The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
transDiMenTional

Buying a van

Inspired when E was selling his urvan, i have decided to finally take the plunge and buy a van/camper! Trouble is ive got no idea about cars and even less idea about vans :P All i know is that i want to spend around 5k and it must be reliable.

Ive heard that toyota hiace are very reliable but lack the room in the cab. Also I saw a nice urvan for sale yesterday, what would be good things to look for in one of these?

lol ive got no idea! pls help! :wacko::scratchhead:

Inspired when E was selling his urvan, i have decided to finally take the plunge and buy a van/camper! Trouble is ive got no idea about cars and even less idea about vans :P All i know is that i want to spend around 5k and it must be reliable.

Ive heard that toyota hiace are very reliable but lack the room in the cab. Also I saw a nice urvan for sale yesterday, what would be good things to look for in one of these?

lol ive got no idea! pls help! :wacko::scratchhead:

get it sussed out by NRMA or a good mechanic.... it might be an unneccessary cost if u dont buy the vehicle, but will save u loads of money if it saves you from buying a lemon.

Also, the reason i went ahead with my van was because it had a relatively new motor, and came with quite comprehensive mechanics/alterations journal... so it gives u a good idea what the vehicle will cost in the long run and how good care the person is taking of it.

for 5k you should get a decent ride...

dont get a mitsubishi... they are prone to a lot of problems, as are most old 4wd...

go for an urvan, or hiace... and make sure u get a pop u roof... they really make the difference!

Urvans and Hiaces are awesome and you can fix them yourself :wink:

I had a 2.4L 5sp LWB Urvan and it was a fabulous and surprisingly powerful vehicle(with extractors and a sporty B) )

ive have noticed that hiaces are really common. Whilst urvans seem few and far between. I heard that this shouldnt matter tho because urvans parts are interchangable with other parts :scratchhead: apparently!

arghhh...

My mate recons i should go to the auctions and get a hiace for around 1k and then convert it myself. Anyone done this before?

the search continues.... :)

Auctions are great if you've got someone with you who knows about cars and you get there early enough to check them out properly. You also need to be able to keep a cool head and not go over the amount of money you feel each car is worth, which is very easy to do when you start bidding and get drawn in.

Also patience is the key. I don't know how many cars I've repaired for people who have just rushed in and bought the first piece of junk they come across. If you don't know anyone with the time and knowledge to help you look, I would stick E's idea of the NRMA. They can save you heaps of grief.

I would stick E's idea of the NRMA. They can save you heaps of grief.

This is true, although there is a company, Stateroads, who provide an equal service (if not better) and I think they're cheaper.

I've had a couple of inspections by them and they provide an excellent service without the cognitive dissonance associated with giving yet more of your money to the fuckin' NRMA. :angry:

My mate bought this mitsibishi hi ace, affectionatley known as sherona off a plumber earlier this year for a couple of grand. Its gone most of the way around the country without any problems. It was white but we gave it a kick ass paint job one sunday afternoon when we where bored.

med_gallery_457_37_54074.jpg

gallery_457_37_29161.jpg

Mitsubishi hi-ace??

A hybrid no doubt :wink:

Mitsubishi hi-ace??

A hybrid no doubt :wink:

:lol: Personally, I'd try the Hi-ace X kombi :) Seriously... my parents had 84, 2 litre Hi-ace. Fully equipped pop top. Dual fuel. Low kms. Made use of this vehicle many times. Solid and tight.