The Corroboree
Tripitaka

Psychotria carthaginensis

I have a whole bunch of very ripe seed that I am happy to distrubute.

ergoamide will be posting a qualitative report on the plant in question very soon ,which sounds quite positive!

Just send me a PM with your postal addy. I will send them out when I get back from my little Southern jaunt.

WOW! Ok that just about does it for now! will see how many more ripen after the trip.

Hey Tripitaka,

just wanted to say thanks for doing what your doing :) it's truly admirable, almost enough to inspire me to give up my dayjob and make seeds and cuttings for a living.

So very much a :worship: to you and hopefully next time I jump in quicker :BANGHEAD2: hehehe.

Thanks mate!!

Thanks Infinitee. I hope to have more stuff available soon. Send me a PM and you can be the last.

almost enough to inspire me to give up my dayjob and make seeds and cuttings for a living.

Stick with your day job as it affords the luxury of buying more species :)

Happy to make half of mine available to someone else tripitaka :lol:

Thanks De_Quinceys_Dream! Its all good, should be able to send about 15-20 per person, am getting very high germination rates albeit it takes some time. I really believe in the long term sustainability of this plant and am happy to get it out there!

Other members of the Rubiaceae are also seeding at the moment.

and than years down the track you find youreselfe in somebodies garden and admire a nice looking plant...

and the plant carer suddenly says to you, oh i forgot to mention, i grew that from the seed you did send me, gee that feels good! hmm, why not, let's go into fantasyland, after that he exclaims, the leaves of this plant helped me to heal traumas and addictions!

what mighty things can rise just from a tiny seed!!

So very true Planthelper.

Did I mention it seeds prolifically! After no more than two growing seasons you can do the same.

P1010005-1.jpg

Nice work old mate! Spread the Love

beautiful tripitaka, nice work.

I'm guessing the berry shot is within the last few days?

Mine are still hanging on and even slower to mature with the melbourne temperature, I gaze at them every day for any change...still green...maybe come spring they'll ripen.

Any tips for cleaning the seed? asap gently mash the berries in h20 and collect clean seed?

the good thing is that after they turn red, they can turn a sort of purple, whilst still remaining on the plant.

in short, seeds will stay fresh (they might stay attached to the plant all over the winter months!) if left on the plant...

aswell the skin comes off much easier if the fruit has turned dark red, or whatever the name of the color, lol.

cleaning the seeds is quite some work so i don't think a person giving seeds away for free should have to clean them.

rubbing seed against a mash works fine, some people add a little bit of white king to the wash water...

Edited by planthelper

Im thinking Psychotria Jam! :)

I am thinking psychotria coffee!! I wonder if the seeds contain caffeine.

Torsten>>I am thinking psychotria coffee!! I wonder if the seeds contain caffeine.

Mmmmm, will put some in the Popcorn maker and brew a cup! Sincerely, if you are growing your own coffee a Popcorn maker is indespensable to the process. The hot air convection is ideal for roasting the beans.

Will let you know. One shot ot two??

I am thinking psychotria coffee!! I wonder if the seeds contain caffeine.

Psychotria jam + Psychotria coffee = Psychotria breakfast! :lol:

Edited by apothecary

I'd still be very careful with this plant given the report Schultes gave about Makuna people considering this species toxic. It doesn't define which part.

The fruit of Psychotria erecta is used in curare preperations, some consider it essential and is said to be extremely toxic.

Psychotria cuspidata is considered to have poisonous fruits and seed.

Plus various other psychotrias having poisonous/toxic properties.

(The Healing Forest; Raffauf, Schultes)

Edited by gerbil

Yeah,

One Psychotria is the source for ipecac syrup.

:puke:

well if someone is overly good at raising these ill be keen on plants down the track

maybe 20-30 - i forgrt what fits in a tray of 75 mm pots - like the ones the use for native trees

im thinking itll make a nice hedge

Edited by Rev

The seeds are nearly ready to send out and jsut waiting on the outer flesh to dry some more for shipping. There are about 20 lots going out to those who have responded and that just about finishes the seed that was available, except for those put aside for Psychotria jam and coffee. :)

Good luck growing them out! From expereince I would expect that you will have a viable and highly sustainable population in several years.

Rev >>well if someone is overly good at raising these ill be keen on plants down the track

maybe 20-30

I have about 20 plants that I would be keen on seeing going to a good home. They are about 3 years of age Rev and would need to arrange a suitable way of getting them up to you.

Anyone travelling North from the Mid North Coast??

I'd also like to grow some at some stage. Maybe from the next lot of seeds as it seems these have been very popular; and rightly so given what I've been reading about them.

All sent out today!

Other trades will be filled as soon as this assignment is finished :BANGHEAD2:

got mine too...

was a complete mistery where they came from (no sender) but now I know.

many thANKS.

off into the seed tray they go...

gom>>was a complete mistery where they came from (no sender) but now I know.

Haha, yeah I'm entering a new anonymous phase in life!

Thanx Champ, I got my seed today, Most excellent.......

You are A Leg end.......................................... !!