctly apply the term " cultivar" either it would simply be "VAR" "Variety".

ebay TBM????

Looks interesting tho, I wouldnt mind a bit :)

He has some nice bridgesii cuts for sale.

yah, looks a bit like "Kai" maybe and a few of those bridgesii cuts do look good. Wanna go halves in the supposed monstrose?

Monstrous; An abnormal, distorted and disfigured growth of the body, not the apex. A naturally occuring mutant growth formation often resembling a club-like shape in cylindrical or columnar cacti and a wavy body shape in cacti that have pads. Monstrose and monstrosus are botanical terms used to describe this formation.

That makes Kai [and other forms that have any degree of deformation] by definition monstrose.

If you wanna get picky then maybe ask the seller to give you the degree of monstrosity :rolleyes:

As for whether it is a cultivar or variety, this is such a messy and confusing situation that I am not even game to comment on it. Especially considering one is only valid in botany while the other is only valid in horticulture. If you can decide of this is a botanical matter or a horticultural matter then it is also easier to decide what name to use. In fact, this one could be both.

Monstrous; An abnormal, distorted and disfigured growth of the body, not the apex. A naturally occuring mutant growth formation often resembling a club-like shape in cylindrical or columnar cacti and a wavy body shape in cacti that have pads. Monstrose and monstrosus are botanical terms used to describe this formation.

In`er´mis

a. 1. (Bot.) Unarmed; destitute of prickles or thorns, as a leaf.

I've seen this term used for TBM's before, guess I see where they were coming from, but yeah, monstrose is more acurate. They do have prickles, although reduced and they do branch, so monstrose it is.

That makes Kai [and other forms that have any degree of deformation]by definition monstrose.

If you wanna get picky then maybe ask the seller to give you the degree of monstrosity :rolleyes:

I have, awaiting reply. :P

I mean couldn't that just be a hard grown specimen that has terminated then recommenced ribs in a shapeshifting fashion?

I know there's different "degrees" of monstrosity but that one retains a basic columnar structure with ribs.

Maybe you can call it a FREAK?

But for all we know it may just grow normally from some point on especially if given normal growing conditions.

Looks interesting tho, I wouldnt mind a bit :)

He has some nice bridgesii cuts for sale.

yah, looks a bit like "Kai" maybe and a few of those bridgesii cuts do look good. Wanna go halves in the supposed monstrose?

i'll fight ya for it :):uzi::uzi:

already won a 30cm tip cut bridgesii from him which turned up at 42cm so i'm happy with his stuff

when i win i shall promise you both the first pups :lol:

Edited by MOSES

Naja, yeah man, if it doesnt go for too much..

I jst missed out on those bridgesii, I was up at the shops.. anyone know how much they went for?

Reply from seller:

Hi J , the specimen u can see on ebay is from a totally monstrose plant although some branches aren't as deformed as others. It is quite variable but the deformity shows up in all the new growth. The piece on ebay is about as deformed as it gets. I have no picture as i have totally decimated plant back to 2 foot stumps as i relocated it ( it was growing in full shade) Anyway its an interesting cultivar, what u have seen in pic is one years growth. Thanks j ,

Guess i'll havta bid on it now. Is that ur id moses = feral?

Edited by naja naja

Reply from seller:

Hi J , the specimen u can see on ebay is from a totally monstrose plant although some branches aren't as deformed as others. It is quite variable but the deformity shows up in all the new growth. The piece on ebay is about as deformed as it gets. I have no picture as i have totally decimated plant back to 2 foot stumps as i relocated it ( it was growing in full shade) Anyway its an interesting cultivar, what u have seen in pic is one years growth. Thanks j , [email protected]

Guess i'll havta bid on it now. Is that ur id moses = feral?

yep

K, if I win, u get my first new born too. :)

Did the finish time of that auction change?

It seems as if its been extended another couple of days?

And the seller appears to have registered here on the forum which is excellent as he appears to have some great plants for sale. :)

jactuscac2 is a very generous and honorable ebayer!! is this jack of the forum???

whoever it is im gonna kiss em for the parcel i received last week! talk about generous!!

You guys are gonna drive the price of this one higher needlessly by getting into a bidding war.

eBay is like poker. The smart players don't reveal their hands at the beginning of the game which is what you guys are doing. The key is to bid in the last hour or less and bid what you are prepared to pay and no more otherwise you can be left with quite a price to pay for an item not worth it.

And if you miss out then you can be comfortable in the knowledge you haven't gone beyond your means. It's surprising how much of your money can be absorbed in these pursuits.

But the worst thing you can do is get into a bidding war.

jactuscac2 is a very generous and honorable ebayer!! is this jack of the forum???

whoever it is im gonna kiss em for the parcel i received last week! talk about generous!!

I have to second that.

I have a cutting of the monstrous bridgesii pictured on ebay above on the way.

He's not on SAB. He's only new to the internet.

Thats not my second bid!

Is that a SAB members 2nd bid? Who r u?

Fine, take it up, I won't bid anymore. Guess I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

ANd yeah, apart from an opening bid to ensure it doesn't get taken off or extended, Bidding days early is just stupid.

Like the bastards having bidding wars with hours to go on the little pocket bikes I been bidding on lately.

Naja, which item are you referring to?

Haven't bid on the montrose. I have placed a bid on the bridgesii.

heheh, jst keep'em between you and me Naja.. haaha.... I almost went for that big TBM you PM'd me about but didnt have the cash at the time

I have never quite understood that either Naja, like when there will be ages left to bid and someone will start making big bid increases of around $50 or more taking it out of the grasp of the average punter and then they usualy dont end up buy it anyway. LOL... Grrr.

ANd yeah, apart from an opening bid to ensure it doesn't get taken off or extended, Bidding days early is just stupid.

which is exactly what my bid was. :wink:

i actually bid before i had seen this post cos i've suddenly got an obsession for monstrose cacti but i'm not having any luck winning them :BANGHEAD2:

so if it's got "monstrose" any where in the name i WANT it :devil:

and i'll fight youse allllllllllllll!!!!!!!!! bwah hah hah!!

:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

but i do promise to share :wub:

The monstrose, ebay ID chenhall2521

Cool. Hope it finds it's way into your collection.

I was winning that bridgesii!! if its the 3 cuttings

Sorry Tepa :o:)