The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shaman

New to mushrooms

Hey im new to this forum... im interested in mushrooms and mycology

Im in the Western suburbs of melbourne- Werribee to be more specific, and i dont really know where to start looking for mushrooms?

Without giving away your particular spot are there any people who would know any good areas (general area's will do) in Werribee or Western suburbs and would care to share them with me?

Any posts that could help me in any way are apreciated:D

Thanks Gene

Edited by shaman

i have heard reports of them being found along koroiot creek (sp?)

i have never been looking there

be interested if anyone has found them around there

Hi shaman,

I'm from the Werribee area too, Unfortunately, I'm also new to mushroom hunting, but I plan to look all over Werribee/Hoppers for some nice spots. If I find any I will give you a message ;)

Edited by chriscore

Hi shaman,

I'm from the Werribee area too, Unfortunately, I'm also new to mushroom hunting, but I plan to look all over Werribee/Hoppers for some nice spots. If I find any I will give you a message ;)

Ooo thanks, cheers brother.

Yeh if i find any ill msg you aswell

im now living around the newport/williamstown area and its a little too picket-fency for me...

Mate the western sub$$urbs arent really that good for our little friends - the only luck ive had so far is around the uni campus area at footscray and some parklands in teh local area - i might have to head up to macedon alhough ive got my eye on one patch that looks promising.

Man i miss living up in Macleod...

yeh! not to good, i went looking along werribee river today and had no luck:(

im still hopeing that i'll find a couple of mushrooms

I found a patch today in Yarraville. Just prowl your local landscape garden areas.

Target the specific habitat features of the species you are seeking.

I am interested in any psycedalic (sp?) ones...for reasearch ofcoarse :)

Im not to sure where to look, just been looking on wet green area's etc.

Hi Guys. I'm from the Werribee area as well, and new to the site as well.

I haven't found any around this area, but then I haven't looked very hard yet either. There's alot of farmland around the Werribee South area. An old tripper from work told me he gets his from around this area. Don't know exactly where though. And there's alot of empty space out there. Good Luck.

I found shitloads in the yarraville/spotwood/newport area yesterday.

well atleast if people are finding some we know its the season..

Werribee south ayy? If you find out anymore info aobut were and are feeling generous care to share it with me maybe?

Ill have to check there out.

Cheers

i envy you guys further south for your finds but not for your day time temps

cold at night is ok you are asleep but the cold rainy days suck

we had a rare one yesterday

and it sucked

if you lve in th eright climate spend $50 on multiple cubic metres of woodchips and bring the fun home

Hi guys. Just got back from taking the dog for a walk and literally saw 100's of these growing along side the path.

I have 2 questions. 1) Can someone identify them? and 2) Are they a 'good' find?

The were found in patches of grass in parkland.

Thanks

post-1535-1146548249_thumb.jpgpost-1535-1146548288_thumb.jpgpost-1535-1146548320_thumb.jpgpost-1535-1146548354_thumb.jpgpost-1535-1146548386_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548249_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548288_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548320_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548354_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548386_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548249_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548288_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548320_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548354_thumb.jpg

post-1535-1146548386_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepdarkmind

post-1503-1146551224_thumb.jpg

post-1503-1146551253_thumb.jpg

I found this today(along with others that appear to be the same), they were growing on a garden bed which was mainly barky wood. An I.D would be great if possible. Mainly all the same size, with the cap being about 4 cm across and the whole mushroom approx 11.5 cm tall. When i rubbed the cap to see if it would bruise blue, all it would do was get these yellow marks on it taht only stayed for 5-10 min, then would go back to normal colour (just a bit off white) again.

Any help id'ing them would be greatly appreciated

P.s Sorry about the poor photo quality

Edited by shaman

i thought the first was Marasmius ordeas but the spore colour and substrate are wrong - not active though

The second looks like agaricus xanthoderma - the yellow stainer - which is veyr common and poisonous

i thought the first was Marasmius ordeas but the spore colour and substrate are wrong - not active though

The second looks like agaricus xanthoderma - the yellow stainer - which is veyr common and poisonous

Alright thanks for the I.D mate

cheers

Hey, thanks for that. I'm heading out again tomorrow so I hope I'll have another post for tomorrow. Don't really know how to show appreciation for all this, I'd be lost without this site, so thanks again. Have studied up on the habitat of the more 'targeted' species, just so I don't hound everyone for ID's on useless mushrooms. Happy Hunting everyone.

'Screw christmas, now is the season to be jolly'

found some mushrooms today up on teh school footy oval, i assumed they wernt active because they dindt bruise blue... heaps of them though

I might go back there on the weekend to have a more detailed look, at westbourne grammar up in Hoppers crossing

the type of mushrooms your looking for grow from wood, you would be much better looking in woodchipped garden beds than on grassy ovals

i see what you mean, i think ill have to take more notice of wood chipped area's etc.

thanks

check out my post in the aussie finds thread - i had a great patch and apparently local high school kids go down after school every night and strip it - aint none left and there would have been hundreds of pins..

Hey can anybody i.d these for me? Found on woodchip and decomposed leaves under a large fruit tree in my mates backyard?

From comparing them with other pics they look like subs... to me, but i dont no much about mushrooms.

p.s sorry about the file size if there large

post-1503-1146745740_thumb.jpg

post-1503-1146745851_thumb.jpg

Anyones thoughts about what it is would be a great help

Thanks all, gene

Yep they are subs alright, very nice and happy hunting for the rest of the season. :)

Hey can anybody i.d these for me? Found on woodchip and decomposed leaves under a large fruit tree in my mates backyard?

From comparing them with other pics they look like subs... to me, but i dont no much about mushrooms.

p.s sorry about the file size if there large

Anyones thoughts about what it is would be a great help

Thanks all, gene

I can confirm a positive I.D. on those as being Psilocybe subaeruginosa. :rolleyes: