The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

ID please, possible Panaeolus foenisecii??

Warning! Image size is around 1-1.5mb, Super high res! Broadband only!

th_12045_DSC03512_122_505lo.JPGth_12065_DSC03513_122_352lo.JPGth_12074_DSC03515_122_383lo.JPG

Found in long tuft of grass, in a inhabited cow paddock.

Edited by naja naja

Yes very possible. I found a similar shroom from similar habitat and posted it a year or so back but I can't find the post now. That was my tentative ID at the time also.

When my computer gets back from repairs I'll post it again.

it comes down to the spore print colour.

Print is black.

So does that make it Pan foe or Pan ant?

Pan. ant. has a black print and Pan. foe. has a dark brown almost black print.

All the Pan. ant. i have seen around here only fruits from dung.

It could be Pan. campanulatus.

Print is black.

So does that make it Pan foe or Pan ant?

Based on a black print, I'd be willing to eat the shroom I'm so sure it's Ant... unfortunately though, they don't taste great and do absolutely nothing interesting to your mind. ;)

Yeah the easiest way to identify foenisecii is the brownish to brownish/black spore print which is unusual for pans.

I was just stoked that I even guessed the right Genus. I was pretty sure it was a Pan, and it just gives me hope that I have found suitable naturlization sites for other species.

Pan foenisecii have a very smoothly shaped hemispherical cap so the mushroom depicted is not P. foenisecii. It does appear to be a paneolus species however, the cap shape reminds me of that of Paneolus subbalteatus.

Looking closely at the cap texture I have some doubts of it actually being P.subbalteatus.

I wonder if the species you have there are active.

Thats definatly not Subb. There is no band on the cap. I've seen pics of mottled Subb's but there is no mottling either.

Panaeolina foeniscii

Cap: up to 2cm, campanulate to convex, smooth, dark brown when wet but drying to a clay colour, flesh thin.

Stem: to 5cm long, slender, fragile, equal, hollow,paler than cap.

Gills: adnate and often notched near stem, broad, pale brown at first becoming mottled as the spores ripen and finally sooty brown with white edges.

Spores: Dark brown to almost black in print, warted, with a germ pore,ellisoidal to lemon shaped, 11-15 x 6.9 um

Smell n taste: None,

Distrib: grows singly or in groups in grassy places, act, nsw, vic, sa, wa

I reckon its an aged one o them, or a Panaeolus ovatus from somewhere with a bit of wind exposure, seems to make them flatten? Looks a bit too domed capwise for a pan ant of that "vintage" most I've seen are a lil more "pointed" at the apex, but they're nothing if not variable little creatures.

I don't bother trying to ID anything aged personally.. too easy to miss what was glaringly obvious on the day before you found it.

Happy huntin

GD