The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Viable betel nuts NOW!!

I have about 30 viable betel nuts (still in shell) available right now. International shipping is possible.

5 nuts AU$20 (domestic) or AU$25/US$15 (incl shipping).

e-mail me now

[email protected]

Mmm, I'll pass thanx wink.gif

LOL. Not everyone 'wants' to eat them wink.gif

These are actually intended for goring, as seed for this species is very rarely available.

keep some aside for me

i'll send u some money as soon as i gather some

thanks

spike

spike, they are only fresh for as long as the fibrous coat doesn't decompose. No problem once they get in the mail as they will be in sphagnum moss, but don't know how long they will be OK sitting around here.

e-mail me!

hi, all

jep,far less money than a meal out.

i order, millions do it.. its less

harmfull (betel chewing)than any

known habitual drug...bla bla

cod me ok.

bye, wolfgang

so torsten to ship the 5 seeds over here is 15 usd???

will the seeds still be alive in like 3 weeks (a week or two to get the money and another till it gets' there)??

let me know

Its true that it is hard to find viable seed for this species in most parts of Australia. They are usually available in Far North Queensland though. Torsten, if you want some more stock, I'll have a look at the markets this weekend. They are usually around 50 cents to 1 dollar AU each and generally fresh (though you have to make sure they haven't been frozen. Some people will lie to you about this so you have to use your instincts.) I think Gem knows the whereabouts of a mature plant that was dropping the nuts all over the place. I've been told that germination of Areca spp. is accellerated by removal of the husk and that a simple method for doing this is to ferment the husks off in a tub of water. I tried doing this, but it was taking ages and ages for the husk to come off. I'd have to agree that they'll remain viable for at least as long as it takes for the husk to break down. Otherwise, how would the seedling escape the fruit with a fully intact husk surrounding it? Hmmmm... yeah i'm also not sure how long they'll remain viable if they dry out.

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 07 July 2002).]

thanks fractal.

I got my seed from up there and was hoping to set up a steady trade with gem, but she isn't answering e-mails at the moment .....

If you get the ripe. yellow ones then the skin is easy to ferment off. The green ones are difficult. however the green ones keep for a lot longer and are certainly viable.

I believe that the fermentation is better than peeling as this stimulates germination. However for international shipping it would be best to use greener ones as they won't rot.

Spike - e-mail me.

Originally posted by Torsten:

thanks fractal.

I got my seed from up there and was hoping to set up a steady trade with gem, but she isn't answering e-mails at the moment .....

Hmpf! You *know* I've been busy Torsten ; )

Yeah, no worries re a steady supply of betel - how would you like them packaged down to Byron to you?

Originally posted by Gem:

Hmpf!

Don't speak with your mouth full wink.gif

You *know* I've been busy Torsten ; )

he, he, yes, I know. But I only found out when you FINALLY e-mailed me last week wink.gif

Yeah, no worries re a steady supply of betel - how would you like them packaged down to Byron to you?

Just hang on for a little while. They are not exactly popular wink.gif I have to do a little promotion for them first ..... anyway, I wouldn't want to distract you from your busy schedule just yet wink.gif