The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Slybacon

NSW Solar Scheme , 300 megawatt Cap

13 January 2011

Solar bonus applicants urged to consider all their options

Applications to join the NSW Government’s Solar Bonus Scheme have now passed 300 megawatts.

Mark Duffy, Deputy Director-General of Industry & Investment NSW, said that the latest information received from the NSW electricity distributors demonstrated the Government’s updated scheme continued to be popular with consumers.

“The latest reports indicate that applications have reached the 300 megawatt mark. If all those applications proceed to connected installations it means we will reach the cap that passed through Parliament late last year,” Mr Duffy said.

“Under the updated rules passed by the NSW Parliament, once 300 megawatts of solar capacity is connected to the grid, the Minister for Energy may close the Scheme.

“The NSW Parliament has set a cap in NSW that is far more generous than any other jurisdiction in the country and the Government is committed to keeping the Scheme within the 300 megawatt cap.

“We know that not all the applications made will result in connections – some customers may choose not to proceed and some applications may not meet the eligibility criteria,” he said.

“Whilst it is too early to know exactly when or whether 300 megawatts of capacity will be connected, the potential for the cap to be reached must be factored in by prospective customers and installers and that is why we are updating the public about the status of applications.”

“If consumers are concerned about their application, they should contact their installer to ascertain the terms of their contract and to check if any deposit they have paid is fully refundable,” Mr Duffy said.

Once the Scheme cap is reached customers will still be able to connect small scale renewable energy generators to the grid, but will not be eligible to receive bonus payments under the NSW Solar Bonus Scheme.

Customers who are already connected will continue to receive tariff payments under the Scheme.

…/2

The NSW Government has spoken to the Clean Energy Council, the peak body that accredits solar panel installers under the Scheme, and encouraged the Council to communicate to its members that offering refundable deposits is an appropriate measure.

“In light of the capacity of existing applications, I would encourage households and businesses wishing to connect solar panels under the Scheme to request refundable deposits from their installer.

“Based on the information we have received, we expect over 130,000 customers to be participating in the Solar Bonus Scheme if existing applications proceed to connection.

“This demonstrates that the modified scheme has continued supporting households and businesses who wish to generate renewable energy,” Mr Duffy said.

Installing rooftop solar panels is one of the many ways households and businesses can reduce their carbon footprint and save money over time in energy use. Consumers need to take into account many factors, including the Solar Bonus Scheme, in deciding whether or not solar panels are right for them.

Industry & Investment NSW will be providing regular updates on its website www.industry.nsw.gov.au/energy about both the connected capacity of the Scheme and the capacity of applications received.

Customers who are considering purchasing solar panels are encouraged to check the website for up to date information.

The Solar Bonus Scheme tariff payment is not the only support for customers with solar panels. Generous upfront financial payments are available through the Commonwealth’s Renewable Energy Target Scheme.

Customers are still able to connect their systems and choose net metering to help reduce their electricity bills.

A number of retailers offer payments for the electricity exported to the grid by small scale renewable energy generators. These offers are separate to the Solar Bonus Scheme.

The changes introduced by the Government following the Scheme’s review in October helped to reduce the costs of the Scheme, keeping electricity bills down for all consumers.

Further information is available on the Industry & Investment NSW website at

www.industry.nsw.gov.au/energy/sustainable/renewable/solar/solar-scheme

Cheers Slybacon

sorta makes me wish i took the offer when they were in town last year

for a measly $100 i could have taken advantage of this, the only catch was i had to pay to hook it to the grid

It shits me when they put limits on solar & water Schemes, usually people with a good salary jump in first

so its the people who cant afford it at the time & would benefit the most who miss out in the end

Edited by mac

Cheers Slybacon

sorta makes me wish i took the offer when they were in town last year

for a measly $100 i could have taken advantage of this, the only catch was i had to pay to hook it to the grid

It shits me when they put limits on solar & water Schemes, usually people with a good salary jump in first

so its the people who cant afford it at the time & would benefit the most who miss out in the end

Dude .... Don't fear

There are still Renewable Energy Certificates (REC) that are generated and multiplied 5X when you purchase a solar PV grid connect5 system. The sun may be setting on the solar bonus scheme but it doesn't make solar power less viable. You will still have the option to go on NET metering, and as long as you can produce more kW/H then what your using you can offset your self against the rising cost of energy.

I recommend you all get solar power whilst the Govt is still paying for up to 60% of the gear, the "Solar Credits" multiplier is set to reduce in june so you don't have long left. Don't worry about the tariff NET will become viable.

Be wary of all of these "schemes" people. I haven't heard anything good about any of them.

Whats not good about the Federal Govt paying up to 60% of your solar installation?

What bad things have you heard?

I can't see how putting solar panels on 107 000 rooftops is a bad thing.

Wind turbines are only suitable for a very small number of sites, and rarely residential areas in Australias cities (where most of the population is located). Solar panels may be expensive, but clearly a decentralised power network with each house producing power is the way to go. Just imagine the reductions in both powerline infrastructure cost and reductions in energy loss we could achieve if we did not have to transport power over such vast distances from power station to city. A good idea would be small solar-thermal plants every suburb or two to supplement this also.

How is it a bad thing that they broadened the eligibility for the rebates? It encourages more people to adopt the technology. I wonder how many houses earning under $100K per year actually took up the offer, compared to the amount of >$100K per year who can more easily afford it? How is it a bad thing that more roofs now have panels?

If you read past the first 3 post by the conspiracy theorists, you will see post after post by happy people who have drastically cut electricity bill because they now have panels.

I think we have to look at the big picture here. Yes the rich are more able to afford the technology, but unless more and more people are purchasing panels then the cost will not be driven down. No the goverment scheme is not perfect but what is? What would you do? I see the point about the money going offshore, one suggestion I would make would be to offer a more significant rebate for australia made panels. Do we even assemble any here? As far as I know we don't process silicon.

Doing ANYTHING has got to be better than doing nothing.

• Like 1

I can't see how putting solar panels on 107 000 rooftops is a bad thing.

I can't see how you can ignore all of the points in the article...

Wind turbines are only suitable for a very small number of sites, and rarely residential areas in Australias cities (where most of the population is located).

Why, because residential areas don't get any wind? What are you talking about?

Solar panels may be expensive, but clearly a decentralised power network with each house producing power is the way to go. Just imagine the reductions in both powerline infrastructure cost and reductions in energy loss we could achieve if we did not have to transport power over such vast distances from power station to city. A good idea would be small solar-thermal plants every suburb or two to supplement this also.

Sorry, but since when was decentralization a part of the government's energy plans?

How is it a bad thing that they broadened the eligibility for the rebates?

Read the article and you might find out!

How is it a bad thing that more roofs now have panels?

How is it a good thing that people are asking the government for free energy?

If you read past the first 3 post by the conspiracy theorists, you will see post after post by happy people who have drastically cut electricity bill because they now have panels.

Not exactly, but I'll give you a prize anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV1lZMTCqf8

• Like 2

Awww, thanks brother, you're too kind :wub:

I just thought I'd add, that we made over $200 last quarter and expect the system to have paid for itself a year sooner then predicted.

When the cost of energy goes up syncro you'll be spewing you didn't connect while you could. There is definetly some cowboys in the solar industry but I can assure you if you do your homework and don't rush into things you won't be ripped off.

Edited by Slybacon

Who says that I'm not going to get solar? I'm just not going to get solar through the government is all.

Hardly encouraging news for people in NSW who may want to add to their current installs.

If you increase the size of your install, you drop from the generous 60c rate to 20c gross feed in tariff for all of the install. And I doubt too many will even start new installs at 20c GFIT.

http://www.ata.org.au/forums/topic/solar-modules-prices

Who says that I'm not going to get solar? I'm just not going to get solar through the government is all.

http://www.ata.org.au/forums/topic/solar-modules-prices

Dude you have it so wrong..... The government offers REC that your system generated, you sell these at market value to get a rebate..... Your telling me you'd rather pay $9500 or $3000.....

I'm not sure what you think the catch is???? As you know I have a pretty alternative opinion so Im not trying to give u the bum steer....

EDIT>

who cares what the tariff is.... If you go NET it doesn't matter, you just cancel out your bills.

Edited by Slybacon

Dude you have it so wrong..... The government offers REC that your system generated, you sell these at market value to get a rebate..... Your telling me you'd rather pay $9500 or $3000.....

I'm not sure what you think the catch is???? As you know I have a pretty alternative opinion so Im not trying to give u the bum steer....

EDIT>

who cares what the tariff is.... If you go NET it doesn't matter, you just cancel out your bills.

I used to think solar power was only a feelgood measure available to people who had a spare $10,000. Then I looked into it, something I should have done years ago.

Anyway I just had 1.5kW of solar panels + inverter installed. It's giving me 8 to 9 kWhs per day. The cost was $9190 less $6200 for the RECs. So I pay $2990. BUT it is in interest free installments over two years. The installments come to one $299 deposit then monthly payments of $112.12 over two years. Given the savings on the power bills I'll hardly feel it.

What's more, whenever the meter is running backwards - which is any day the A/C is off - I can sell the surplus electricity back to Synergy for 47c a kWh, which is more than they charge me! They are happy because they get my solar power through the summer daytime peak demand period.

Anyway, if the conspiracy theorists want to pay more for their electicity forever, let them. Let them drive gas guzzlers too, if that is their way of standing up to the threat of global communism. As long as they don't want their power bills subsidised by my taxes and they don't whinge about the cost of petrol, who cares?

• Like 1

cristop where did you get that deal ??

anyone know where to start in s.a ??

Stitched up, $3K for 1.5 KW (after selling RECs) seems to be the going rate at the moment, at least in NSW. I like the idea of interest free payments! At $112 per month that almost exactly matches our average bill of $350 per quarter.

Wish I'd jumped on the bandwagon 3 (?) years ago and participated in the community group buy organised by Climate Action Newcastle. $1000 for a 1KW system! SOOOOO many houses in Newcastle have solar now. And some of the arrays are considerably more than the usual 6 or 9 panels.

Anyway, if the conspiracy theorists want to pay more for their electicity forever, let them.

Yeah, because governments never conspire, do they... No, they just politic instead... :BANGHEAD2: