The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Rotting Pereskiopsis?

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with rot on your Pereskiopsis?

There are 2 types or 2 stages, first seems to be basically the same as the cactus black-spot with black spots/patches forming and then scaring over or secondly what I’ve recently been going through which is complete cellular destruction where it starts from the bottom up and hollows out the inside of the stalk turning the whole thing into mush! (Strangely the roots seem to be unaffected?)

Its seems to be made worse by the usual elements, top watering and foliar spraying. I first noticed it when I got a black mite outbreak on them and started to spry them regularly as I do to treat spidermite but it only makes the rot worse. Im sticking with the mites for now.

This worries me quite a bit and have jst lost 2 grafts to it, I REALLY dont want a serious outbreak let along having it spread to my cacti.

geez bro you seem o have som troubles with cacti :(

my peres got badly frosted but come spring they all come back

i leave mine sitting in water permanently and they never rot

?????

Yeah, Ive noticed :wacko: I think it may be related to the diseased palms around the place or another air born vector here in Surfers Paradise.,

Could also be something the assholes in the apartments above me keep washing down onto my balcony and splattering onto my plants... :uzi:

what did you use when you sprayed against the mites?

i would not be surprised if it was caused by the spray...

Just water and some dilute seaweed fert.

Although I did spray one large plant wiht pyrethrum once and forgot to wash it off and that burned the plant but didnt cause any rot as far as I could tell.

Thanks for the idea though..

Hey all,

I finally found out what was causing my pereskiopsis to rot, ROOT MEALY! Son of a bitch!

They effected my Delosperma the worst though so Ive jst thrown out a heap of them.

must have come in with a plant I didnt repot on arrival and these little honey colored ants have been spreading them thourgh my collection.. I could jst scream!!!

So, Im cutting off all my Pereskiopsis off at the base and re-rooting them all, tht should only take a month or 2 but itll take me out for the comp.. :BANGHEAD2:

Then soaking everything in my collection with Neem and will probabably move up to Rogor for the stubborn stuff.

Are there any plant that RMB's dont effect, so I won have to repot/reroot them? I noticed they didnt seem to be attacking my Khat,

God I hope they didnt make it to all of my cacti,.

Any suggestions of tips?

2 months for peres cuttings!! woah man youll be alright for the comp only takes me 1 week. Dont pull out of the comp, if need be just graft them a little later.

yeah Pereskiopsis usually only take a couple of weeks. Rev, I also keep a couple of my pereskiopsis's in water and at the moment they're in the humidity tent too outside, where it gets up to 40 - 50 degrees inside. They're LOOVING it :lol:

Andy, don't cut them off! I would just pull them up, wash the roots, and re-pot.

That sounds like less effort to me, and should work fine.

You only use store-bought potting mix don't you, like you're not digging up dirt from the gardens downstairs for your plants are you? I used to use a mixture that contained about 15% garden soil, just to save cash. But I always ended up with grubs, worms, and all kinds of other sh*t consuming all the goodness out of my poor potplants soil.