The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Silkreeler

Alternative Way(s) To Consume Betel Nut?

So I read from the earlier post that making tea is not a good idea as it will transform the arecoline(sp?) into something else.

Could someone please suggest me other ways to use it? My main goal is to make use of its anti-parasitic quality. You see, I just moved to Bali last year, and I've been a (somewhat) fearless eater. I've heard that some of the exotic foods I tried my contain certain nasty worms, so I think it's a good idea to have betel every once in a while to cleanse my system.

The high is a nice bonus, but I can still do without it. I prefer not to chew because the last time I tried it my entire mouth and lips were swollen :BANGHEAD2: . Is it possible to include betel in food recipes - say, grind it and include a little portion of it in your cold drink, salad or sambal? I guess buying extracts from overseas is not a convenient idea, especially since the plant is abundantly available around here ...

The reason for your gums swelling sounds like too much lime? Anyway best way to do what you want would be to grind them up into a powder and swallow some. Easier would be to just chew some and swallow it.

Sorry to jump in on your thread Silkreeler<

I thought it might be better than starting a separate one for the same Q. :)

Ok, Forgive me for not UTFSE :slap: I am having problems using the one in my head too :wacko:

I am also interested in alternative ways of orally consuming betel!

Thanks to a late pair of Lower Wisdom Teeth, I can no longer wear my false pegs!

The Dentist or "Teeth Torturer" ... You Choose?... Advises me not to have them removed.

Something or other about my lower jaw shrinking or similar?

Problem is, Is that they are extremly slow growing and i havent been able to wear them

for nearly 12 months!

So yeah, False pegs to the tune of $6499 That I cant chew Betelnut with might just end up on Ebay :lol:

Can i just make a paste and suck on that?

Cheers!

In Indonesia, there are 3 worms that mostly infect human body through the soil, ie Large Roundworm or Cacing Gelang (Ascaris lumbricoides), Whipworm or Cacing Cambuk (Trichuris trichiura), and the Hookworm (Cacing kait or Cacing Tambang, which in Indonesia is mostly Necator americanus). There is also the Pinworm or Cacing Kremi (Enterobius vermicularis) that infects human from the air, and Tapeworms (such as Taenia solium etc).

Anthelmintic properties of betelnut seeds has been performed in vitro (in a synthetic media) against tapeworms that are usually found in local dogs and pigs.

As a comparison, modern drug "pirantel pamoat" has been used in the experiment. The dose was 15 mg of powdered betelnut seeds in 25 cc of distilled water and 1mg of pirantel pamoat powder in 1.000 cc of distilled water.

After soaking period of one hour, 18 worms in betelnut solution are found dead, whereas none in the pirantel pamoat solution has been killed yet. After 4 hours of soaking period, the number of worms found dead is almost the same in both solutions. All worms in both solutions are dead after 10 hours of soaking period.

In another experimentation, betelnut seed is compared with mebendazol, this time in vivo, i.e. using an experiment dog that is infected with the larva of tapeworms. The result is, though not as effective as mebendazol, betelnut seed solution can reduce the number of worm eggs as much as 74,3 % while mebendazol can reduce the number of egg as high as 83 %.

However, the above experiments have not yet been applied to human.

The Natives of Javanese and Balinese use to combine rhizomes of Curcuma aeruginosa and Zingiber purpureum as well as Piper betle leaves in their traditional medicinal plant recipes against worms. Here's one famous recipes:

Ingredients:

- 25 gr of "Temu Ireng" rhizome (Curcuma aeruginosa)

- 15 gr of "Banggele" rhizome (Zingiber purpureum)

- 5 Betel leaves (Piper betle)

- 5 Ketumbar (Corriander) seeds

Grind all the above ingredients and stir in a half cup of boiling water, let it cool, strain, add 4 grams of powdered betelnut seeds and drink the solution.

All the above ingredients should be easily found in traditional markets in Bali.

Note:

- Another in vitro experiment also shows that Ascaris lumbricoides eggs are significantly reduced by soaking in solution of papaya (Carica papaya) seed extract. Local people also reports that papaya seeds are also effective against tapeworms. Traditional methjod is by using ground seeds as follows:

Dry 1 bowl of papaya seeds, grind well. Mix with 1 bowl of milk or water. Dose (for adult): 1 tsp per day, taken about 2 hours after dinner.

- In vitro anthelmintic activity against Ascaridia galli worm has been documented for the volatile oil of Zingiber purpureum.

- Rhizome of Temu Giring (Curcuma heyneana) and seeds of Ceguk (Rangoon Creeper, Quisqualis indica) are also mentioned as having anthelmintic properties.

- Quisqualis indica seeds are especially effective against pinworm. Dose: 2 grams (10 seeds) of Q. indica seeds, roast and grind. Add a glass of water, drink 2 hours after dinner. repeat 1 week later if needed.

- Other tradtional practices to prevent tapeworm infection is by drinking coconut milk regularly.

Also read: "Intestinal Worms: Coconut is Most Effective (by Mariana Fletcher Baxter)" from this URL:

http://curezone.com/blogs/m.asp?f=18&i=226

Edited by -bijanto-

for deworming you don't need lime as this merely speeds up the absorption. In fact, the less alkaloids are absorbed the more worms get killed. trying chewing fresh nuts by themselves and see i you still get a reaction. probably not. if you do then you could make a powder and wash it down with some liquid.

Be careful of excessive betelnut. As much as 2 mg of arecoline can have strong stimulating effects, so should not take more than 5 mg at once. Taken in powdered form, it should not be more than 4 grams. In long term, arecoline overdose may cause decreased cell's ability to live and reduced DNA & protein synthesis speed. Arecoline may also cause depletion of beneficial glutathione enzyme.

Betelnut seed also contain relatively high amount of phenolic compunds - which are toxic. During the chewing process in the mouth, reactive oxygen species (free radicals) may form and this reactive oxygen species is responsible for the DNA damage of ephitelial cells in the mouth. The damage may develop into oral submucous fibrosis (OSF), a pre-cancerous condition.

Other dangerous compounds in betelnut seeds are N-nitroso derivatives, ie N-nitrosoguvakolina, N-nitrosoguvasina, etc. These nitroso derivatives may cause tumour in pancreas, lungs, nose, and liver.

The use of betelnut seed together with flupentixol and salbutamol may cause tremor effects, akithesia (the urge to move), asthma or alergy. Flupentixol is used to treat mild to moderate depression, and salbutamol is is usually sold as a cure for asthma. They may come under different brand names.

Edited by -bijanto-

Many thanks for the replies, guys :)

It is much clearer now: I need the powder form to mix with the drink. But could anyone please suggest how I could prepare the powder from fresh betel? I don't think they sell it in powder form in the market here.

First, remove the husk by pressing the whole fruit between the base of your palms. You'll see the brown, conical-shaped seed inside, its very hard so you need a food processor or coffee maker. If you dont have it, get one of those stone "cobek" and "ulekan" (mortar and pestle) from the local market. Prices vary between Rp 5.000 to Rp 30.000 (0.7 to 4 $AU), depending on the size. Its a common tool here so you might find it also in the kitchen section of modern supermarkets like Carrefour etc.

post-831-1162658653_thumb.jpg

Edited by -bijanto-