The Corroboree
mesq

Shotgun fruiting chamber

Going to be doing up some jars soon for my first grow in many years... Probably going to do my first grow or two with cakes/casings and SGFC...

Was looking at storage containers and saw this one at bunnings...

http://www.bunnings.com.au/storage-basket-sterilite-406x333x254mm-ex-lge-wht-1628_p2590092

Kinda like the whole pre drilled thing, was just going to put glad wrap over the top...

Yeah, nah??

Might have to tape up a bit of the bottom so water doesn't leak out though..

I cant imagine the holes bring on the bottom hey... Great find btw, I'm gonna see if my local has them. Even if you used glad wrap in bands around it blocking half the holes, it looks like a great easy setup

Edit; dimensions look a bit small...

Edited by prioritise

just buy a plastic tub with a lid and drill the holes yourself would be a much better idea

and you do want holes in the bottom to you dont want water sitting in the bottom

• Like 1

Why would it be a better idea? Pricewise? Why would I go around drilling holes in a perfectly fine box when there is one pre made?

I probably will just get a regular storage tub which is about a third of the price... cost and size are the reasons why I wouldn't buy this... hoping to do around 24 cakes first round.

Edited by mesq

Aaaand on second thoughts I will just stick to the tek :) for now.

Edited by mesq

umm right :scratchhead: wateva mate

you wont get any more advice outta me

Personally I think something like that might work for oysters but you might struggle to maintain humidity with so much air exchange. I've had most success (if using lofi systems) of plastic containers with no holes, glad wrap over the top and three to five hand fans a day myself

But then again I may have just ruined an entire plate library by introducing a wild clone full of fucking mites so what would I know lol

• Like 1

umm right :scratchhead: wateva mate

you wont get any more advice outta me

Kind of a defensive response... I merely said that I was going to stick to the tek... as you advised!

I also asked for your opinion on why you think the container I posted would be a no go.

After considering what you said i decided to stick with the tek and get a tub and drill holes.in it.

But i would gladly not ask your advice again if it means this is how u respond lol

Personally I think something like that might work for oysters but you might struggle to maintain humidity with so much air exchange. I've had most success (if using lofi systems) of plastic containers with no holes, glad wrap over the top and three to five hand fans a day myself

When I first did pftek if was with no holes and fanning regularly and I had.no problems... but Sgfc seems to be the popular method these days

I worry about all the holes in SGFC Lately I can get a first flush clean then pretty much the whole thing turns green on me.

Heartbreaking.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Kind of a defensive response... I merely said that I was going to stick to the tek... as you advised!

I also asked for your opinion on why you think the container I posted would be a no go.

After considering what you said i decided to stick with the tek and get a tub and drill holes.in it.

But i would gladly not ask your advice again if it means this is how u respond lol

probably was a kinda defensive response i do apolagise

yesterday was not a good day for me

i guess the way you questioned it came across a little more like why would i bother as if you knew better when you were asking advice

then you went with my idea anyway i was confused

i dunno dude i cant think clearly had a real shitty couple of days ya know just ignore my comment

my arguments as to not using that would be there are far to many holes in it and theyre big holes keeping up humidity would be almost impossible

its white so the only light getting in there is going to be from the holes

and it has no lid you dont wanna be fuckin around with some glad wrap lid

buy a clear storage tub drill a shitload of holes in all sides including top and bottom and your done

that thing would be more work than drilling holes in a tub

so yeh thats just my 2 cents and again sorry for being a rude prick :)

• Like 4

I worry about all the holes in SGFC Lately I can get a first flush clean then pretty much the whole thing turns green on me.

Heartbreaking.

First post! ;) hi.

My guess is they were not fully colonised when you went to birth too early. After the first flush and weakened mycelium, the green had a field day.

• Like 1

it could also be due to not enough air exchange

although the many holes in a shotgun terrarium allow for good air flow

you should still take the lid of atleast once or twice a day and give it a really good fanning with the lid

i've had up to 5 and 6 good flushes with nothing but BRF cakes in a shotgun terrarium

• Like 1

BRF tek all the way,, simplest and very effective!

Get on YouTube > lets grow mushrooms pf tek 1,2,3 & 4 > reap the harvest ;-)

One thing with the shotgun is that it seems some species struggle more to pin from the extra air exchange in guessing?

Heartbreaking.

First post! ;) hi.

My guess is they were not fully colonised when you went to birth too early. After the first flush and weakened mycelium, the green had a field day.

I'd look to include a little lime the substrate. I haven't 'proven' it to be beneficial but it seems to help my grows. Then again the lime I use isn't the pH altering kind.

Do you take the blocks out of the SGFC between flushes? Sometimes drying the surface can keep mold at bay. Take it our for a day or so and then rehydrate either with a brief (hour or so) submerge in water or spray the surface more regularly. You could put 1% of bleach in your spray water too.

probably was a kinda defensive response i do apolagise

yesterday was not a good day for me

i guess the way you questioned it came across a little more like why would i bother as if you knew better when you were asking advice

then you went with my idea anyway i was confused

i dunno dude i cant think clearly had a real shitty couple of days ya know just ignore my comment

my arguments as to not using that would be there are far to many holes in it and theyre big holes keeping up humidity would be almost impossible

its white so the only light getting in there is going to be from the holes

and it has no lid you dont wanna be fuckin around with some glad wrap lid

buy a clear storage tub drill a shitload of holes in all sides including top and bottom and your done

that thing would be more work than drilling holes in a tub

so yeh thats just my 2 cents and again sorry for being a rude prick :)

I'm not a SGFC pro but don't guys cut fewer but larger holes that they fill with polyfill, so they 'filter' the air going into the FC?

6 or so big holes filled with polyfill sounds more like a monotub setup. SGFC has lots of 6mm holes every 50mm apart on all 6 sides and a thick layer of soaked perlite.

Expanding cakes or spawn into a 50/50 'pasturised' mix of verm and coir will greatly increase yeilds and flush size.

Layer spawn and 50/50 mix, bouta inch thick for each layer untill bucket is 1/4 full, start with the coir/verm mix and end with the coir/verm mix, with 3 layers of spawn for best results.

Use new 80c plastic buckets, cover the top with a few layers of plastic film, add some holes for FAE n cover the holes with pore tape or similiar.

Use a lge lakky or some tape to keep the plastic wrap tightly sealed to the bucket, black buckets r best.

Put the whole thing ina clean black rubbish bag to 'colonise', ensure the bucket is fully in the dark.

Check it in 2 weeks, wen primordia appear take the rubbish bag off to increase FAE and light.

The change in conditions will ensure a good pinset.

Works best in 25 degree plus conditions though works well ina artificially heated environment as well.

As the pins develop keep an eye on the caps, FAE and moisture can be controlled by tearing a hole in the platic film.

A flouro light 1m above your fruiting buckets will make your mush grow true and strong :)

This method requires no misting or fanning n is bastardised from a number of different tecs.

Full creds go to-

Damiens 50/50 coir/verm tec

Otto's bucket tec

Wasa mono tub n cake fan........now its buckets all the way :)

• Like 2

I reckon shower caps from reject shop would be better than a lacky and cling wrap :)

Ottos tec uses shower caps.

Cling wrap is in most kitchens.

If they were dark coloured or non see through shower caps it might then mean the rubbish bag to cover it all may not be needed.

• Like 1

I'll be giving that idea a go thanks Pimento,, and I'm thinking it would be a great way to introduce the cultures to outdoor locations when colonised,, what's ur thoughts? Also, are there any types of coir to avoid,, I have read some have high salt content left in them from lazy flushing/rinsing....