The Corroboree
stonewolf

hypothetically, is it possible to grow opium from the seeds from

and if so how would someone do that. Also if per say it didnt work, how would someone go about getting seeds that would grow.

Put sum in water, wait a couple o days and see if they sprout. You'll have ur answer pretty quickly.

and if so how would someone do that. Also if per say it didnt work, how would someone go about getting seeds that would grow.

Go to any garden store ands look for "Stars and Stripes","Hen's and Chicks", "Giganteum's", "Turkish Pride", or Papaver Somniferum". These are poppies which were long bred for opium production, and all of which are available in any garden store. Others will work, but yeild will be less. The above strains have the largest/greatest # of seed pods, and that's pretty much what determines opium production.

Go to any garden store ands look for "Stars and Stripes","Hen's and Chicks", "Giganteum's", "Turkish Pride", or Papaver Somniferum".
really???

i thought--

The cultivation of Papaver somniferum and Papaver bracteatum is a illegal under federal, state and local legislation.
---from SAB website

Yeah i thought it was illegal to grow but possesion of the seed is fine :wacko:

People still sell seed on ebay and claim that it grows in their garden. I guess its ok if you are a "normal" citizen over 40 that is into gardening for beautifacation of your home and in no way interested in any plants psychoactive effect.

Yeah i thought it was illegal to grow but possesion of the seed is fine

That may be, I didn't check on the legality. I just know that I purchased all of the above (Hens and Chicks, etc.) plus Persian Blue, at the local garden store several years ago. I have saved a few pods each grow ever since, so have had no occasion to purchase more. Funny, I am a 'normal' citizen, and over 40, and they do look good in my garden, right next to my Pedros and Lophs. (LOL)

That may be, I didn't check on the legality. I just know that I purchased all of the above (Hens and Chicks, etc.) plus Persian Blue, at the local garden store several years ago.

Do you live in Australia Captu4ik?

Funny, I am a 'normal' citizen, and over 40, and they do look good in my garden, right next to my Pedros and Lophs. (LOL)

haha

most of the seed i have procured over the years have been from my partners Grandmother or from people of the same age, they all seemed to know that you arent SUPPOSED to grow them, but, like they said "if they want to come and knock my door down for a few flowers, so be it" lol, some of them even said that they occaisionaly make a "tea" from the flower heads. I only know of one person that has recieved a visit from the poolice in regards to the yard full of poppies he had. There as no action taken but they suggested he get rid of them all.

when we still had the grand-prix hazel hawke(bobs missus) did some big publicity thingy where she planted the first garden bed for the new track, turned out to be an opium poppy and they had to be torn up quickly and quietly :lol:

and I've worked on 2 council depot gardens that had huge clumps of beautiful big pink poppies(somniferum)

Ive read somewhere recently that germination in the wild is somewhat crap so it's best to start them off like suggested above then plant out(explains why the thousands of seeds I have thrown over the road into the paddock havent come up.shame) :rolleyes:

I scattered lots of the supermarket ones about and they all grew ok, but produced small, shitty pods. Ok for tea though, but would be too much of a mission to harvest them.

but, like they said "if they want to come and knock my door down for a few flowers, so be it"

Certainly

but for those with other sensitivities they may provide a good reason for a search.

No, US.

You should make sure you state that when you are discussing legalities and availability of different plants, or put it in your profile :wink:.

I don't see the big deal here.

I live in perth and my local garden store has live opium poppies for sale. Their given names like 'turkish poppies". They're pretty much your stereotypical opium poppy too. I really don't think anyone cares, I mean aren't hemp products still illegal but who has ever been busted for that.

I don't see the big deal here.

I live in perth and my local garden store has live opium poppies for sale. Their given names like 'turkish poppies". They're pretty much your stereotypical opium poppy too. I really don't think anyone cares, I mean aren't hemp products still illegal but who has ever been busted for that.

Yeah i dont think anyone really cares, heaps of people have poppies in their garden, but like creach said

Certainly

but for those with other sensitivities they may provide a good reason for a search.

I think i might grow them in my backyard then because from time to time I find myself with certain dried flower heads that law enforcement cares entirely too much about.

As apposed to front yard, cops living in my street and all.

Almost every year someone in australia gets busted for growing poppies. many get jail sentences. some cases have been discussed on these forums even, so UTSE.

Just be aware that in most states the cultivation of 50 illegal plants is an automatic jail sentence of several years. To the court it makes no difference whether the illegal plant is a 2m tall cannabis plant or a single podded poppy stalk.

When making decisions to do something illegal don't con yourself and others into a false sense of security. Be aware of the risks.

You should make sure you state that when you are discussing legalities and availability of different plants, or put it in your profile :wink:.

I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding, but my location does say 25:00 N. I thought that was enough as I don't like advertising my citizenship. I didn't realize the initial poster was in Aus. Captu4ik.

Almost every year someone in australia gets busted for growing poppies. many get jail sentences.

Torsten, what criteria do you think the poolice would use when it comes to deciding who they bust and who they leave alone?

In this area there are hundereds of people throughout various towns growing poppies. How do i know? Because the front yards look amazing when you walk past and the poppies are in flower. Some of the gardens have ridiculous amounts of plants in them, well over fifty. Would the poolice ignore it because the flowers are in the front yard for ornamental purposes or is it just that they dont notice the hundereds of busts the could have every year?

Police would probably use age and possible usage as criteria. Most busts involve the presence of poppy straw or scored capsules. Bottom line is that the cops have to make it stick in court, and judges tend to let people off if they are convinced the offense was based on innocent ignorance. That just means lots of paperwork for the cops, with another 'normal' citizen alienated.

Thanks T.

my partner has sown some seed in rememberance of her sister who loved poppies. She put them in the front yard as an ornamental and we want to get the seed from them to share with the rest of the family. The seed was originally obtained from her sister who has since passed away and my partner nearly cried when i told her i had to pull them all out.

I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding, but my location does say 25:00 N. I thought that was enough as I don't like advertising my citizenship. I didn't realize the initial poster was in Aus. Captu4ik.

Hey,

most discussions here on legality refer to Aus, so when no specific place is named you can guess they're talking about here.

I got your location from the coordinates, but some people wouldn't, so I just asked to ensure there was no misunderstanding. Some of our most valued members are USians and I don't think anyone here is narrowminded enough to be prejudiced against them because of their nationality.

But this also brings up another possible legal use of aquiring 100% ORGANIC poppy seeds for culinary purposes. This would require the picking of and drying of the pods for there seeds, but no drug use was intended.

When my garden is finnished, I would like to sow and let free seed every year just to fill up any gaps in the garden and to purty it up a little. Collecting poppy seed for use on breads and in cakes would be a welcome addition to any kitchen.

Also, seed companies in W.A. grow them in large amounts for seed sales. I guess if u got nothing to hide, then u got nothing to worry about. If u r not making opium and don't have any other illegal things when they search then I doubt they would prosecute. Atleast I would think thats wat the population would hope, but I'd prefer not to test that theory out personally.

On another note; last year on news. Police busted several small, illegal "bush crops" of attended/cultivated poppies in the S.W. of W.A. They even staked it out and busted the cultivators, which is sumthing they will never do for pot, even very large crops.

It's only old people that use heroine mainly these days so even age may not get u off from being a suspect. In Perth a 72 year old man has/ is being prosecuted for dealing large quantities of meth and heroin, even having another $100,000 worth of smack dropped off while he was in gaol. Like pushing kilo+ ranges. Always those u least expect. :P

Sumtimes.......The best place to hide sumthing is rite out in the open!

naja naja, please re-read my posts. you are way off.