The Corroboree
sobriquet

Anyone else into knives?

Nice knives peeps. I have a great appreciation for knives after being a slaughterhand for a year.

However I've had people attempt to stab me and not break the skin due to the bluntness of their knife. Its by far not the design of the knife that makes it so dangerous its how patient and skilled the wielder is with a stone that makes the difference.

My knife of choice a Victorinox Fibrox 7inch German style skinning knife.

Mines sharp enough to part the flesh of a full size jap ox and still have enough edge to do the next 10 before she needs a steel. Knife sharpening is something that can only come with practice. A really good stone helps my recommendation is the wet stones. Their brown and wear out fast but the edge they give you is amazing.

Was hoping to post a pic of my knife but my camera is od'ing me won't transfer info onto my comp.

If i can get ahold of Alistar the knife truck man I'll get a product list and post it up. He has very very well priced knives as he is a supplier to the slaughtering and butcher industry. You pay only about a 1/3 of the price you would pay in shops. Gotta catch him tho

As far as the Karambit goes. These are discontinued. I've got a second one new in box.

These are close to impossible to get through customs these days assuming you can actually find one to buy overseas, and you need special permits to do so. Most collectors have snapped these up months ago.

An Australian mob sells them for $178 AUD with apparently limited stock.

I'm prepared to let go of the NIB Spyderco Karambit for $175 if anyone's interested.

Taser like the U.S. police use is about the best trade off.

About ten feet personel space for the darts to travel and obviously a nonlethal situation.

I was jst browing through the knife section of Ebay and found this little beauty,

How would you like to own your very own Chopper Reed autographed Carving Knife!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mark-Brandon-Choppe...1QQcmdZViewItem

b1_1.JPG

If its not really him, I wouldnt want to be the one on Marks bad side... LOL :crux:

Or hows this one from the camping section, 'Camping Knife' indeed....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/27cm-Camping-Foldin...1QQcmdZViewItem

e9_1.JPG

84_1.JPG

Edited by AndyAmine.

post-626-1159587377_thumb.jpgKnives, Knives, Knives!

Well these are both from World War II.

My Grandfater bought them back with him. The First is a Japanese sword, Sorry i dont have much detail, ill try to find out.

And the second was his army issued combat knife. He had it the whole way throught the war apparently.

Tell ya what though, i wouldnt like to be on the recieving end of any of the blades posted here!!! :unsure::o:unsure::o

post-626-1159587377_thumb.jpg

post-626-1159587377_thumb.jpg

I recently got this kinda cheap gerber knife from that anaconda adventure store.

post-1334-1167220359_thumb.jpg

post-1334-1167220388_thumb.jpg

post-1334-1167220409_thumb.jpg

Andy they really are flick knives, But are fairly cheaply made.

My cousin got one thinking it was just a normal lock blade pocket knife, when he first showed me I almost sliced my finger open.

If you don't see the thumb notch on the blade, chances are it may be spring operated.

I always get the weirdest feeling whenever I'm fishing on a crowded jetty, having a 8 inch razor sharp filleting knife strapped to ur hip. U just feel like ur not meant too, but know1 seems to give weird looks, it's just normal for fishermen.

rudeness edited.

I've never had to draw a knife in defense and I'm in my mid 30's. I haven't had a fist fight in over 15 years. Self defense is a right which I believe everyone has the right to exercise if their life is in danger.

As for the utility of knives. Edged tools are what distinguished early men from their ape counterparts. The presence of edged artifacts in archaeological sites is the defining sign of mankind and intelligence.

Edged tools and knives are still as essential to human survival as they ever have been.

So allow me to respond to your remark. Knives are for humans and their survival.

Edited by apothecary

If you get into a situation where your life is in danger and you feel the need to use a knife then you probably deserve to die.

Well you can go and tell that to the next family who has a home invasion occur. According to your queer logic they deserve to die.

Edited by sobriquet

And how often does that happen in australia? You have a higher chance of dying from having a vending machine fall on your head.

*edit*

Edited by Chronik Fatigue

Looks like CF is doin sum fishing of his own, don't take the bait ;)

And how often does that happen in australia? You have a higher chance of dying from having a vending machine fall on your head.

rudeness edited

I don't know about all of Australia but NSW has some published data. In 1995 there were 158 reported cases of home invasion and further...

Statistics indicate that the incidence of home invasion is not high. For example, in 1995 there were 158 cases of home invasion in New South Wales, in 1996 there were 174 cases, and in 1997 there were 164 cases. Those figures indicate a continually increasing level of home invasions. The statistics for offences of break and enter of dwellings show that in 1995 there were 61,336 incidents, in 1996 there were 74,546 incidents, and in 1997 there were 79,388 incidents. Those figures indicate a steady increase in the number of offences of break and enter. However, as I pointed out earlier, the figures in relation to home invasions have remained much the same.

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/PARL...y/LA19981014053

and here: http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocs...le/mr_cjb31.pdf

That's data that's 10 years old and an increase would be likely. Moreover the second source indicates that many home invasions would likely go unreported since the persons violated are often threatened with reprisals if the incident is reported and so numbers are almost certainly higher.

If their were 300-400 invasions per year in NSW alone then I would say that's a serious problem.

Now what I'd like you to do is to show me at least 158 cases per annum of dying from a vending machine falling on your head in NSW, or let's make it easier for you, the whole of Australia.

Edited by apothecary

Looks like CF is doin sum fishing of his own, don't take the bait ;)

Maybe it's the soylent green diet.

Edited by sobriquet

Knives, guns, screwdrivers, tactical missiles, FFS, i would haul around a Howitzer for my self defense if i was able to but iam not. God damn if it wasnt for Dr. Cunningham - Dax and Tavistock gettin into little Martys head i might even still have my 5 shot, gas operated, semi automatic, 12 gauge shot gun. (but owning a gun would make you a redneck right?)

We shouldnt only be allowed to carry knives but we should have the right to carry guns for self defence also. Im sure if there is a nation on this earth that has a law such as the right to bear arms, this nation would have the most polite well behaved populous on the entire planet, with the lowest number of murders, muggings and home invasions. :rolleyes:

We shouldnt only be allowed to carry knives but we should have the right to carry guns for self defence also. Im sure if there is a nation on this earth that has a law such as the right to bear arms, this nation would have the most polite well behaved populous on the entire planet, with the lowest number of murders, muggings and home invasions. :rolleyes:

Lots of Americans have the right to bear arms but they have the highest rate of killings in the world.

..and yes i have been in an "unpleasant" situatuation. Surrounded by a group of filthy smakies that were demading my phone and money, trying to persuade me to do so with a blood filled syringe at my throat. Weapons wouldnt have helped the situation there, only inflamed it AFAIC. All that saved me and my friend was quick thinking and my fat little legs.

Lots of Americans have the right to bear arms but they have the highest rate of killings in the world.

How did you not slip over in the sarcasm that was dripping off my statement Apoth???

Firstup, awesome blade Sobriquet. It always amazes me how many different configurations humans have progressed to from the rough hewn piece of flint, we started off with a couple of hundred thousand years ago especially since, outside the Franklin Mint, many of them do make the seemingly simple job of turning one thing into two things or making a hole, a much safer and easier operation.

But since this has degenerated into a debate about civil liberties and civic responsibilities I thought I'd post some stats on recent "weapons for self defence" legislation. Specifically regarding pistols.

True enough, Yanks are more likely to get shot in the street for minding their own business than anyone else in the world, but it seems that the (in many cases) recently granted ability to respond in kind to a deadly threat, may in fact be giving criminals something to make them think twice...

CARRYING CONCEALED FIREARMS (CCW) STATISTICS

Violent crime rates are highest overall in states with laws severely limiting or prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms for self-defense. (FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 1992) -

The total Violent Crime Rate is 26% higher in the restrictive states (798.3 per 100,000 pop.) than in the less restrictive states (631.6 per 100,000).

The Homicide Rate is 49% higher in the restrictive states (10.1 per 100,000) than in the states with less restrictive CCW laws (6.8 per 100,000).

The Robbery Rate is 58% higher in the restrictive states (289.7 per 100,000) than in the less restrictive states (183.1 per 100,000).

The Aggravated Assault Rate is 15% higher in the restrictive states (455.9 per 100,000) than in the less restrictive states (398.3 per 100,000). Using the most recent FBI data (1992), homicide trends in the 17 states with less restrictive CCW laws compare favorably against national trends, and almost all CCW permittees are law-abiding.

Since adopting CCW (1987), Florida's homicide rate has fallen 21% while the U.S. rate has risen 12%. From start-up 10/1/87 2/28/94 (over 6 yrs.) Florida issued 204,108 permits; only 17 (0.008%) were revoked because permittees later committed crimes (not necessarily violent) in which guns were present (not necessarily used).

Of 14,000 CCW licensees in Oregon, only 4 (0.03%) were convicted of the criminal (not necessarily violent) use or possession of a firearm. Americans use firearms for self-defense more than 2.1 million times annually.

By contrast, there are about 579,000 violent crimes committed annually with firearms of all types. Seventy percent of violent crimes are committed by 7% of criminals, including repeat offenders, many of whom the courts place on probation after conviction, and felons that are paroled before serving their full time behind bars.

Two-thirds of self-protective firearms uses are with handguns.

99.9% of self-defense firearms uses do not result in fatal shootings of criminals, an important factor ignored in certain "studies" that are used to claim that guns are more often misused than used for self-protection. Of incarcerated felons surveyed by the Department of Justice, 34% have been driven away, wounded, or captured by armed citizens; 40% have decided against committing crimes for fear their would-be victims were armed.

BTW Chronik if your confident violence will never find you because of your virtuous lifestyle then what do you care, if someone else carrys a knife?

Live and let live you whinger!

to the senior members of this forum i would like to apologise for my previous posts

as an adult i should know better than to argue with a child

i shall not respond to this thread again.

I hope that your partner has not been too traumatised by the experience Moses!

Smiles to you both :)

:BANGHEAD2:

rudeness edited

Carrying a knife with the plan of using it in self defence means it is to be used as a weapon, whether you are the aggressor or not. Its designated use is to inflict harm.

I never said it was her her fault that she was attacked and I doubt it was but to say she NEEDED a knife is imflammatory in the least. People get caught in fucked situations sometimes but this is never justification for carrying a weapon, or else this becomes an excuse for any old cocksucker to pick up a piece and parade it around in the guise of self defence.

The threat of harm is a fact of life and to arm youself for protection is to live in fear of this hypothetical harm. Those who do need the feeling of power to overide this fear.

god i wish i was as great as you.

No you don't you just wish you lived in less fear than me.

You need to find a place to live where random dickheads don't try to beat up on women, there are plenty of nice places out there. :innocent_n:

Edited by apothecary

this is like the chicken and the egg.

which came 1st, the need for self defence or the want to be an aggressor?

needless to say it seams self evident the question answers itself with how it is prased, but my point is that its futile. both sides have just cause but no REAL reason as to why. yes cuz of self defence but no cuz of violence. one cannot exist without the other. if we eradicate one then the other should cease to exist, while one exists the other will too. eradicating one of them could make the other dominant. sadly majority of humans are wired in a way that makes both cases an apparent yet sad nessessity.

now for my other point. a quote by CF "If you get into a situation where your life is in danger and you feel the need to use a knife then you probably deserve to die." you just remember that one, just have to make it so clear that you WILL remember YOU said that. if you still stand by your statement and cant see what im gettin at then im sorry. but if you want to tell me a child who is abducted, mollested and murdered deserves to die... then you deserve much more sympathy and compassion that i 1st thought.

personally im on the fence, i see the need for self defence but see that carrying a knife or any weapon will not nessecarily be helpful to your situation. and CF i see your point exactly , but the sad truth is (weather you accept it or not) there are people in this world who will impose their violent will against you reguardless of weather or not you truely 'deserve' it. saying if your life is in danger you PROBABLY deserve to die is rather a board and grosely incorrect statement. and honestly i wish i could have lived the cotton wool wrapped life you obviously have led, unless the statement comes from self hatred out of situations you found yourself powerless in, much like said secenario's, then you would be speaking from experience which would give some justification for said statement.

not sure what im trying to say here, just dont make such hatefull and un-empathetic statements. being in the wrong place at the wrong time does not warrant deserving death.

SP - you make a very valid point, but the way you go about it is fucked and uncompassionate. you could have said that exact same thing without being hostile and i nearly didnt read what you said in full cause of it, which would have been a shame cuz there is validity in what you said. its not what you said but how you said it.

Moses - dont not respond, disussion is the best way to understanding another point of view, problem is tho when people are fixed by the POV and one feels like they are repeating themselves and beating oneshead against the wall. just dont let it bother you as much tho hard it may be to not become or take things on a personal level. and in my opinion your reaction was entierly justifyed, it was only a mear mis-communication which can easilly be resolved through further disscussion.

with this discussion tho both side have very very valid points, both side raise very valid points once one wades through the crap and gets down to whats being said. there is no right or wrong here.

Edited by Amulte