The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Damiana now illegal to sell in Japan

Japan is pretty strict on herbs and drugs (except mushrooms), but this is taking it too far.

Damiana ..... next they'll outlaw placebo effect wink.gif

Guest mandragora

Damiana, Ahhh very dangerous.

I hope they bann the next time Bok Choy, also very dangerous.

> Damiana ..... next they'll outlaw placebo

> effect

Heh, that'd make sense, seeing how placebo is more potent than damiana.

Originally posted by spiraleyes:

what is there reason behind mushrooms being ok?

The japanese are mycophiles and I guess limiting access to any medicinal mushroom just goes against their culture. They prefer to ignore the psychedelic shrooms rather than opening a can of worms..... although this might be coming to an end too.

Originally posted by Murple:

Heh, that'd make sense, seeing how placebo is more potent than damiana.

Actually, the reaosn why most damiana is ineffective is the fact that the active constituent appears to be in the essential oil. This oil is very volatile and disappears largely during drying. I have talked to several reasonable and critical) people who grow fresh damiana and they love it and swear by its potency. Even Turnera ulmifolia appears to be active this way.

Did you know that 100% of people who smoke damimiana die. Come to think of it, 100% of people who drink water die as well. Oh well!

Take care and be careful of everything.

The essential oils has been available commercially.

There is a compound that can produce cyanide in Damiana, rather like the Passiflora compounds. It might scare someone who wants to make sure that only safe herbs are used.

I used to love my damiana tea. I bought a big bag before sab closed down, however, it's finished now. I know happy high herbs still sell it, i'll probably get some there. I would however love some damiana seeds so I could grow my own. Where could I get some?

i'm pretty sure i've seen it in healthfood stores goamas.

Damiana seeds are nototriously difficult to germinate. So bad in fact that even in mexico they are now produced by tissue culture for the plantations. However obtaining tissue cultures is impossible as the plant is regarded as a national treasure. Forget the seed. I am dealing with AQIS at the moment to try and bring it in as a plant. For some reason they assume it to have weed potential - a conclusion they drew from the prolific seed germination of related species.