The Corroboree
gtarman

Cold-climate plants, entheogens and ethnobotanicals

Incarvellia sinensis should do ok. native to mountain tops it likes full sun, lots of water (but well draining) and cold dry conditions

• Like 1

...sinicuichi plants , (salicifolia and myrtifolia) like to brought indoors to overwinter from sept/oct here...

Indoors in zone 8? Is that because of all the rain?

Here, in zone 7a, I tried H. salicifolia straight in the ground. It barely survived the first winter and then died in the second. This last winter I couldnt justify bringing them in so I planted the Heimia pots and mulched them with tons of leaves and sprinkled soil on top. They survived the winter and grew without problem when I removed the leaves in spring, the H. myrtifolias sprung back to life a couple weeks quicker. I'll repeat the experiment this year.

...xhosa (silene cap')...

Seriously, how did that nickname ever catch on? Was it a vendor or something?

[Xhosa is the name of the ethnic group that uses that plant so thats like saying "I dont like the word 'Dates', from now on we'll call them 'Arabs'" :P ]

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 2

Indoors in zone 8? Is that because of all the rain?

Here, in zone 7a, I tried H. salicifolia straight in the ground. It barely survived the first winter and then died in the second. This last winter I couldnt justify bringing them in so I planted the Heimia pots and mulched them with tons of leaves and sprinkled soil on top. They survived the winter and grew without problem when I removed the leaves in spring, the H. myrtifolias sprung back to life a couple weeks quicker. I'll repeat the experiment this year.

Seriously, how did that nickname ever catch on? Was it a vendor or something?

[Xhosa is the name of the ethnic group that uses that plant so thats like saying "I dont like the word 'Dates', from now on we'll call them 'Arabs'" :P ]

goodness thanx Auxin i didnt know and yes was vendors labels lol mainly but a few write ups i trauled over the years also

and cool to know about the sinicuichi thankyou kindly but ...

it was a dark dark night on a dark dark minus 16 C in a dark dark winter outside a dark dark time ago

when i lost a sinicuichi i was trying outside (weep)

but it was only a little one maybe 10 inch rooted cutting i tried in the garden,...

too scared to put em out now and cant be losing my beautiful plant that along with peganum helped me see that i could do it

Well, I'm sure that depends on the listener.

I just find it odd.

This is what real xhosa looks like:

Nelson_Mandela.jpg

• Like 2