The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

Collecting khat seed

I have a narrow leaf khat absolutely laden with flowers which will open soon, just wondering what people here think will be the best method for collecting the fresh seed? Thanks :)

• Like 1

Also interested

Maybe old stockings? I've used those plastic chaff bags before but the seeds dropped off immature I think air flow is important. This khat tree is HEAVY with flower pods.

I think I've seen someone around here refer to stockings for the job

• Like 1

my green khat is also flowering, so it can self pollinate i assume?

think there is one in a botanical gardens down south that flowers like mad and drops millions of seed, so any southerners it may be a good time to visit and check out the gardens!

Wait until the seedpods are nice and ripe and some of them are beginning to open, shedding (dehiscing) their seeds.

Cut off the branches that hold the seedpods, approx 30cm long and remove most of the leaves. Tie these short branches in bunches of 5 -10, put them in large paper bags with just the cut-ends protruding, and hang them up in a cool airy place like a garage for a couple weeks.

Give the bags a shake every couple days and pour the dry seeds and pods into an open dish to finish drying fully before storage in a dry, cool, dark place.

And don't forget the mandatory free seed giveaway for all yr SAB buds :)

• Like 4

ThAnks, sure I'll share some around :)

yep, I am doing a very similar thing as halcyon suggests.

the stocking method never worked for me, as one would have to use too many stockings...

Anything for a sandor clegane fan:)

I just cut off all the branches with seedpods at the stage halcyon suggests. But I just dried them all out on a table and then put in a big rubber maid tub and shake. They all gather at the bottom. For cleaning and separating I reckon static could work well if you could control it appropriately.

Still a long time to go flowers haven't opened yet