The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
No_One

Political Passivity

Has anyone noticed and thought about the prevalance of political indolence among your average citizen?

Whinging about politicians and politics seems to be a popular thing to do but in my experience no-one ever does anything to remedy what they whinge about.

Politicians seem to just have a free reign and do whatever they like with little resistance from the people they govern.

What do you think causes people to be inactive in political processes?

Share what you think....

If you throw a frog in boiling water he will quickly jump out, but put a frog in a pan of cold water and slowly raise the temperature, before he knows it, he is cooked.

no one really gives a fuck!

sad but true...

A Nation of "Idiots"?

Declining to take part in public life, such as democratic government of the polis (city state), such as the Athenian democracy, was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters.

Maybe it's 2 sides ov the same coin?

There's just enough politically active folk to keep the politicians from being totally corrupt & not quite enough to cause real change.

It seems that it's young folk who are the most politically active/idealist/naive.

Maybe older folk are politically aware enough to whinge but have become apathetic because nothing ever seems to really change.

Maybe they think that living a good life while cultivating honest, caring & truthful relationships w/the people around you is a more fulfilling & positive political action than signing another angry petition, turning up for another violent demo or lobbing a brick at some greedy corrupt lying politician...

"one of the penalties in refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

i wish it was just a matter of entering politics to instigate the ideals you may think will improve it for everyone. the 'nation state' format does not work in favour of the majority, as much as it does for the empires that control them. such an umbrella system can not cater for all, demolish it and let communities run themselves, it worked many years ago and could work now. that alone would engage a larger part of the community to be involved in its political processes.

politics is corrupt and shares a bed with big business. look at peter garrett having to shit on his morales to achieve little wins. not to mention the debacle of US politics/big business raping the planet and torturing millions.

its hard to quantify the influence but civil society does pick up a lot of the slack, and you don't have to associate with wankers!

democracy is the shell of a fascist egg.

"if the people lead the leaders will follow."

Edited by Korky

I find the indifference amoungst people very worrying. That and their interest and support for ideals and laws that will eventually add to the restriction of our freedoms.

What demographic had the largest majority in this country? Family, Mum and Dad and the 2.5 kids? (I'm not sure, just an example) But if the pollies keep the sort of issues parents are most likely to be concerned about in the spot light, then this would free them up to pass the less popular laws and make decisions quietly without causing much fuss. Make sense? But the again, it's not like an elder generation would switch off to the more touchy political current affairs. So that makes me think that maybe a lot of people become more conservative with age. Or maybe it's their focus switches from trying to influence politics to looking after kids or a career?

In the past it's seemed like if a politicain fucks up badly then people react (which means the other fuck stick gets into power. It's also very concerning that only TWO parties have the majority of the balance with some christian nut in the middle deciding the vote. But that's a different discussion :BANGHEAD2:

Good post No_one, i was actually going to post a thread exactly the same as this one lol.

cheers

Voodoo Politics?

Christians deciding the vote?

Haters getting played?

Your right about not giving a fuck...fodder for the fools...burn it up...cash money money...

There is now the very real threat of being thrown in a cage for a prolonged period without any outside contact for pursuing any antisocial or dissident actions towards our leaders, I don't think that helps.

Appeal to the majority and you have the game won at both ends..simple. Slow cooking frogs is us and our old allowances being evaporated off slowly but surely.

I assume as warm blooded idealist humans that we can only be pushed so far though, before we all act as one and stand up and make some serious noise...the slow squeeze or cook is were it's at for the puppet masters though...it works much better in their favor. By the time if it comes..when they have pushed or taken stuff too far there will be laws or rules and enough justice officers and ammunition in place that will round us up very quickly for detention.

The current tool of persuasion or secret ingredient in the slow cook is, "save the children" and it's a stroke of genius and makes for a very long slow cook with no chance for escape for a long time.

It's like scrabble when you have the Q & Z & X left, and there is nowhere to put them cause other small minded types have squeezed you out by applying silly small short words that stuff up any real creative flow for you, it's all within rules so they can do it as much as they like as many times over and over until you blow and flip the board over in favor of a stiff pipe of something or other which leaves you alienated and frustrated.

I like in southland tales how they disband the police force and re-create it as UPU.... urban pacification unit :lol: