The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gomaos

Do we want and/or need religion?

Do you need religion?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest onemind

lol, nice summary.

As some old guy said, "There is nothing new under the sun, just alot of old crap that we haven't heard yet."

As for the paranoid conspiracy theories, these dont happen if you are on the pure spiritual road and dont care to relate to this earth, this stuff only comes up when the world starts messin with you i have noticed :)

I'm on an endless time loop and i keep bruising over sensitive egos that feel the need to whine at me which makes me whine about it :huh:

Some dmt would be nice

i was wasnt whining at you bro just pissed off at your snide comments you love to slip into your posts. Peace to you onemind :)

For one, my comment was typed after reading botanikas reply and i didn't even read yours. I'm on an endless time loop...

Repetition's not a bad thing, we're all loopy around here mate... on topic, religion and philosophy is be a bit like a cover band in that way - new music's great of course but sometimes you want to hear the classic tunes you know again.

'It's complete but obsolete

All tomorrow's become yesterday

In demand but second hand

It's been heard before you even play

Up to date but came too late

Better get yourself another name

You're so right but overnight

You're the one who has to take the blame

Everyone just gets on top of you

The pain begins to eat your pride

You can't believe in anything you knew

When was the last time that you cried

Don't delay you're in today

But tomorrow is another dream

Sunday's star is Monday's scar

Out of date before you're even seen

At the top so quick to flop

You're so new but rotting in decay

Like butterfly so quick to die

But you're only looking for today

Everyone just gets on top of you

The pain begins to eat your pride

You can't believe in anything you knew

When was the last time that you cried

Looking for today

Glamour trip so soon to slip

Easy come but oh how quick it goes

Ten foot tall but what to fall

Hard to open yet so easy to close

Front page news but so abused

You just want to hide yourself away

Over-paid, but soon you fade

Because you're only looking for today

Looking for today'

and then there is the grand revelation that Reptillians are in control

well, no, according to Douglas Adams it's Mice, which only we see as mice, in reality they are pan-dimensional beings, and what we see as mice, are like the tips of icebergs sticking out of the water, the rest of them is in another dimension.

And we, humans, and the earth, are only a computer program run by those pan-dimensional mice, to find the answer to the question "life, the universe and everything"...

oh no hang on, the answer is "42", and it's not to "life the universe and everything" because that's not a question, the earth and humans are supposed to find out what the ultimate question is(to which the answer is "42") i.e. "how many vogons does it take to change a light bulb" etc

I think all deluded pseudo spiritual people who still haven't quite found the absolute truth of life

this implies that there is an absolute truth in life, which I don't believe

That would then be a dogma, and all dogmas are wrong.

Well hang on that also must be wrong since that would also be a dogma.

All the systems must be challenged..

sounds like a dogma and is probably wrong

No religion is sacred. They're all mind-control mechanisms and we're the machines, until you see things for yourself...

I tend to agree.

ummhh.... there was something else but I forgot now.

Guest onemind
this implies that there is an absolute truth in life, which I don't believe

Now you are just being stupid. However it is it is. Of course there is an absolute reality, we humans just cannot see it. I never can understand people who say that crap..

Hating religion is one thing but to call reality itself dogma is just silly.

Now you are just being stupid

I see that as an insult.

And no, I don't believe there is any absolute truth in anything.

If you believe in absolute truth then you must be stupid.

fuck the masses, if they need religion, let them just be lost

it's not like that. In most countries, kids don't have a choice whether they want religion or not. They just have to go to church, or to the mosque(spelling?forgot), or to the temple.

The fact is, and that's one thing this thread proves, if given free choice, only 20 %, less than a quarter, want religion.

But it's forced upon most.

That's why, when I was travelling in countries where religion is an absolute must and cannot be discussed under any circumstances, there was always an ever-present feeling of oppression.

I bet, in these countries, if people were given a choice, at least 50 per cent would vote against religion, because it does nothing else but suppress them.

Edited by gomaos

Now you are just being stupid. However it is it is. Of course there is an absolute reality, we humans just cannot see it.

hehe... but of course...

person 1 says "absolute truth is the truth"

person 2 says "no, relative truth is the truth"

person 3 says "yes, absolute truth is relative to relative truth and hence both are relatively truth"

person 4 says "what you just said person three makes no absolute sense"

person 5 says "but relative to the method of explaination anything is truth"

person 6 says "fuck truth"

person 7 says "yeah fuck truth"

person 8 says "are you guys talking about truth...i heard that absolute truth is the truth"

Guest onemind
If you believe in absolute truth then you must be stupid

You are frickin insane. Paranoid to the point of complete and utter foolishness.

dont want to get into the personal side of this debate but found this online

The logical proof of the statement, "There exists an absolute truth," is almost trivial in its simplicity. Suppose we assert the negation of the statement, that is, that there is no such thing as absolute truth. By making that assertion, we claim that the sentence "There exists no absolute truth" is absolutely true. The statement is self-contradictory, so its negation, "There exists an absolute truth," is true.

Guest onemind

Mere semantics and philisophical linguistics with no substance :)

I am not saying there is one truth or many truths, i'm just saying, however life is, it is. What you are talking about is life not being any way in particular and is some kind of self generating fractal that makes itself up as it goes along. As soon as life realises its own nature it changes into something completely different. Ludicrous rambling.

You are frickin insane. Paranoid to the point of complete and utter foolishness

more insults.

hence I take the liberty to write here what I think of you:

Associations for the name

"onemind:"

onemind=narrowminded

onemind=one nation (stupid), fanatic, overblown ego

I can think of more but that'll do for now.

Guest onemind

:) I get that alot

But it's not true because that would be dogma :lol:

Edited by onemind

I get that alot

I'm not surprised

So why my hatred? Mostly movies, especially that one movie about the vietnam war: those kids from american suburbia get sent to vietnam, all of them stupid dorks, one of them gets horny, kidnaps a civilian vietnamese girl, rapes and kills her, and at the end is dobbed in to american military authorities by one of his mates...I believe he didn't even get the chair...if it was up to me, I would have fried him slowly on the chair, over a week or so, not fast, that bastard...that story was based on reality...here's where my disbelief in god kicks in: any god who can watch that (he'd have to watch it since god sees everything) and stand idly by, maybe all-powerful but if he doesn't care and does nothing, to hell with fucken god...that movie (early nineties) turned me of all other war-movies, haven't watched any since, save for that from the south-park-idiots I also feel great hatred against just about ALL soldiers everywhere

I guess you're man with heart by not joining the army and that feeling of uncomfortable with so much violence and injustice.

But sorry I think you're being ambigous here. First you seem to believe in God's non-existence because there has been no power trying to stop the injustice from going on, but then you say, "but if He doesn't care and does nothing, to hell with fucken...etc ", which is a conditional statement.

There is a difference between not-believe and not-understand something. When we were born, our spirit was pure like a white paper, I guess that may be some kind of the nearest reflection of God? Once in the past I had a big quarrel with my wife, we both shouted to each other, throwing things onto the floor etc, but what happened next was that my 3-year old daughter came between us, hugging both of us, and as I hugged her back and looked into her eyes, I felt something very strange was cooling me down, melting my ego and arrogance away. At that moment I felt like I was saved from being mentally too far from God or something.

This morning my daughter (shes 4-yeard old now) came to me and said "papa I see a black little ant in that water again, lets help him out !" Again I felt warm inside.

These warm feelings, sense of happiness...doesn't it mean that Someone actually cares about us?

And about those bastards who think they did something nobel by blowing themselves off killing innocent people, or sending troops out of greed and arrogance, making children lose parents, parents lose children.....does He ever care about it? Does He, or will He do something about it? I have a feeling that it would be too soon to make such evaluation right now.

Edited by -bijanto-

Guest onemind

If i hear one more person tell me about gods existence after looking into a childs eyes i will eat my shoe.

If i hear one more person tell me about gods existence after looking into a childs eyes i will eat my shoe.

Hahaha I knew you would say something like that. I hate dogma, and anything that sounds like dogma...but I tend to think there must be something, some purpose of this life, a mistery...I mean why? Why does God create bad people and good people, why doesn't God interfere with injustice?

Onemind I was curious, do you ever believe in something, not God but anything...anything that makes you feel good when you are here on earth. In other words, what is life to you?

Guest onemind
Onemind I was curious, do you ever believe in something, not God but anything...anything that makes you feel good when you are here on earth. In other words, what is life to you?

Morning Bijanto :)

I dont believe in believing. You either know something or you dont, belief doesn't make it real.

As for believing in something because it makes you feel good, i guess that is ok, as long as that belief doesn't need to be defended with weapons and create 2000 years of holy wars. If believing in something helps you cope with life, gives you strength and courage to be a better person in this life, then at the very least it is a good psychological tool even if it isn't based on reality.

1000 years ago the whole of humainty believed the world was flat, they were all wrong. As their perspective grew and they could see the bigger picture, their assumptiuons on what seemed obvious turned out to be false.

I dont see how my total non belief in god is threatening to people who base their whole lives on him. If their faith really is that strong then someone like me shouldn't bother them yet they feel the need to justify themselves in my eyes which proves there is an element of doubt in their own minds.

My way is just accepting that i dont know what life really is, keep an open mind and continue to search for reality and not be seduced into belief no matter how tempting it becomes.

Like i said, if it works for you then more power to you my friend :)

Morning Onemind (you know where I am) :)

I like your words about this belief being a psychological tool to make someone feels good and firm inside our mind. I also believe that the freedom to choose their own idea, choosing what to believe or not believe is the right of every humanbeing and it must not be interfered by any government or any group of religion.

I was born in a country where almost all people since childhood are kinda pushed by their parents, government, teachers or community into believing in their parents' religion, without having a chance to really search and learn. Some of them never really understand about their religion for their whole life, yet they use it as their identity, take it with them everywhere with arrogance, or use it for their own profit. Instead of digesting what they read from the holly book and apply it wisely in accordance with the situation, they blindly ingest it word by word and claim that they know what their God wants.

I think I know what you believe now. I think you believe (or follow) your heart. I think you'll be fine, mate :wink:

Edited by -bijanto-

First you seem to believe in God's non-existence because there has been no power trying to stop the injustice from going on, but then you say, "but if He doesn't care and does nothing, to hell with fucken...etc ", which is a conditional statement.

It's not at all contradictory.

I'm convinced there isn't a god, just like onemind.

Which doesn't mean I'm ruling out the existence of a practically omnipotent being, or if you want, 100s or 1000s of them.

What I mean is, god-like beings may well exist, but they are not god, since they absolutely don't care what happens to us "lower forms of life".

A god who doesn't care for every single being, however small and unimportant, isn't a god, just a jackass.

I dont believe in believing. You either know something or you dont, belief doesn't make it real.

How do you know what you know, if you don't believe in it?

Guest onemind
How do you know what you know, if you don't believe in it?

Its not a matter of belief, things are as they are, you dont need to believe it.

Whether the Creator can be called "God" or not depends on our concept of God. I would prefer to call this unique Being the "Creator". Since we are all created by the Creator's will and not by coincidence, there must be some purpose for our life on earth. Why doesn't It interfere with human's world, I think it's simply because It wants us, humans, to represent It on earth, to do good things on earth just like It would do, and make the world a better place for our children. That's why every person will be responsible for the result of his actions that are carried out through himself all through his lifetime (Hence the concept of Heaven and Hell follows). If we would live under FULL control of the Creator, then we would be better created as animals, or trees, or puppets. Living this life as humans is really an honor given to us by the Creator.

Edited by -bijanto-