The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

maryj & hops

Guest electro

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 October 2002).]

If you graft a hops plant to pot root stock you will have a hops plant that is grafted to a pot root stock. THe plant will produce hops just the same but they won't be enriched with THC.

I've heard it is very hard to graft hops to pot anyway.

Guest reville

In a past thread T claims to haveeen pot on hops and the resultant plant was very large

re hops on pot i refer u to the thread on smoking immature buds especially the section on THC being produced outside of the plant by special glands.

grafting a scion to a one year old rootstock (or older) provides the graft with the water and nutrients of a one year old plant, thus the growth rate is phenominal. Grafting was difficult and my single success may have been serendipitous. The smoke was pretty much identical to the plant the scion was derived from.

This topic once again raises a small question about the location of the THC. We know that the vast majority (all??) of the THC is produced in the trichomes. So why does a plant without female flowers have 'some' effect. Even baby leaves have a tiny effect, long before any flowers (or even primordia) develop. Does this mean a small amoutn of THC or other cannabinol is produced inside the plant and travels in the sap?

In the hops experiment, does this mean that this tiny amount may actually move into the hops root. What about hops grafted onto cannabis roostock..... would this produce tiny amounts of cannabinols in the root that then travel into the hops??

I know we are talking very tiny amounts if any at all, but this question has been niggling me for a while.

Guest mandragora

l

Edited by mandragora

Originally posted by Torsten:

This topic once again raises a small question about the location of the THC. We know that the vast majority (all??) of the THC is produced in the trichomes. So why does a plant without female flowers have 'some' effect. Even baby leaves have a tiny effect, long before any flowers (or even primordia) develop. Does this mean a small amoutn of THC or other cannabinol is produced inside the plant and travels in the sap?

The dried stalk surfaces certainly smell like they are active, but the internals do not. I don't think this can easily be explained by "leakage" or "weathering" from the flowers. My gnome always thought the exterior of the plant must have been covered in resin-producing glands, albeit with higher concentrations in some areas than others.

I assumed the trichomes were found in all of the leaves, just that there is a higher concentration around the flowers.

Certainly the resins trap some insects. A study was done to identify the origin of cvarious cannabis samples in Thailand. It was found that by superimposing the maps of occiurence of the insects trapped in the resins of the plant it was possible to identify which valley produced the cannabis.

There is also the possibility that the resins act as a sunscreen. CBD absorbs ultraviolet light and changes to THC.

Yeah theo, read few reports about that, they calimed that cannabis plants growing up the mountains usually have higher levels of resin content/THC, (I have no proof to support this, just read it in some Canadian website) because of the UV rays is higher up the mountains so they produce more resin which acts like sunscreen, if you think about it, all Afghani, Nepalese, Paki these countries is usually located above the sea level??

Just a thought....WA

Well, it's slightly off the hops/mj topic, but let's talk about some grafting with much greater potential. I for one would be very interested to hear about what might be grafted successfully onto a poppy root stock. Even better if the plant could be transformed from an annual to a perennial.