The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sobriquet

Brisbane: LEVEL FOUR WATER RESTRICTIONS!

Well the title says it all.

Surely they should restrict New & 2nd hand car dealers from hosing down cars daily and ban any filling of swimming pools before they make us swallow these tighter controls!

Thing that PISSES me off about this shit is down here in melbourne residents use about 5% of the total water usage for the state and we are the ones told to restrict our water use

:BANGHEAD2::slap::uzi::angry:

Thing that PISSES me off about this shit is down here in melbourne residents use about 5% of the total water usage for the state and we are the ones told to restrict our water use

:BANGHEAD2::slap::uzi::angry:

Yes fair point too. Irrigation used for producing inappropriate crops is a real problem in Australia. Farmers who use irrigation are squandering and profiting immensely from a resource that is scarce.

They should be paying much higher amounts for their water which would make their enterprises non-viable and they shouldn't be viable. They are in effect getting a free ride at our expense.

Industry is the biggest water user all over the world.

Something like 80% commercial vs 20% residential.

If the government mandated that industry only use grey water WHEREVER POSSIBLE, then things would stop degrading so quickly.

Why not make people use less electricity so the stations don't have to use as much water :wink:

Nuclear power plants use so much water they are probably unviable in Aust. sez the premier.

yes, polish off those buckets and prepare to get up early to water the garden, 4am-8am and 4pm-8pm on the odds and even numbered days, what a fucking joke :angry: At least us country residents have mostly got a large (22,000L) water tank with trickle water town supply backup so we can keep watering with the hose :) and the last few minor storms have brought our tank up to half full. the main water users up here they say are Incitect fertilisers (no. 1) and one or two of the power plants, UQ is up there too. Why not make people use less electricity so the stations don't have to use as much water and get the farmers to go organic fertilisers :wink:

wait, the university of queensland uses lots of water? :blink: this confuses me.

there is so much that could be done that isnt. It is sad to think how much it rains here and it all just goes down the drains :wacko:

EXACTLY! Ive been saying that for ages now, why dont they jst build better catchment systems?

basic things like diverting the run-off from all major public/government buildings into the rainwater catchment? that would be simple to impliment and would be very effective.

UQ uses heaps caus for instance, in a lab prac, u have 40 taps on for an hour in just one class room for distillation.... so just that used heaps, let alone all the other science rooms and stuff.

Im lucky that not all SEQ councils went to level 4. god bless umlimited water on straddie.

UQ uses heaps caus for instance, in a lab prac, u have 40 taps on for an hour in just one class room for distillation.... so just that used heaps, let alone all the other science rooms and stuff.

I've got a better example :) pracs in the fluids lab for engineering use flows of about 13 metre/sec.

Multiply 13 by 3600 to get the vol per hour

multipy by 3 which is how long the prac lasts for

muliply by 2 since there are two prac groups running at once

multiply by 4 for the number of different experiments run during the semester

multipy by 4 for the number of days per week the pracs are run

multiply by 8 for the number of weeks during the semester the pracs are run

and you get a shitload of water :)

however, I think that the water used is recycled and reused somehow, I don't really know.

I think UQ has changed alot of the ways it uses water now though... all the watering of gardens and lawns and sporting ovals is done with reclaimed water now... as well as the fountains...the ones that are running use recycled water.

There is still a shitload of toilets at the university though.

Im lucky that not all SEQ councils went to level 4. god bless umlimited water on straddie.

It wont last forever... someday the out take of the islands aquifer is going to dramatically exceed the recharge rate, and at that stage you'll have to worry about the vegetation on the island dying.. rather then just your garden. ( Just wanted to try give you a little guilt trip :) )

haha yeah well we dont water our lawn or garden, we actually want to preserve water to, caus although they might market strddie as unlimited any smart person would know that its not possible.

specially if we have to start sharing out water with brisbane losers.

The shoalhaven is back on water restrictions now because apparently

the water is being piped to Sydney :angry: .I blame the fucking

useless waterboard/sydney water/gov.What the fuck have they been doing

for the last century?As the population of sydney rose they just ignored

the fact that more people equal more water use,pack of fucking morons.

I,m 42 and I,ve known all my life no to waste water,my dad would have had tank water.

So what is the go with a the wankers that just ignore the restrictions,how do

they live with themselves rant rant rant.........

Its raining right now and the water is just running down the drain into the ocean.

Just call me thread killer,lol.

It is sad to think how much it rains here and it all just goes down the drains

Most drains in Sydney are always flowing! Only a trickle, but they always have something flowing through them. In Australia, most of our stormwater drains are actually old creek systems.

When developing cities, they put pipes in the creekbed, and then concrete over the top basically. So, all this water that used to seep down into the groundwater and feed plants, etc now just gets piped straight to it's original outfall.

Then when it rains, this little creek that used to only catch rain from directly above, now has a 3 square kilometre catchment area thanks to all the roads with gutterboxes above it, and it fills up to ridiculous levels, which all just gushes to the ocean.

To give an example of all this wasted water. Goulburn, in level 5 water restrictions, has a drain that runs parallel to the main street. Kat and I stopped in on the way to Canberra recently for a little 'splore of this drain, during a really, really dry spell, and it still had water flowing! (That said, it also had oil/petrol in the water from a service station upstream. But I reported it to the City Council & EPA) :slap:

drainbiz_646.jpg

That's a pretty decent flow if you consider it hadn't rained in weeks!

Just call me thread killer,lol.

No Andrew, I think this thread has just reached it's use-by-date.... I killed it too. :lol:

Nice photo. Must've missed the post.

I have never seen a concrete wall like that in a public place that didn't have graf on it.

Anyone know the rules regarding washing your car under level four restrictions? After a week away I got home to find that while I was away, someone has puked on my car...and after sitting and baking in the sun for at least a week, I can't get the splatter off my windshield with only water and the squeegy thing at the servo.

-bumpy