The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WarpedAstro

Gramma Rays/Heat Treatments??

Hello,

Just wondering, as I was reading bit of arguement/debate in some other website, and the website didn't pass on enough information for me (and maybe others ??) anyway if someone wants to import some herbs/dried products from overseas, and they have to be "heat-treated" or "Gramma Rayed" will they affect the alkiods/chemicals in the products, making the herbs useless?? Is Gramma Rays bit similar to moblie phone's "microwaves rays"??? or totally different rays, is harmful to humans if humans used Gramma Rayed products?? or there is a lot of hype related to this because I saw on the News last week or so about protesters trying to stop a development of Gramma -ray treatment plant somewhere here in Brisbane???

Anyone can tell me any good links or just basic breif information will be great, there's no need to go over-informed here, I just want to know 2 things:

1) Heat/Gramma Treatments affect the chemicals/alkoids in dried products/herbs?

2) Gramma Rays harmful to humans???

Please keep this thread brief and straight to the point, no need for both sides arguing/debating....and getting over-informed...lets keep the peace here guys... cheers again, WA wink.gif

Guest Monkey Shines

Using products treated with gamma rays is not harmful at all. The actual gamma rays are harmful though.

Gamma rays are different to microwaves because they are higher frequency and are ionizing.

Not sure about destroying chemicals though

Some people believe that gamma rays cause changes wihtin the food. unpredictable changes especially to proteins. there is little evidence of ANY such effect, but then again in this day and age it is hard to believe so called 'science' that has strong interest groups.

I presume the hype is similar to that which surrounded the advent of microwave ovens. for many years it was believed by the alternative crowd that microwave food was harmful.... and who knows, maybe it is. however there is no evidence as such. quite the contrary, it has emerged that microwaved food has more vitamins due to shorter heating periods.

the same reaosning might apply for gamma irradiation, where it may turn out to be safer than heat treatment.

as for alkaloids, some will degrade at the 80 deg C AQIS insist on using. DMT freebase vaporises at less than this temp, however most dmt is not present in plants as freebase.

many herbs containing essential oils are 'flat' after heat treatment. and some products actually stink from some heat decomposition products. In practice, there seems to be little effect on the herbal material if activity/effect is all you are concerned about.

I have no opinion about gamma irradiation as such, but feel uneasy enough about it to avoid it totally. My attitude was not about the irradiation itself, but about AQIS/customs procedures, which I happen to have (too) much experience in.

AQIS will never irradiate without you knowing. You will always be sent a letter outlining your options and the recommended method of treatment. Heat is their preferred option.

I thought gamma ray,s turned you into

the incredible hulk,lol.

As far as I know the effects of eating microwaved foods has never been tested in the population.

It is known that free amino acids in food can be changed by microwaves into non-food (by which I mean they are not one of the common and essential) amino acids. Some non-food amino acids are very dangerous.

Gamma radiation is ionising and therefore effects chemical changes. Probably randomly.

Guest reville

If there was any studies done it would be hard to judge the effects of microwave irradiation from the effects of Plasticizers

and the assorted crap that leaches out of the plastic wrap and 'microwave-safe' conatiners

I dont own one. I have considered getiing one- to pasteurise compost n horse shit- but not to eat from. The reason i havent is that if i did my girlfriend would want to use it for food and then we would have arguments about me not using it for its 'proper' purpose. It was hard enough to convince her that doing compost jars in the same p/c we make the roast in was OK - my point that it was all sterilised anyway and that we were going to eat the resultant button mushies anyway didnt help much

I think woks and steamers are just as efficient and microwaves arent as fast as they appear to be in comparison

eg

compare doing veggies (4 mins by memory)

to in a conventioanl steamer - maybe 6 to 8

I mean if 4 minutes makes a difference to you then you prob dont belong in a kitchen anyway.Whatever you are making to go with it is going to need at least 8 mins anyway on the other burner

And if you want to do a roast then spice it and chuck it in an oven bag and pressure cook it (yes i admit i love my p/c) then finish it in the oven - soo tender n juicy

and... the intense pressure and heat does a good job of removing any remaining issues with salmonella.

he, he, you poms reinventing the wheel wink.gif

we've had microwave porridge for years. Several brands of it too.

But seriously, what gets me is that ANY oats can be microwaved. No need for special microwave oats.

Personally I prefer to make my porridge in the microwave, not because of time restraints (never compromise when food is involved), but because it doesn't burn, doesn't skin, and tastes nicer. You can also cook it much thicker than in a pot. Actually, heating milk products is about the only thing I use the microwave for (I hate the skin bits).

Guest electro

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 October 2002).]

People seem to forget that age old methods of cooking (BBQ type cooking) chars (pyrolyses) the food to some extent and leaves the food covered in lots of carcinogenic compounds.

Processing food always seems to change the food for the better and for the worst at the same time.

Either the natural bacteria/fungi toxins get you if you don't heat or the process altered toxins get you if you do.

Life wasn't ment to be save.

E D

Now you tell me, Rev YOU were the one introduced me to the total convenience of the microwaved baked potato, expanding my culinary range by a total 100%. And now you break my heart by telling me its not safe...

What's wrong with a dual purpose microwave anyhow, but mebbe you have it the wrong way round... pressure cookers are for poo, microwaves are for food wink.gif

I should shut ma mouf, or yr g/f's gunna kill me. As long as she is wearing that nice nail polish, I'll be happy

Guest reville

Dont let me ruin the party then smile.gif

If i was to use a microwave regularly in my home then i would prob avoid cooking fatty or protein rich foods in it and stick to things like veg and spuds.

More importantly, as i was really getting at, is the avoidance of the vessels so often used to cook in the microwave like plastics which soften and sweat all sorts of crap into your food.

Use glass dishes with lids or with spuds just prick and cook on paper towelling

Eschelle has forgotten about microwaves for now and seeing as i do most of the cooking hopefully i can keep it that way smile.gif

Re pyrolysing food.

True but Id rather stick to tried and true rather than introduce a new possible danger , besides that BBQ flavour tastes *so good* in a way microvaed bacon or whatever never could.

I just want to say that most of the precautionary avoidance i take into consideration is based on evidence just as shaky as the attitude of dismissal of the authorities so its all a matter of choice