The Corroboree

Salvia divinorum story

sobriquet

Yesterday I visited a friend who recounted a story about a Seer's (seer is someone who can divine or see into the future) plant that has squarish stems that they inherited as part of an estate. An older hermetic gentleman who had been described as a sage by many who knew him, had passed on many of his plants to him in various states of neglect.

He said that this Seer's plant had been repotted recently and while he had no previous experience with this plant had heard that cuttings take very easily and that many techniques existed. He had decided that he'd go the simple route and try cuttings three to four internodes long in Clonex purple hormone and into some propagating sand. Watered well with distilled water they were apparently covered with a humidity dome and left alone.

What was interesting was that he said that some of the leaves he had removed from the cuttings were put aside. After washing one of these leaves which had some brownish die off at the ends was cleaned up. He said he began incising the leaf with his front teeth into very small slices which he kept under his tongue.

He said that he had heard that these Seer plant leaves were bitter to those brave enough to partake of them, yet this leaf was palatable and had a fresh green taste. He said that after several minutes he felt a distinct astringency on the front and top of his tongue.

Shortly after that he says he felt a definite threshold effect where there was subtle, clear, small vibrational movement in his vision. At the same time his head began to feel very woolly towards the top and a sense of heightened excitement also took place. The feeling returned to baseline in several minutes. He said he panicked somewhat and washed his mouth out very promptly leaving only the astringent effect on his tongue.

The surprises were the palatability of the leaf though it was a single example and the subtle effects which may have been a placebo or a even due to a chemical residue on the plants. He isn't exactly sure.

I didn't ask him if this related to recent times or occurred way in the past. I suspect from his mention of some other things that the story was rooted in the 90's.

Peace.

Edited by sobriquet

You meet many, many people with good experiences, or so it would appear from your posts

As they say, interesting things happen around interesting people

The thing about the story was really the palatableness of the leaf. I've heard of a 'palatable' variety being in existence and I'm not sure about whether this was available in Australia; but this one appears to be a desirable palatable strain.

Edited by sobriquet

Have you seen the "Sacred Weeds" SD documentary floating around (if not, i can burn it for you), where Dan Siebert and another guy ingest SD leaves ? I was interested in the reactions, particularly from the guy who had no prior experience. They both munched them down without fuss. This is contrary to my experiences (when legal), where the bitterness was very bad indeed.

Whilst on bitterness, I believe that if one intends to ingest something unpalletable, to abstain from sweetened products in the days prior.

I wonder if climate may play a role in altering bitterness?

it has do to with your nutrients.

what and how you fert, and your light levels, soil, and watering.

one can observe this with a lot of plants, the same clone, taste's bitter with one grower, and almost sweet with a better grower.

bitter doesn't neccessary have to mean lot's of goodies.

bitterness comes from nutrients stored in the plant, my theory goes, if a plant finds ideal conditions it doesn't have to do that. but if not well cared for does it so to save someting needed for survival.

excess nitrogen and i suppose other nutes aswell, might produce bitter leaves aswell.

in short, it's the same thing as novice gardeners lettuce often tastes bitter and foul.

aswell many plants store nutes in there leaves and other parts over the winter periode.

so an unhappy plant might apply winter mode to itselfe.

Edited by planthelper

This palatable strain is more than likely referring to the Blosser strain which has been tagged as being the "Palatable" strain.

I have grown Hoffman and Wasson strains & Blosser strains and to be honest with you, I can not tell the difference when quidng the leaves.

The palatability tag may also have something to do with the soil it grew in and Blosser himself also suggested that this could have been the reason for the lack of bitterness in his Shamanic salad.

PS: Salvia is legal in the country I am in, for the time being anyway.

Edited by Spliff