The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
magical9

Question about rooting stumps and pupping

So ive got some 50-60 6" center cuts of various bridgesii, peruvianus, pachanoi, scopulicola, etc I have them rooting right now in hopes of having them all pup and become my producers. Is there anything i need to keep an eye out for? anything i need to be sure i do to ensure these root fine and pup? Is pupping just luck of the draw or can i reasonably expect the majority of my stumps to pup by next season (2015) assuming they root this season? (they are in 5x5 pots atm but will be up-potted to 2gallon pots once rooted)

post-14335-0-52828800-1400685503_thumb.j

post-14335-0-30378700-1400685508_thumb.j

post-14335-0-08464700-1400685516_thumb.j

post-14335-0-45390000-1400685523_thumb.j

post-14335-0-52828800-1400685503_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-30378700-1400685508_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-08464700-1400685516_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-45390000-1400685523_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-52828800-1400685503_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-30378700-1400685508_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-08464700-1400685516_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-45390000-1400685523_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have had stumps pup before rooting and vise versa, depends on how much water is stored I'd guess.

Size of the stumps is another factor, larger cuts grow more/faster than small pieces.

I would think that you'll have roots and pups before next season easily.

Nice stumpage by the way :)

Edited by djmattz0r
  • Like 1

I have had stumps pup before rooting and vise versa, depends on how much water is stored I'd guess.

Size of the stumps is another factor, larger cuts grow more/faster than small pieces.

I would think that you'll have roots and pups before next season easily.

Nice stumpage by the way :)

thats great news :) thanks for the infroz. Also thats just a fraction of my stumpage! :)

• Like 1

Yeah you should be seeing growth this season I would guess. Especially in your climate. Nice L. schotii monstrose by the way!

im considering BAP'ing like 5 of these bridgesii stumps just to see what happens. if i do ill take pics and document it. Funny thing about BAP... i applied it to all my show cactus on my patio except for one.... my T. Bridgesii.. i didnt wanna risk any issues arising on my favorite specimen... well guess which cactus is pupping while ALL the rest are not so far lol. it must have been like "oh thanks bro ill pup naturally for you instead"

• Like 3

I would recommend using BAP only once the stumps are rooted, and only BAP 1-2 aeroles per cactus or else you risk stalling them pretty bad.

All of my cacti that I applied BAP to last year are just finally pupping after just sitting for months and months, I used way too much and on too many aeroles so it was super slow and not sure how a pup with pups coming off of it will turn out :wink:

• Like 1

I would recommend using BAP only once the stumps are rooted, and only BAP 1-2 aeroles per cactus or else you risk stalling them pretty bad.

All of my cacti that I applied BAP to last year are just finally pupping after just sitting for months and months, I used way too much and on too many aeroles so it was super slow and not sure how a pup with pups coming off of it will turn out :wink:

hmm ok looks like ill wait then.

• Like 1

Yeah. You only want to BAP rooted actively growing plants. Hope they all pup for you. (positive they will)

• Like 1

They will be fine. I am against cutting on the angle, it seems unnecessary. Mostly my concerns are aesthetic, I've never noticed it have much effect on rates of pupping. With pieces that small, most likely many will pup from the base in which case your pots may be too small, but i'd just wait and see.

They will be fine. I am against cutting on the angle, it seems unnecessary. Mostly my concerns are aesthetic, I've never noticed it have much effect on rates of pupping. With pieces that small, most likely many will pup from the base in which case your pots may be too small, but i'd just wait and see.

oh great advice i didnt know that would be a possible outcome. ill keep it in mind. I do plan on uppotting them as soon as they show root buds into whatever size seems appropriate. Also I cut them at an angle as i was taught it helps minimize standing water on the stump during rain storms. As far as aesthetics they are just my (hopefully) pup factories so im not too concerned about looks :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't put them in bigger pots too quickly (ie when root buds begin to show). Growth slows after repotting so if you are going to do that you may as well just put them in bigger pots from the get go. I'd put them in bigger pots only when the roots reach the edge of those pots. They will definitely need bigger pots when they are rooted otherwise the pups will grow skinny and slowly.

Alright sounds like some good info. That saves me on having to find room to put so many stumps in larger pots. :) Im kinda out of room at the house anyway..

Just wait a couple years when they've all grown a ton and you have a million cuttings! Lol. Then you'll really be out of room! Hehe.

lol ya im working on finding more space. my brothers yard is available. heh

• Like 1

i would get four massive and deep pots and plant all your stumps in them. they will respond well to leg room... there trichos man. givem' room to be trichos!

You know.. ive considered this. They are meant to be pup factories.. would it be best to just put like 4 stumps per 10 gallon pot? maybe 15 gallon? I don't want something so huge I cant move the pot to a new location if need be but i want them to grow very large and unhindered. I will be putting some in ground as well.

ground is best! space em at least 450 500mm in ground if your leaving em there. more if your serious!

pot factorys just smashem in there. use depth of pot to your advantage.

once they grow nice size you just take nice lenths n pot or pound!

I will add that: first i hope you knew which end was up and down on those cuttings as trichocereus cacti and most other genus wont root upside down but will rot.

I would not go any lower than 6 inch cuttings but PERSONALLY i like to use 10 inches or more because the pups/roots grow faster.

Some of those cuttings look closer to a foot long. My suggestion is to do the Log tech with it where you take the cactus and lay it on its side pushed slightly into the soil so it roots from all the areoles on its side. This method produces more roots, and more pups than normal vertical rooting in my experience.

Nice collection. I know who to come to for some nice peruvian torches in a year or two :P

I will add that: first i hope you knew which end was up and down on those cuttings as trichocereus cacti and most other genus wont root upside down but will rot.

I would not go any lower than 6 inch cuttings but PERSONALLY i like to use 10 inches or more because the pups/roots grow faster.

Some of those cuttings look closer to a foot long. My suggestion is to do the Log tech with it where you take the cactus and lay it on its side pushed slightly into the soil so it roots from all the areoles on its side. This method produces more roots, and more pups than normal vertical rooting in my experience.

Nice collection. I know who to come to for some nice peruvian torches in a year or two :P

Hm i have at least a few tricho's that have rooted upside down no problem. In fact i have a nice Bridgesii that rooted upside down and is now pupping two pups heh.

Hm i have at least a few tricho's that have rooted upside down no problem. In fact i have a nice Bridgesii that rooted upside down and is now pupping two pups heh.

and how do you know its upside down? what method did you use to figure it out. I know of 2 or 3 ways depending on which species of trich it is.

The easiest way is to look at the chalk on the outside of the cacti's body trichs form V shaped lines between the reoles in chalk and the V will be pointing to the direction which is UP.

Never have i had a trich root upside down, only species of cacti i have gotten to root upside down are in the Hylocereus genus

Edited by BillyThKid

Well it was a tip cutting. Roots formed on the tip while the cut end is cured over and has 2 pups coming out. It had been laying out on the ground for a few months. The rest of my stumps are marked as I harvested/cut them into 6" pieces. As far as I understand it, as long as the cutting is dried/cured properly on both ends (assuming its a center cut) that it will root just fine no matter orientation though it will take some time for it to figure out which way is up if you change its orientation.

If it's upside down the pups will come out pointing towards the ground and will have to curve around to get upright if I understand correctly.

Well it was a tip cutting. Roots formed on the tip while the cut end is cured over and has 2 pups coming out. It had been laying out on the ground for a few months. The rest of my stumps are marked as I harvested/cut them into 6" pieces. As far as I understand it, as long as the cutting is dried/cured properly on both ends (assuming its a center cut) that it will root just fine no matter orientation though it will take some time for it to figure out which way is up if you change its orientation.

ok so it was laying on its side? im well aware that it can root from the tip, anywhere there are areoles or vascular tissue it can root.

However did you psychically plant the cactus with the tip in the dirt? because i have done this more than once and so have many other collectors. I know at least 3 people who have gotten unmarked mid section cuttings and planted them upside down and they ended up dying. I have tried to root pilosocereus, several stenocereus, 2 trichocereus, and a few cereus cacti upside down and not a single one worked.

If it's upside down the pups will come out pointing towards the ground and will have to curve around to get upright if I understand correctly.

I dont think that is going to be the case at least in my example. The pups look like normal pups like on my other right-side up cuttings...ill try to take pics tonight and show ya what im seeing. maybe im wrong.