The Corroboree
mac

Nicotiana glauca - Tree Tobacco

Nicotiana glauca - Tree Tobacco

Nicotiana glauca - also called Tree Tobacco, Mustard Tree or Brazilian Tree Tobacco - was considered the most powerful of the Nicotiana species. It originates from Bolivia and Argentina and grows nowadays also in the southwestern United States.

Nicotiana glauca seeds and foliageare known for their entheotic powers or sometimes smoked during Ayahuasca ceremonies or made into a brew.

Like all of the Nicotiana, it was used for many medical treatments. Today, Nicotiana glauca is being studied to be used as a treatment for nicotine addiction since it does not contain nicotine. Instead, it’s active ingredient is anabasine.

Tree Tobacco smoke was thought to be sacred and purifying, and tobacco was often burned to purify and protect, even when it was not inhaled. info from http://shamangarden.tatriblogs.com/page/2

. The hallucinogenic properties were believed to be more powerful and, like all of the Nicotiana, it was used for many medical treatments. quote from http://www.everyherbal.com/tobacco.htm

listed in Australian Poisonous Plants Toxicity Rating has had deaths recorded and/or cause severe reactions

any information on the use of Nicotiana glauca use etc ..

this is the most info i have found after many hours searching, besides mention of the Central Australian Pitjantjatjara chew

South American tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca), but no mention what effect toxicity it has ? etc.

the wiki link for Anabasine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasine if someone can explain the Pharmacology in layman terms

i understand that Anabasine or Pyridine killed mice as a lethal injection by stopping their heart but not accurate for shaman or Ethnobotanical use

also from wiki

Pyridine The LD50 in rats (oral) is 891 mg kg–1. It is volatile and can be absorbed through skin. Available data indicate that "exposure to pyridine in drinking-water led to reduction of sperm motility at all dose levels in mice and increased estrous cycle length at the highest dose level in rats".[11] Currently its evaluations as a possible carcinogenic agent showed there is inadequate evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of pyridine, albeit there is limited evidence of carcinogenic effects on animals.

so can anyone help with other info, historical or modern day use of Nicotiana glauca

thanks

Edited by mac

micromega showed it to me,a weed here.very attractive shrub imo.

holding it ,it 'feels' good,nice even, similar to piturii......i'm very tempted.......

t s t .

yes most people here (loally) treat it as a weed

i do have one consumption Bioassay that was passed on to me via email from a acquaintance i got some papaver seed from

im still unsure of any toxicity as i don't know the guy personally

unsure what effects resulted this is what info i did get

N. Glauca, a small hand full of leaves is a good dose but the drug is very different than many others, may take 2 days to wear off.usual 16 to 26 hours though.

The flowers are more potent than the leaves, the green seed pods are more potent the flowers.

They each feel different, and the leaves are mild but last the longest.

i don't have much info on this subject, what i do have was passed on via email & would not suggest anyone try this for themselves unless they have researched this species just putting this info up for anyone interested

Edited by mac

N. Glauca, a small hand full of leaves is a good dose but the drug is very different than many others, may take 2 days to wear off.usual 16 to 26 hours though.
listed in Australian Poisonous Plants Toxicity Rating has had deaths recorded and/or cause severe reactions

Some interesting research you've dug up there mac, esp. about the brew or with ayahuasca... however... I'll leave this one to you I think tantra