The Corroboree
Inca

Testing Products on Animals

It is interesting to note that some of the most vocal opponents of animal testing are actually those gaining the most from it, ie the head of peta who requires a certain 'animal tested' medicine to live. Bunch of hypocrites. :uzi:

I think un-needed harms should be avoided. Dripping acid in a rats eye to try and get a patent for a eye liner formula that might boost sales by 1% isnt really needed, whereas testing a new antiretroviral drug for saftey would be. And not all testing is destructive, many scientists have used a short-lived strain of mice to test foods or medicines that may extend the lifespan, etc.

Only someone who knows nothing of pharmaceutical research believes the animal rights people that say in vitro and computer-simulation testing are so advanced as to make animal testing pointless. In truth what we dont know about biological systems still outweighs what we do know and yet we are faced with literally thousands of diseases and other health hazards that we need to find ways to prevent and treat

i believe there is a certain neccessity for animal testing in the advancement of medical technology.

However, i am staunchly opposed to animal testing of products that arent a neccessity, i.e the cosmetics industry.

I think that the serious research is feasible, but that there is a hell of a lot more going on then just that.

I also feel that if mankind if benefitting from the sufferring of animals, it would be just to put some money back into some kind of animal conservation efforts in return for their sacrifices.

We all know the pharma industry is good for it!

I agree with both Auxin and E, but I have to say that I would not like to be the one doing the testing. Absolute hypocrisy as I would gladly use the medicines if needed, but I just don't think I could physically, personally bring myself to harm an animal. I eat meat but I won't kill for food, not even fish. Really, I probably shouldn't eat meat because of my own peronal feelings. I don't know how to justify it. As for animal testing, I suppose it depends on whether you believe the end justifies the means. It is not necessarily anthropocentric, as medical advances also help other members of the family animalia. Does the end justify the means? Tough one.

*double post* sorry

Edited by ballzac