The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squiresk

BZ

Its seems the gas used for the Russian hostage drama, according to the FT, could be BZ.

Just browsing the web on it, BZ sounds a very interesting compound.

"But Creasy's glowing predictions of "war without death" ran into a few technical glitches. For starters, it was impossible to discharge LSD in aerosol form. So the military-industrial surrealists concocted a more potent mind-bending drug known as BZ, which became part of the U.S. Army's chemical warfare arsenal in the early 1960s. Superhallucinogenic BZ gas was employed as a counterinsurgency weapon on a limited basis during the Vietnam war. The army eventually concluded that shifting wind patterns, BZ's tendency to trigger maniacal behavior, and the difficulties of controlling the amount of BZ absorbed during combat undermined its usefulness as a nonlethal incapacitant. An overdose of BZ could be fatal. "

This is funny "U.S. army documents indicate that BZ was seriously considered for domestic riot control purposes. One harebrained scheme involved the use of tiny remote-controlled model airplanes nicknamed "mechanical bees." Mounted with hypodermic syringes, the bees would be aimed at selected protesters during political demonstrations to render them senseless. "

But on a more serious note, WTF is the world coming to?

kai

I wonder from what it may have been manufactured?

http://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/acda/factshee/wm.../bw/auslist.htm

Australia Group Export Controls on Materials Used in the Manufacture of Chemical and Biological Weapons

10. 3-Hydroxy-1-methylPIPERIDINE

pharmaceuticals

BZ***

[This message has been edited by squiresk (edited 28 October 2002).]

Probably not BZ. BZ is a strong and very long lasting hallucinogen related to the tropane alkaloids (like in datura) it makes you trip out bad, has even worse side effects, and does not normally induce sleep.

The stuff they used in russia was labled "sleep inducing 'gas'" by political and media types.

OH, it doesnt matter but BZ is not a gas, in pure form its a crystaline solid (most chemical warfare weapons labled 'gas' are not gasses but solutions or powders that are finely arosolized by explosives or mechanical means, go figure).

Here and there there are wispers of the US having developed a sleep inducing 'gas' a few years ago and when CNN had coverage of a russian dude giving a statement as to what exactly happened they cut off the feed when he was about to say who they got it from, Hmmm...

Darn pesky CIA giving away our experimental chemical warfare weapons.

"has anyone seen 'jacobs ladder'?"

Yup, it provides yet another reason I wont be a chemist for the government.

the 'telletubbies' tv series was also apparently the result of someone wigging out on bz. the show begun airing on russian tv last month. coincidence?

[This message has been edited by licorice (edited 30 October 2002).]

Guest Monkey Shines

I heard on the news thet the gas they used was an opiate

Guest Thelema

i want some! anything that takes you to tellytubby land cant be all bad!

Yeah, it is now known to be Fentanyl (sp)

I was looking up its MSDS at work and one its 'effects' is, i kid you not, orgasm.

kai.