The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
botanika

botanika's new music

I dont know if I should post this or not. Part of my first attempts at using computer music so Im still on the learning curve of my equipment. I recorded the vocals at midnight last night half asleep and then my computer crashed and I lost everything except the sequencer data after I saved this mp3 :( I didnt even get a chance to master or EQ it properly! So yeah the vocal's are kinda raw and sucky but now I've lost the data I have an opprtunity to do it better when Im awake - just not sure if the song is worth pursuing?

This song I feel is a bit layered too - 'less is more' and thats something I will hone in the future. I haven't given up the guitar though - still a bit in there :)

Anyway I hope someone out there has a listen and enjoys. No samples - all original work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9BRYV8DH

sorry big file!

Hey man,

Thought I would do the honours seeing as no-one has posted yet and how worthy I think this track is of a good review.

Really impressive track, especially if you are new to 'electronic' music (although I am definitely NOT an expert in ANY of the associated genres). I found the piece really interesting, which is what is important from my perspective, with plenty to listen to. I liked the layering, and thought it was a good balance, especially for someone like me who has a bit of a short attention span for simple repeditive ideas (there goes most pop music out the window). All the changes were nice and smooth and were timed well. For an unmastered track, it sounded pretty darn good to me (through my studio monitor headphones, that are good for everything but bass and subs).

Now, if this criticism is going to be worth the 1's and 0's it is encoded within, I must be honest in saying that I felt some of the vocals were slightly off key. Don't take that too seriously though if you hear otherwise, as I don't claim to have perfect pitch recognition or anything like that. Other than those few moments the vocals were awesome and really fitted with the track. :)

It's a shame you lost the session for that, you were obviously on a role. I hate it when that happens. Even though I know to backup and save frequently, I occasionally get in a zone where I write and record a heap of really good stuff, and I just want to get it down as fast as I can before it's gone, and then boom - I loose it all because I was impatient :).

Edited by Pelinester

Hey Pelinester, thanks for the warm comments, and no offence taken with the vocals - haha I know exactly how bad they are and when they're out of tune! The whispering parts and lower pitch vocals turned out reasonable though. Maybe I should try and sing more dark and let instruments compliment the higher note parts.

I tend to slap vocals on late at night when I finish the music instead of when my voice is in its sweet spot and I also recently realised my mic is a midrange freq one so it doesn't do much for bass and trebles - its great for recording guitars but hopeless for getting ballsy vocals. I just picked up a Rode mic today, I'll see how that goes when I try it soon. I gotta re-record the guitars and vocals I lost in the crash anyway :D

Cheers mate - looking foward to hearing some of your future work too.

Yeah, the lower pitched vocals sounded really professional to be honest. They were really good.

not bad mate - i liked the middle part the best in between the two main choruses. I reckon you should pull that snare sample though and sample a meaty snare from a cd.

not bad mate - i liked the middle part the best in between the two main choruses. I reckon you should pull that snare sample though and sample a meaty snare from a cd.

Yeah good suggestion and easily done. The drums are sequenced so I can just change the pad sound. I luckily didn't loose any sequencing data in the crash cuz its on the keyboard. Check out the second song I posted which is entirely samples, except for the bassline which is sequenced from the keyboard.

I'm having trouble finding where to download the files on that website you linked to...