The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bℓσωηG

How genetics is reshaping the marijuana industry

If only they did genetic modification to cacti and other curious plants.

Why aren't you?

isn't there a lot of messing with cacti genes going on here?

Its the cool stuff I'd like to introduce...like "The gene encoding green fluorescent protein (GFP) ...... originally isolated from Aequora victoria, a bioluminescent jellyfish"..(ace do you need a ref for that? :) )

glow in the dark trichs................imagine a grove of them under some big gums....all fluorescent green in the dark of night...trippy...

Some blue fluorescent trich's would be like something from avatar.

& if you were somehow to accidentally internalise some...you'd pee fluorescent....rainbows... :scratchhead:

Edited by Dreamwalker.
  • Like 2

GFP is pretty commonly used.
To make the GFP glow without UV light you'd also need to incorporate the enzyme associated with the GFP in the jellyfish that can excite the GFP to make it fluoresce.
Good idea though but pretty damn complicated.

Would be better to probably take the genes of already known good cultivars so you can reproduce the traits in other species or cultivars that you desire.
You could begin to induce mutations such as crests and monstrose, pigmentation mutations and even spination pattern mutations.

That would be easier but still pretty heavy for people without a decent lab set up.

• Like 1

damn ...knew it seemed to easy....even alga such as Pyrocystis fusiformis...probably hasn't been sequenced...& even then you'd need to touch or shake the cacti up & down....cacti molestation....

Edited by Dreamwalker.

I have a BSc but not in genetics. I do plan on doing my MSc in biochemistry maybe I can take some genetics too. I have a good friend who studied it but mostly for trees and I am not sure they do genetic manipulations. I think they mostly study the lineages and do theoretical work st the moment.

Also I don't mean genetic manipulation through selective breeding. I mean the laboratory type of manipulation.

Edited by doxneed2c-me
  • Like 1

damn ...knew it seemed to easy....even alga such as Pyrocystis fusiformis...probably hasn't been sequenced...& even then you'd need to touch or shake the cacti up & down....cacti molestation....

I'd like to see this in some trees. Imagine all the leaves sparkling/glowing at night as the breeze blows through them...

• Like 1

yeah trees or weed...the leaves movement would cause the luminosity....good 1

they might work well in Chissies shamanic garden

Edited by Dreamwalker.