The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Catha edulis Question

Hey people.

A question I've been wondering for a while - I have a khat growing and the main stem just droops all over the place, whilst there are loads of suckers. I want this thing to end up a nice little shrub so my question is: Should I cut off the suckers to direct the energy to the main stem and stake the thing up for a while so it can learn to stand on it's own???

They tend to be pretty raggedy and all over the place in their growth habits, more prostrate at a young stage and becoming more like a shrub when they harden up! Propogation by suckers is always good, pull them up and seperate to form a hedge which will ultimately support upright growth. The narrow leaf is more impressive in terms of height and overall density.

So no staking???

Oh you wanted an answer :P

Sure, will provide support until it gets fat enough to support it's own biomass!

I have one that grew a lot through summer and its the same deal. It has really big leaves at the top and when it gets watered it flops over, so I staked it and its sweet now.

I would love to see some peoples pics of their Khat. I will post a pic of mine if I get the time.

Mines got loads of suckers too and its about 1.5m, beautiful new leaves :)

They seem to like this time of year and go through a growth spurt after all the heat and prior to dormancy.

can someone tell me if there's any difference in potency of white leaf khat and red leaf khat?