The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
WarpedAstro

How did Salvia became illegal??

I'm curious how did Salvia became illegal?? who/which groups started "illegalised" Salvia in Australia, are we really the first country to make salvia illegal in the world?? How did the Federal Government learnt all shit about Salvia?? Thru the brainwashing arrogant media? Federal Police or one of these anti-drug groups? Someone reckons that a child of a pollie found out that their kids was smoking salvias, and they over-reacted and started doing all the paperwork to make it illegal...As I've never tired Salvia, but my cousins in Finland have been telling me tales about the effects....plan to try it when I head off to europe one day...

nothing to do with pollies. it was the 'office of complementary medicines' (ie, the commercial herbalists) which requested action on this species, to which the TGA scheduling committee obliged.

All other details are given on the 'salvia in trouble' page.

So we were sold out by herbalists? Why would they care? Did they think it might affect their reputation or something? I know some herbalists think that everything is bad for you but that is ridiculous, espesially when it is so harmless compared to alcohol, tobacco etc.

BTW does anyone know about the legality of growing (not consuming) sal div, I can't seem to get a straigt answer anywhere

hi,

it is allways only a matter of time,

before the MIGHTY choose to take it

out of reach for the people who did

all the ground work!

its a pitty because:

salvia is the only plant apart from

hemp where the active in(greed)ience

is not an alkaloid.

its even selfguarded a thing only

us trippers understand.bla bla..

one time a read a sience fiction

roman and the heroine got executed

for possesing a harmles leave of a forest tree,only still there for..for the mighty rulers... aprece(HATE)ing, nature, no apreci(LOVE)ing it

enjoy the plant kigdom while its still LEGAL.

to us...

wink.gif

Originally posted by Yeti101:

So we were sold out by herbalists? Why would they care?

I don't know. I don't have any contact to the 'office of complimentary medicine'. Mulga recently claimed to have friends there, so maybe someone wants to ask him at EA-forums.

There are ethnobotany people who approved of salvia, but didn't approve of the extracts. Maybe they tried to use the system to get their way and it got out of hand. The wording of the TGA release indicates that a schedule 4 was considered, but that this would not have addressed the importation of the herb.

It's all speculation and I doubt it will ever be more than that. There are so many ways this could have come about. I don't think that the 'common people' will ever be told all the details.

BTW does anyone know about the legality of growing (not consuming) sal div, I can't seem to get a straigt answer anywhere

you won't get a straight answer anywhere cos noone knows. This is the first time ever that the TGA has scheduled a plan species. Usually they schedule a product or constituent only, but in this case they blanketed it with the whole species name. personally, if the law is read as written, then I would think that the plant is illegal to grow. However, I feel that they did not try to make it that way when they wrote the law. The problem is how to get them to clarify without waking them up to a potential loophole. I think this requires patience. I assume we will have this worked out in a year or so.

I don't really agree with the decision to schedule this herb (or anything else for that matter)however I do feel that this herb deserves a level of respect and understanding that reflects it's awsome power.

Those that seek a majikal learning experience will often be prepared to forgo a seemingly insurmountable journey.

I do hope this has not been posted already, but a seach on the site came up negative.

Check out http://thomas.munro.com/

for some possibly interesting info and links

actually, the petition is so important that I am going to start a new thread for it.

I just added a link to Thomas Munro's site.

I'll get a hand written pettition started ASAP.

After reading through all that, I'm very confident about the idea I had when I first heard the news about the schedulling.

Not the best idea, but I wanted to get charged for possessing and traficking the herb & then battle it out in a courtroom.

I thought there might be some backing from this community and also the wider community.

After all there are a great deal of people involved in natural healing/ ethnobotanicals/ entheogens/ science/ spirituality and so on.

The only thing holding me back is being able to afford legal cost.

Would you guys send me letters to my cell?

hi adrian,have you seen the movie 'skidoo'?

prepare your stationary!

t s t .

On a side note, an imaginary friend of mine told me that his imaginary dealer (very dodgy) was looking to get his hands on some sally dee, as people had been asking him if he sold it.

I was not impressed, at all. It shits me so many people would not give salvia the time of day before, but now it is illegal, imaginary dickheads want to make money out of misuseing it.

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

Originally posted by Yeti101:

On a side note, an imaginary friend of mine told me that his imaginary dealer (very dodgy) was looking to get his hands on some sally dee, as people had been asking him if he sold it.

I was not impressed, at all. It shits me so many people would not give salvia the time of day before, but now it is illegal, imaginary dickheads want to make money out of misuseing it.

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

well there ya have it, prohibition works wonders for the economy.

Blah. frown.gif

Not all Herbalists are pro scheduling , in fact a lot of us would like nothing more than to see the scheduling of herbs banned !!! I wont go into the whole dialouge here , suffice to say we are doing our bit for preservation os species for all levels of healing

nothing to do with pollies. it was the 'office of complementary medicines' (ie, the commercial herbalists) which requested action on this species, to which the TGA scheduling committee obliged.

All other details are given on the 'salvia in trouble' page. [/b]

I wasn't talking about herbalists like you. For starters you are a rebel cos you make your own tinctures rather than buying mediherb wink.gif

But then again people like you also don't hold much sway with the office of complimentary medicine or the TGA......

I am glad we still have a few real herbalists rather than just mediherb dispensers.