The Corroboree
Fezza

serious issues with my fruit.

Sorry I don't have any pics to give a better view on the situation. By the way, this is only button mushrooms(thank god). But still I find this could be a good learning experience to learn from, for more "exotic" shrooms.

Here is the situation and how it occurred:

Under my bed (humidity: 60-70%, temp: 18-24 deg C)

---------------------

Substrate fully colonised,

added casing,

started fruiting

used hand spray every day to freshen things up

I then moved it to a plastic box(quite big), while still fruiting

In the plastic box, I thought i might try and increase the humidity. (humidity: 90%, temp: 23-25 deg C)

--------------------------------------------

I thought this was the perfect conditions?????

The mushrooms started going soft, and white/bluish fluff started growing from mushrooms and base of mushrooms.

I only sprayed it every other day since there was very minimal evaporation.

I really don't know what i have done that is wrong..

The only thing i can think of is CO2/O2 ratio.. but i make it a habit to open the box once a day for inspection and to let out some CO2 and let in some O2.

I removed all the mushrooms and am hoping for a second flush of fruit.

I have another question though, how long do mushrooms last if you leave them? I though button mushrooms could grow to enormous sizes

Your problem is Air exchange. You need to do much much more than 'freshen things up a bit'.

3-4 times a day MINIMUIM fanning is required to exchange fresh air and stop things going stagnant and mouldy.

If you are not able to fan at least 3-4 times a day, then drill some holes around your chamber about 2-3 cms in diameter, and cover these with that 'micropore' cloth tape found in the bandage section of any pharmacy, to keep out contams. This will increase your FAE and stop the stagnation.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just looking up the respiration rate of white button mushrooms and they are:

600mg CO2/kg/hour

which is higher then any vegetable.

I have another question then:

Why is it that mushrooms need good air exchange, but the mycelium does not(it can grow in a sealed jar)?

Edited by Fezza

Why is it that mushrooms need good air exchange, but the mycelium does not(it can grow in a sealed jar)?

It's a good question and one that I've been thinking about lately

Mycelium definitely does need some air exchange. Jars stall when they run out of O2. But fruiting cultures need much more.

air exchange is the key - although it sounds like the humidity was higher than you indicated.

In order for molds or bacteria to parasite mushroom fruit bodies, there needs to be pretty favourable conditions for them - IE - very high humidyt and very little air exchange.

Good luck mate.

If you buy field mushrooms in kits, the intructions are usually:

1. wet casing material

2. lay down casing material

3. put in dark cupboard

4 when pins are seen, water regularly.

Dont know why youd want to complicate things. are you using this as a way to refine your techniques for later?

Dont know why youd want to complicate things. are you using this as a way to refine your techniques for later?

Yes, I figure i had better get my skill up to sratch before using the "real" thing. Well, i certainly learnt something from the exercise.

Air exchange is vital. And i now know what fruit going bad looks like, so i can do something about before it gets passed the point of no return. (which it did, in my case)

Peace

As well as air exchange, when you spray water in and about you dont want any actually touching the mushrooms... wet mushrooms = bad and promotes rotting etc.

If your chamber is dripping water down the side on a pretty regular basis, chances are you have more than 90% humidity and droplets will start forming on the mushrooms... just spray the casing layer only.