The Corroboree
AchumaMatata

Unknown Hybrids

I’d like to hear your opinion on labeling and keeping track for unknown hybrids that will be eventually available for trade.

there are fourty unknown seed grown hybrids in this collection that I have labeled  with initials and numbers just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this system and any suggestions on ways to improve it if necessary.

8346F7BC-A9F5-43B5-A01D-1DA5867C4FFF.jpeg

8346F7BC-A9F5-43B5-A01D-1DA5867C4FFF.thumb.jpeg.aea7ecc299ee11cfe6ffa9e87d337406.jpeg

8346F7BC-A9F5-43B5-A01D-1DA5867C4FFF.thumb.jpeg.aea7ecc299ee11cfe6ffa9e87d337406.jpeg

Edited by AchumaMatata
Can’t figure out how to attach the photo :(
  • Like 1

Depends on how many crosses these were raised from. Normally, you´d write the parents of the cross on the label and assign a number for every seedling grown from that cross, eg Trichocereus pachanoi x Trichocereus bridgesii "Psycho0"-1, Trichocereus pachanoi x Trichocereus bridgesii "Psycho0"-2 and so on. If this is a mix of various hybrids where the labels are lost you could just assign one name to the collection, eg Unknown Hybrids Collection-1, Unknown Hybrids Collection-2 etc. Personally, I feel like it´s extremely important to keep track of the parents of a cross and these days I try very hard not to lose any labels. It still happens every now and then to me too. But yeah, I feel like you got a mix here and when you assign one name to all it´s kinda problematic because the plants will eventually vary greatly. It would take close inspections of every single plant to guess the parents and in most cases it doesnt work anyways. Some parents are not visible in the body, which is why you often don´t even see a recessive father for example. In such cases, Hybrids can look like a botanically pure species and that happens quite a lot.

• Like 1

perhaps if you knew the source of your seeds the vendor may have records of what the hybrids were to begin with...

were the seeds hybrids to begin with or were the seeds all open pollinated??

• Like 1

Mystery Mix 2016! 50 seeds $3.00. LOPHOPHORA Mischung-mixed  (9366). TRICHOCEREUS Mischung  (1803) 

70.1 Astrophytum capricorne  myriostigma ornatum senile, all hybrid mix, weirdos 

And mixes like that will definitely keep you wondering. Just doing a"control find" on one vendors page brought up over 25 different instances of mixes.

My thoughts on the subject are there are purists who want to know the exact locality, subspecies, etc. and who would frown on any mixing of the species. 

Then on the opposite end of the spectrum you have some who don't care what the lineage is so long as it looks beautiful and presents some nice eye candy or some other trait the grower likes. 

To top that off, you have open pollinated seeds being sold from collectors who have many different possible species/hybrids that could have pollinated them further make things difficult to label depending on how much of a purist one might be.

My rule of thumb, I only keep what I like.

You might want to try labeling according to the source and the year acquired if nothing else.

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 1

Thanks heaps for your insight fellas i appreciate it a lot.

i bought the seedlings off eBay about 7 years ago and have no details about the seller accessible on my eBay unfortunately. I remember they came from nsw Australia around Sydney or Newcastle area and where grown on someone’s veranda of an apartment.

i paid $250 dollars for about 70 tiny seedlings and that’s about all I remember 

when I moved houses the labels where removed from the pots unfortunately and some misplaced  :( 

I still have some of the labels here but I’m unsure what belongs to what so rather then guessing and making assumptions and possible mistakes I wanted to lable them in a way without falsified naming but also being able to keep track of them.

Some of the labels I still have include:

icaro ( assume op)

rosie # 1 ( assume Op)

ss02 x bridgisii 

Bridgisii x ss02

super Pedro x psyco0

super Pedro x j3

Ss02 x Juul’s 

juuls x scop

Edited by AchumaMatata
  • Like 1