The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

bioluminescence ?

The colour is the green and the orange/brown colors are from the mushie. The pic was taken with a long exposure or whatever you call it. When you let the shutter stay open for a bit to get all the light available.

Like i said we missed the first nite we found it and it obviously lost a bit of its "glow"

so yeah, the glow from this particular mushie is the luminous green, gets freakin bright too.

Sweet! Nice find hairyplant! Any ideas on what species it was?

Sweet! Nice find hairyplant! Any ideas on what species it was?

no idea, was in a very diverse region, probably one of the most in Australia... i'm sure someone out there would know though

I have also pondered the purpose for glowing fungi. As in the animal kingdom, it is often used for communication. What are the mushrooms doing?

Edited by shroomytoonos

Hmmm, perhaps fungi are much more evolved than plants, and they are communicating to one another in the dark like animals? OK, maybe just a little far fetched... But either way I think that they would attract insects and hence the spores would drop onto them and they would be transported quite efficiently? Perhaps evolution just threw out a freaky mutation along the line and the species that have this trait havent lost the mutation yet? Hmmm... gets one pondering alright :P

Hi Guys,

I think the small luminescant toadstools that people have been referring to could be Mycena chlorophos. According the fungi field guide that Ive got at home, this and the Omphalotus seem to be the most common Australian luminescants.

One theory for the reason behind the luminesance is that the light is an attractant to a particular species of snail that feeds on this fungus, and could aid in spore dispersal.

The book's called "A field guide to the fungi of Australia" by A.M Young if anyone wants to check it out.