The Corroboree

I was at a party, and I was talking to one of my friends who I don't see very often about dxm. He directs little bits and pieces of motion picture, like video clips and a couple of short films. He called me up a couple of days later and said he wants to do a documentary on dxm. My initial reaction was a negative one. I don't want to draw too much attention to this drug. It is still fairly underground in Australia, and I don't want it banned. Not that I'm saying that this doco will be played on A Current Affair or anything, but once it's been created, it is 'out there'.

He said he wanted to focus on two things, the extraction, and the shamanic state achieved. I said I would be willing to be filmed under the influence, and describing the experience, but only with no mention of the drug or the extraction. He said that we would omit the name of the drug, but I still think it would be too obvious if the extraction was filmed. Anyway, I just want to know what people think of this idea, and if anyone has any ideas (preferably laterally thinking) about how this doco could be done successfully without opening a pandora's box. Thanks. Oh, by the way. I would trust this guy with my life, and I know that he will not use any footage that I request be scrapped or anything else contrary to my wishes.

-Zac

The word 'evidence' comes to mind so be weiry of extractions on camera.

Whats the purpose of this documentary? Is it a uni thing or designed for public broadcast etc. Personally id be interested in seeing such a documentary

Yeah, I'm still not sure of the legalities of extracting S2, but as long as the whole process wasn't shown (which I wouldn't want anyway), it would be pretty difficult to prove that it wasn't just a mock up.

I'm not sure what he intends to do with the doco, or who it's intended for. I think I would first show it to people from this site, upon request through PM. Then if most thought it was okay to be released I would post a link to make it available to everyone. Like I said, I'm not sure what he wants to do with it, but he works for a major production company that does a lot of advertisments for tv, so he has a lot of connections.

I would like to see the doco revolve around you... from your posts about dxm , you seem to be persuing a deeper affinity with the drug.

The main point being, drug use isn't always a tool for the escapist.

that way you wouldn't blatantly be advocating illegal drugs, but your lifestyle instead.

Yeah. The idea is that it would just be me describing the experience as I am experiencing it, and also explaining my personal philosophy on the dxm experience, putting it in context by detailing what I know about others' use of this drug. But yeah, I think the best thing would be not to be for or against the use of dxm but just to portray it as a deeply spiritual experience, as I believe it is.

DXM will never be banned as the pharmaceuticos would put pressure on the powers that be. at the very worst it'll be harder to get a hold of e.g. behind the counter, just like that lovely panadeine 15 mg.

i think if it gets released, it'll attract similar attention as that graffiti doco that came out a few months ago. it'd probably get on a current affair and get touted as the latest destroyer of young minds and foetuses. i wouldn't put my real name to something like that, as it might come back to haunt you many years down the tract.

and you won't be able to extricate the "serious" user from one who just wants to get fucked up. so when making a decision re whether or not to give the name, show how to extract it from the syrup etc, realise that you'll be making it harder for responsible people to use this drug but also prevent a lot of stupid people fucking up. you'd need to draw the line somehwere. actually, i think youd better give the name and tell people what brands to buy and avoid as the alternative is for them to just guess and it'd cause more problems. i'll stop there... but whether the story of DXM is a tale worth telling is another kettle of fish. though i'd love to see a doco on ketamine

DXM has become prescription only in at least one country (Norway or Sweden or something?). Australia has banned drugs that no other country has banned. I wouldn't expect DXM to be banned, but it's not inconcievable.

If I were to say that the drug was called DXM, or that it comes from cough syrup, I would have a responsability to provide info on making a safe choice on cough syrup. However, just showing the extraction, not everyone would know that the red stuff was cough syrup. I have also though about doing it without even mentioning that I am on a drug or that I am talking about a drug. It would be obvious, but would make it impossible for A Current Affair or Today Tonight to use it as a serious story. Obviously I would not be doing the extraction on camera.

I probably wouldn't put my name to it, but I don't think I'd have my face pixelated either. I'm proud of my stance on drug issues, and although I don't want to cause too much trouble for myself, I don't want to keep quiet either.

The tale of DXM is well worth telling.

Edited by ballzac

Is DXM illegal?

i admit i dont know

s2 = pharmacy only medicine

then what?

ive used it medicinally but not for altered states

and ive used the Robitussin brand

any good links?

how does one get purified dxm?

is it REALLY like LSD

or ist that an exageration?

its a dissociative, works by over exciting parts of the brain causing them to shut down, in a recovery like operation for the brain.

Repeated use over short periods is not so good as it can fry these neurotransmittors if over excited and not allowed to recover.

Greatly effects muscle control. I don't like, found it cold and impersonnal, mind you first time i tried I watched a movie about the atomic bomb and It left me feeling, well, strange :unsure:

works by over exciting parts of the brain causing them to shut down, in a recovery like operation for the brain.

nah, it's an NMDA antagonist, it "turns down the electricity" ... it's been linked to olney's lesions but this is disputable, there was a rebuttal of william whites paper on this but i couldn't be fucked working out what the true story is. IMHO DXM is the poor man's ketamine, the side-effects are really nasty at the higher doses (insane itchiness, overheating, sweating, puking) but some people don't seem to get it. hallucinations on the dissociatives are a lot more vivid than LSD, more like a cross between lucid dreaming and remote viewing. the experience is definitely cold and impersonal but if it makes you more objective, sometimes this can be a useful thing.

IMHO DXM is the poor man's ketamine

Id second that, but thats only my opinion as well.

Hey rev, what i could work out about the legalities in aus was that DXM could not be the primary ingredient and there is only a certain amount your aloud per dose (i THINK 10mg but i cant recall where im pulling that number from). But i suppose there are always extracts for that kinda of thing, id just want to make sure that it did take out everything else and no reactions took place. I also suppose it can depend on which brand you starting from.

I'm in a hurry. but I just wanted to say a couple of things. I've never tried ketamine, so I have nothing to compare dxm to. The hallucinations are WAY more realistic than on lsd. You can build whole worlds on the back of your eyelids. DXM cannot be used as a party drug except in very low doses, and I'm only interested in doses of 2 bottles of dx (200mL) or more. It is a real window on the soul as far as I'm concerned.

I think S2 means it would only be illegal to sell, but I have no real knowledge on this. I asked this question in a post in the legal matters forum a while ago but did not get any satisfactory answers. Anyway, I'll say more when I can. Later...

About the side-effects...I have NEVER had an itch from it. My body overheats, but I quite like walking aroung with my shirt off, as long as it's not already a hot day. I do often puke, but ginger tea prevents that. The only thing that bothers me about puking is that I hate watching my trip go down the toilet anyway. The inability to urinate after high doses is the only thing that is really a problem for me, but I see this as a self-regulating kinda thing. i.e. It only becomes problematic after having another high dose trip within a week or so, so I trip less often, which is a good thing with something this damaging to the brain.

I certainly don't think dxm is "cold and impersonal". I find it a very emotional trip. Feelings of guilt can come up and make you confront issues in your life. The whole world precipitates into one entity that knows you're tripping and wants you to feel guilty about being off your face. I'm not the only one who gets this feeling from it. I often encounter 'spirits' in my journeys, usually in elizabethan mansions :blink: . There are always intense emotion surrounding this, including fear, awe, joy, etc.

Rev: It is very easy to extract dxm freebase from any source that contains only dxm HBr, or dxm HBr and guiphenesen. It is basically a standard acid-base extraction, but the acid stage and the defatting stage is omitted.

My recipe (I certainly do not suggest anyone do this...purely educational)

Pour two bottles of Robitussin DX 200mL (400mL all up) into a large bottle that can be sealed watertight. I use one of those bottles that has a Grolsh seal on it, only bigger than a Grolsh bottle. Rinse out bottles with a small amount of water and add to the rest. Mix half a cup of cold water with one desertspoon of NaOH (following proper precautions). When fully dissolved, add to the cough syrup. Seal bottle and shake a little. Mixture will become cloudy. Add about half a cup of Shellite, seal, and shake until clear again. Using separatory funnel, or ziplock bag, drain off the cough mixture and save the Shellite/DXM mixture in a shallow glass dish. Leave to evaporate. Can be placed over a bowl of hot water to speed up evaporation (to state the obvious, do not use a naked flame). Scrape freebase off glass and place into a 000 gelcap. If you weigh your dose, be careful, because the freebase weighs 77% of what the hydrobromide salt does, so multiply what it weighs by 1.3 to find you dose. This will be a mid to high 3rd plateau dose for most people, so if you ignore my previous advise and try this, consider halving this recipe for your first time.

There are other brands in Australia that contain only dxm, but I always go for the Robitussin.

its alredy happening, give it 6-8 months and it will be illegal. if you know a trusting pharmacist ask them, they should know robotussin withdrew their DXM only cough medicine (DM or DX? i cant remember but figure it DX from your post BZ) from certain localities, including newcastle but not sydney?, about 4 months ago.

id make the doco with gaps, wait till illegal, then fill the doco gaps and release.

Edited by Amulte

its alredy happening, give it 6-8 months and it will be illegal. if you know a trusting pharmacist ask them, they should know robotussin withdrew their DXM only cough medicine (DM or DX? i cant remember but figure it DX from your post BZ) from certain localities, including newcastle but not sydney?, about 4 months ago.

id make the doco with gaps, wait till illegal, then fill the doco gaps and release.

I hope you're wrong, but if you're right, it WOULD be good timing to release it just as they ban it.

I think a doco would be a great idea.

I always found dissociatives fascinating, we seem to employ a lot of them for reasons other than their psychoactive ones. Nitrous has several uses, ketamine is a tranquilizer and there’s DXM too.

I hate to tell you guys, but the NDPSC is considering rescheduling DXM next meeting. Most likely they will put it in schedule 4, which means prescription-only dxm dry-cough medications could be just 9 months away. Buy up big. See the current pre notice gazette.

Yeah stock up.... its somehow not a form of fun I could get into on a repeated basis (a lot of time spent thinking what was that? what was that while i was asking what was that? what was that when i was asking what was that while asking...ah you get the idea... ) though the few times I tried it, I was oddly better at maths for a week or so afterwards (this was noticed by disinterested observers before it occurred to me). From memory I concluded something like " if you could make a spirit of rotten mushies, this would be it". Direct from the Mines of Thorbardin to you :D (one for you, IB). the flanging thing I had non stop past a point, and my skin would swing between highly sensitised and "dead meat". CEV's were usually of the more... aimless kind of interaction with luminous geometric blobs, but if you unfocused your brain (like those magic eye pics?) you'd end up on the other side of the shapes and forms, stuck for a while in some crazy little mini adventure. My body always processed the intake and the experience as a very natural thing, no resistance, biteback or feedback as such... more a State Achieved, than a Work In Progress like other things. Still, it seemed like fairly harmless fun, and most people would spew or poo their pants before things got to out of hand. A couple people got carried away with it for a while, but they were the people that get carried away with everything for a while, given half a chance and some spare time. I can see why people would worry about kids doing insane doses, people drinking it and driving around, etc.. but lets face it most people get their first chems from mummies medicine cabinet and it'll still be in there anyway, s4 or not. The chemical kids seem to be having the hardest time with now is speed, and it's not like that's an s2, or something you find in woolies. Restriction and availability really don't seem all that connected in any way other than pricing and safety.

Still, it's THE shit for dry persistent reflex coughs..they can really only give you that, or some crazy kind of codeine (mmm, rikodeine... raspberry be thy name), no matter where they end up scheduling it, moving it, etc.

Around Brissie back in the day it was known that certain pharmacists simply wouldn't give DX to anyone that looked a bit too entertaining... chemists are not entirely stupid people. Though we had a good chuckle here last week, I picked up a flu and when my girls very kindly dropped by a chemist with an order for "a big bottle of demazin with the sleeper in it" the staff spent 10 minutes trying to talk her into a pack of pseudo 60's :lol: whereas if my hairy, overly comfortable self wandered into the same shop with the Mother of all Runny Noses, they'd have tried to give me... wait for it...can you guess.... DEMAZIN SYRUP WITH THE SLEEPER! Least we know young mums with charming daughters can get all the goodies they want though.

Silly stuff. Go buy a bottle of rum big enough to kill yourself, it'll make you feel better.

VM