The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
VINS

goog book ?

does someone knows a good and more complete as possible encyclopedia of shaman plant ?

i ever read "plant of the gods"Hoffman-, but there is detail for just a small nombers of plants.

can you read german??

no sorry

just french and simple english.

i havn't got lot of answer as i would like.

so i baught a book in english by Peter staffords called "psichedelics encyclopedia".

it is too hard for me so if someone is interested in, let me know (we could trade).

and if someone know an other book, he is welcome.

thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by VIN'S (edited 05 October 2002).]

Guest reville

Apparently Gordon Wasson only published his most important work in french.

Champignons Hallucinogènes du Mexique: Études Ethnologiques, Taxonomiques, Biologiques, Physiologiques et Chimiques

www.shaman-australis.com/~benjamin-thomas/ Psilocybe_kumaenorum.htm

references these works by Heim et al.

HEIM, R. 1957a. "Sur les Psilocybes hallucinatoires des Aztèques et sur le microendémisme des Agarics utilisés par les Indiens du Mexique à des fins divinatoires" Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l'Académie des Sciences 245: 1761-1765.

__________ 1957b. "Sur les Psilocybes hallucinatoires des Aztèques et sur le microendémisme des Agarics utilisés par les Indiens du Mexique à des fins divinatoires" Revue de Mycologie 22(3): 300-305.

__________ 1958. "Diagnose latine du Psilocybe Wassonii Heim, espèce hallucinogène des Aztèques" Revue de Mycologie 23(1): 119-120.

__________ 1963. "Diagnoses latines des espèces de champignons ou, nonda associés à la folie du komugl taï et du ndaadl" Revue de Mycologie 28(3-4): 277-283.

__________ 1965. "Les champignons associés à la folie des Kuma. Étude descriptive et iconographie" Cahiers du Pacifique 7: 7-64.

__________ 1967. "Les Psilocybes Cérulescents de Nouvelle-Guinée" In: R. Heim, R. Cailleux, R. G. Wasson and P. Thevenard. Nouvelles Investigations sur les Champignons Hallucinogènes. Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France. pp. 186-188.

__________ 1978. Les Champignons Toxiques et Hallucinogènes. Société Nouvelle des Éditions Boubée, Paris, France.

HEIM, R. and A. HOFMANN 1958. "Isolement de la psilocybine à partir du Stropharia cubensis Earle et d'autres espèces de champignons hallucinogenes mexicains appartenant au genre Psilocybe" Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l'Académie des Sciences 247: 557-561.

__________ 1958 [1959]. "La psilocybine et la psilocine chez les Psilocybes et Strophaires hallucinogènes" In: R. Heim and R. G. Wasson. Les Champignons Hallucinogènes du Mexique: Études Ethnologiques, Taxonomiques, Biologiques, Physiologiques et Chimiques. Archives du Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Series 7, Vol. 6, Paris, France. pp. 258-262.

HEIM, R. and R. G. WASSON (Eds.) 1958 [1959]. Les Champignons Hallucinogènes du Mexique: Études Ethnologiques, Taxonomiques, Biologiques, Physiologiques et Chimiques. Archives du Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Series 7, Vol. 6, Paris, France.

__________. 1964. "Note préliminaire sur la folie fongique des Kuma" Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Seances de l'Academie des Sciences 258: 1593-1598.

I hope you like mushrooms smile.gif

thank you Rev ,

what a pleasure to read this french words here...

but i am not a lot interesting in fungi.most in somniferum plants...

but thanks again.(best than nothings)

what about the suisse Mr Riffat.he also speak french, isn't it? (what relation between Claude and Robert.R ?)

and what about english books, are they all difficult to understand?

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but I finally got my copy of "The Healing Forest" by Schultes and Raffauf a few weeks ago (aah, the beauty of working in a bookshop!!!). This is one awesome book! I keep opening it to a different page and end up putting it down four hours later.

AND....

I'm going to Sud Amerika in Decembre!!!!!

Vin these are English but collected over time as being some of the best books relating to everything from ethnobotany to the reason for our existence. Or like "Fear and Loathing In Los Vegas "just simply classic all time must have books.

Plants of the Gods"..Schultz & Hoffman

" Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas "-- Hunter S. Thompson

"Siddhartha "-- Herman Hesse.

"The Holographic Universe"…Talbot

On the Road - Kerouac.

The power Of Now ..Ekhart Tolle

Munro almost anything.."Far Journeys".

Bukowski ..anything.

"Endurance" ..by Lansing. The greatest non fiction book of mans persistance ever written.

“Unveiling Reality “John de Ruiter.

"The Invisible Landscape" "True hallucinations" "Archaic Revival" Almost anything by McKenna.

“Holy Fire” Bruce Stirling...on the futures of ethogens.

"Spiritual Emergency” Stan Grof.

“The Natural Depth In Man”.Wilson van Deusen …on communicating with alien forms in humans.

“Deva and Men” on spirit names and progressions.

"Independent people " Halldor Laxness.

"On The Taboo Of Knowing Who You Are” by Alan Watts.

Alex Grey ...any of his art books.

“Labyrinths:Selected Stories and Other Writings” Borges

The Glass Bead Game -- Herman Hesse

Aldus Huxley..Brave New World,Doors of Perception.

Conspiritor by Floyd Davis got a great review from Trout

Conspiritor (that is not a spelling mistake either)

by Floyd Davis

ISBN 0-9579747-1-X

Psychedelia Australis 2001.

Artificial Paradises - Baudelaire .

Flashback - Timoty Leary

Memórias do cárcere Memorys of prision Graciliano Ramos

Altlas Shrugged-AynRand

FountainHead-AynRand

The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)

Fiona MacLeod "The Divine Adventure"

Nietzche "Human All To Human".

Heinrich’s “Strange Fruit”.

The phenomenon of man by T.De Chardin.

The Knee of Listening by Franklin Jones.

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Alan Kardec's books.

"The Healing Forest" by Schultes and Raffauf .

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell , Songs of Innocence/Existence …William Blake.

"Sharman’s Through Time"..Narby.

Any of Dick's science fiction books.

Robert Wilson…Schroedingers Cat.

Don Emmanuel’s “Nether Parts”

"No Boundaries" .

Alan Watts book "The Book: On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are"

Nar's motion on "Shadows in the Sun", it's a definite keeper.

The Illunimatus Trilogy and/or the Schroedingers Cat Trilogy. (tripped out)

by Robert Anton Wilson.

Nietzshe..."Thus spake Zarathustra"

George Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-four"

Where does it end!

thanks,

now for sure i know lot of books names.

but in this list there are really different kind of book.

for exemple "baubelaire" and "hoffman" are really not the same.

i am looking for a kind of encyclopedia with the same infos for each plants.

(picture,traditionnal use and place,modern use,chemistry,extraction,dangerosity...)

i want a "bible" which i could ask every time a need. i really enjoyed "plant of the gods" so could you help me to choose in this list?

Vin personally I don't know if you will get any better than Plants of The Gods.

I havn't come across a more up to date and comprehensive book than the latest edition(recently out).

Have you had a look at the online Golden Guide by Schultz?

HALLUCINOGENIC PLANTS

by RICHARD EVANS SHULTES http://www.zauberpilz.com/golden/g01-10.htm#contents

On the net though are a few resources you may not have found. This is good(see the Khat example) Pictures can be tracked down but it's time consuming.I like the name!"Several interesting species of plants gathered together on a web page and parsing with a gif."

http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Plants/

KHATCatha edulis Forsk.;

Burning Bush family (Celastreae) An evergreen shrub or tree to 10 feet tall, with oval, 4 inch long leaves. The flowers are small, white, and five-petaled. The fruit is an oblong three-angled capsule containing one to three seeds. Native from Abyssinia to South Africa.Cultivation and Propagation: Khat may be grown outdoors in Florida and California, and as a greenhouse plant in the North. It needs fast drainage and does poorly in a rich moist soil. Does best in hot areas in poor dry soil. Propagated by cuttings taken in spring or, more effectively, by layering. Khat rarely sets seed in this country. It should be pinched or pruned to keep it compact, and to produce more buds. Harvesting: The buds, branch tips and young leaves from pruning may be used fresh or dried. Do not harvest too often or cut the branch tips too far back, as this may destroy active buds and destroy new growth. Additional information about Catha edulis may be found here.

Legendary Ethnobotanical Resources Rare Seed & Plant page (search under google)....has a very detailed list of hundreds of plants and seeds they supply although no pictures and although many plants the detail could be better. Good as an introduction.An example:Cananga odorata: "Ylang Ylang" This is the source of one of the most important purfume bases. This tree will grow a contorted and lovely twisted trunk.seeds: Pack/$5 100/$45 500/$87 Plant/$12.50.

I didn't find Ott's "Pharmacotheon "particulary helpful and I havn't found one useful single book on Ayahuasca plants.

I thought "Google" had a translation facility although I guess the plant names would make it tricky.

This looks detailed and maybe what you are after though I havn't seen it.

CRC Ethnobotany Desk Reference

by Tim Johnson, Timothy Johnson.

The new standard in ethnobotanical research The CRC Ethnobotany Desk Reference contains almost 30,000 concise ethnobotanical monographs of plant species characteristics and an inventory of claimed attributes and historical uses by cultures throughout the worldthe most ambitious attempt to date to inventory plants on a global scale and match botanical information with historical and current uses.To obtain the same information about any species listed, you would have to thumb through hundreds of herbal guides, ethnobotanical manuals, and regional field guides. Sources for this index include the three largest U.S. Government ethnobotany databases, the U.S. National Park Service NPFlora plant inventory lists, and 18 leading works on the subject.The arrangement of this material will be of interest to those all over the world who study plants and their usesbotanists, ethnobotanists, entheobotanists, pharmacists, forensic investigators, and the traditional healers of thousands of diverse cultures. (reviewed by LER).

Is available at Amazon.

Mind Books at http://www.promind.com/ is supposed to be good.

Originally posted by VIN'S:

what about the suisse Mr Riffat.he also speak french, isn't it? (what relation between Claude and Robert.R

Robert & Claude were brothers. Robert died a few years ago and Claude died a few weeks ago.

i really want to thank you, all !! for spending time for me.

thank you doklit !

planthelper: i now understand why it is sometime difficult to talk.really sorry if sometime you can't understand me. i hope my english best than your french.(ah,ah)but it is a good start,continue.

the good phrase to mean you don't speak french is: "je ne parle pas Francais".to mean this guy does:"mais peut etre cet homme le parle".also thanks for the link.

i will find out at amazon or other for this books.

Torsten,

sorry.

R.I.P

Did you know them personnaly ?

what was their contribution to ethnobotany?

[This message has been edited by VIN'S (edited 07 October 2002).]

keep an eye out for wiras book if it gets published in any form. may have to watch the ethno aust forums for details on the release date.

hy WD,

what is wiras book ? is the name of the author?

planthelper, do you know the name of the guy ? i went to their website and all is in english. i sent them a mail but maybe best with his name.

not sure if the book has a name, the name of the author is a mystery to me as well because he kept his identity secretive like. wira used to post on these forums but went away, he can still be found on ethn aust, maybe ask him there?

Guest reville

Wira is Snu (wont even attempt last name smile.gif)

Check out the EB2001 presenter list to get his full name.

ho, what is this list ? how to read it?

i'm pretty sure that voogelbreinder(sp?) was not the real name either. the impression i got (substance affected at four in the morning while flicking through his volume) was that 'wira' and the snu thing were pseuodos.

doklikit wrote:- "I havn't found one useful single book on Ayahuasca plants."

It depends on how you define useful, but this one's a good start.

"Vine of the soul : medicine men, their plants and rituals in the Colombian Amazonia" / Richard Evans Schultes, Robert F. Raffauf.

Oracle, Arizona : Synergetic Press, 1992.

ISBN 0907791247

There's not a lot else that I've come across, though, except for articles, especially about Santo Daime and the like.