The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

special beers

This post got deleted a while ago when torsten moved house to the woodlands of vegas, any ideas?

Edited by darcy

Guest Ramon

Darcy I believe I have the information on my computer. The only problem being that it is currently in for repair.

I shall post the info when I get it back.

Guest DragonFyre

damn I wish I could remember what it was they used instead of Hops/Marijuana in brewing.... confused.gif will post if I remember...

I've *heard* of people adding Scotch Broom tops and Dream Herb (Calea) before but never tried so myself, so I cant really comment on how they would go...

also darcy posted b4 about soaking cannabis in water b4 using it to rid the awful chlorophyll taste, would this remove any important water-soluable alkaloids that one would want to keep? (sorry, but Im far from a al/chemist)

[This message has been edited by DragonFyre (edited 03 April 2002).]

calea would be the most efficient bittering substance available. possibly equal to hops extract or alpha acids. yuk.

A friend of a friend ;-) once made home brew to which he added home made opium. Apparently it tasted vile but had a kick like a mule.

Certainly the major actives are terpenes but I wouldn´t rule out the effects of the alkaloids. A tea from the roots cured my hayfever for three days.

I couldn't find the original Magic Beer thread using the search... but I saved it to my hard drive to print for a friend's tapir who is a close mate of my llama wink.gif

I changed it into some bizarro format, if anyone's interested in seeing it I can email it.

Guest Ramon

Got my computer back after two months so here is the aforementioned file.

Originally posted by Darcy

I have a recipe here for HempBeer that i got out of a book by christian rätsch. It may be illegal to do this in the place where u are living. In that case, substitute, 'Buds', for 'Hops'.

1 litre (about 1.2kg) Brewing malt

1 kg Honey

50-100g 'Buds'

Brewing Yeast

20 litres Water

First mix honey with 2 litres of water then put the 'Buds' in this (in a pot). Heat and cook for a few minutes. Put all of this in a sterilised brew barrel (leave the 'Buds' in). Add Brewing Malt. Stir and fill to 22 litres. Add yeast. Put in that special warm place (20-25 degrees) for 4-5 days until the fermentation is mostly over and the specific gravity is right (whatever that will be).

Bottle in 750ml bottles.

Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar to each bottle.

Cap.

Leave for at least 2 weeks.

Enjoy.

Pot beer is easy to make, a wizard I know makes it at end of every summer from his outdoor haverst, just make your normal home brew beer but might be good idea to use one of these stronger flavoured beers, and you have to use FRESH budleaves, buds, and leaves, because if you used dried products, the beer will end up tasting like bong water, and he just got some special bag (similar to women's stockings) that you can buy from brew shops that its used for adding hops to give a hoppy type of beer, just put the weed in that bag, he used about 50-60 grams of 1/3 each of buds, leaves, and bud leaves, just chuck the weed in the brew container on the a day or two after its starts to bubble/brew...also sometimes he use 50/50 weed/hops to improve the flavour a bit......

I put up a fairly lengthy post on special beers in my previous incarnation as "Saccharomyces". Alas, it seems to have vanished into the universal hole, so I will try and re-cap.

THC won't dissolve in water, so you need to extract the herb into the alcoholic brew, and obviously it works best if this is done near the end of fermentation, (and the herb should be shredded). The second logistical consideration is that the good stuff seems to bind to the dregs, so that means you should ideally be performing the extraction in a secondary fermenter stage, after leaving behind the initial major yeast cake. It also means that you should deliberately bottle and drink cloudy brew.

The extraction process is reasonably fast, but 2-3 weeks is advisable for efficiency. We had a minor controversy last time about decarboxylating the natural THC to an active form. I maintained that eating dried buds doesn't work, and that heating and/or prolonged exposure to alcohol is required.

Any THC solution will be degraded by light, so bear that in mind when extracting and storing. Heat and oxygen are other factors which are generally best avoided.

I haven't tried extracting raw, undried herb, but I would imagine the chlorophyll would be overwhelming. A water soak/wash of the dried herb is a good idea for light-flavoured brews.

Guest reville
Originally posted by theobromos:

Certainly the major actives are terpenes but I wouldn´t rule out the effects of the alkaloids. A tea from the roots cured my hayfever for three days.

I think that this is an important issue with Cannabis. People always equate it with THC alone.

Isnt it the case in jamaica that women drink it as a tea and dont smoke.

I certainly remember an interview with Deni Hines speaking about her healthy relationship with this plant from her early teens she said he mother alays had a jug of tea in the back of the fridge - howevre she didnt say it was for getting 'High' she siad it was for analgesia or stress or anxiety.

There are so many elements within cannabis and between various strains as weve all noticed, i doubt even the expanded family surrounding THC account for all of this.

I have used Hemp leaf tea as a relaxing and anti-nausea agent with good effect.

If i was going to use it to replace Hops i think that these water soluble agents are the ones id want.

As a benefit the left over leaf material would smoke much more nicely too.

Guest reville

yes except when you are like me and are wierd in that you *dont* like the effects of THC but still comtemplate using the plants for its other medical uses.In this case the water soluble components

"the THCs remain after the soakings (some will fall off in the water)"

you DO NOT want to do this to decent buds, as most ov your trichomes WILL fall off in the water.

"I maintained that eating dried buds doesn't work, and that heating and/or prolonged exposure to alcohol is required."- eating dried buds WILL work but the THC needs to be bonded to a fat to be absorbed in the stomach, hence the 'sacred ghee' used in india. if you ate a bud & then a big mac you'd get a hit.

That explains why in my younger days when I ate a bud with a packet of potatoe chips that I got effects.